P1000 towing behind a vehicle

B

bobapplegate

Oct 14, 2020
panam
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I’ve gotta ask, why are you wanting to pull it behind another vehicle? Does it not run? Can you not get a trailer to the buggy? Are you worried about driving it on the road? But to answer your question, it should be fine if you put in neutral. And as always, pics or it didn’t happen.
good ask. yes she it is broken, no i can’t get a trailer, truck, or flatbed to it. it is five miles to the pavement down a sand track along the ocean. if it will tow in neutral without other damage i’m going for it tomorrow

B

bobapplegate

Oct 14, 2020
panam
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think most of us question what prevents you from getting the truck/trailer to the SxS?

Why tow it five miles to then load it up?
ok, i live on an island in the carib. my “road” is a sand track. i have to get it to town, put it on ferry, take it to the mainland, tow it to a loading dock, put in a truck and the truck takes it 300km to the dealer for repair in the city, it’s side of the country.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
good ask. yes she it is broken, no i can’t get a trailer, truck, or flatbed to it. it is five miles to the pavement down a sand track along the ocean. if it will tow in neutral without other damage i’m going for it tomorrow
If so move it in neutral and in turf mode it should be fine. You may need a helper to operate the brakes.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
ok, i live on an island in the carib. my “road” is a sand track. i have to get it to town, put it on ferry, take it to the mainland, tow it to a loading dock, put in a truck and the truck takes it 300km to the dealer for repair in the city, it’s side of the country.
We needed those details sooner. When I clicked on your location, Google Maps took me to a small town in western Colorado. So the legalities in the USA are irrelevant - all you want to know is if you can tow a dead Pioneer 1000, slowly, for 5 miles without doing any mechanical damage.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You’ll be as safe as possible with it in neutral and turf mode to tow it behind another machine. Having someone in it to steer and brake (even if not running though it will take more muscle) appropriately would be the best case scenario. Good luck sir. Sorry to hear it is going to be such a journey for you to get it to the shop.

Any idea what is wrong?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The shafts to the front/rear will be spinning through the engine case. They have bearings and bushings that need to be lubed. If the engine will run, then I'd run it (assuming there isn't an issue with it), and you can probably tow it to mars and back.

Otherwise, Hopefully, something is spinning with the shafts the slings oil. Otherwise, I'd limit the towing. Even if you can run the engine for 30 seconds now and then, that'd help. In the end, you gotta do what you gotta do. Certainly, some rigs have been towed that far before with no obvious damage.

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The shafts to the front/rear will be spinning through the engine case. They have bearings and bushings that need to be lubed. If the engine will run, then I'd run it (assuming there isn't an issue with it), and you can probably tow it to mars and back.

Otherwise, Hopefully, something is spinning with the shafts the slings oil. Otherwise, I'd limit the towing. Even if you can run the engine for 30 seconds now and then, that'd help. In the end, you gotta do what you gotta do. Certainly, some rigs have been towed that far before with no obvious damage.
@HondaTech Given the concerns in DG's post, is there sufficient oil circulation to safely tow a Pioneer 1000 five miles with the engine off?

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@HondaTech Given the concerns in DG's post, is there sufficient oil circulation to safely tow a Pioneer 1000 five miles with the engine off?
Sitting here thinking....and I forgot that the 1000 has a separate sub transmission, and it's design may very well "splash feed" plenty of oil for it (probably the way it "lubes" anyway) and probably doesn't feed any rotation into the actual engine in neutral.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
it’s pretty simple. i live way off the pavement. i need to tow my pioneer in to town using a tow strap to put it on a truck to transport it to a shop
Yes. This would be fine. No issues at all. A driver, neutral and turf as said above, you can pull long distances if needed.

As DG said. Everything concerning is splash feed.

amgdriver

amgdriver

Oct 4, 2020
Amelia Island Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This does not sound like a good idea unless u are making a u tube fail vid. Maybe a real short distance in a must do situation but this has the making of not ending well. Too many things can go wrong Buy rent or borrow a trailer

R

rickoshea

This does not sound like a good idea unless u are making a u tube fail vid. Maybe a real short distance in a must do situation but this has the making of not ending well. Too many things can go wrong Buy rent or borrow a trailer
he can't get a truck or trailer to it,apparently.

Reactions: Rick53
Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
Wouldn't make sense to not be able to tow it back to civilization. TOW IT BACK.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've towed vehicles for miles, all you need is a reasonably long strap so you're not following so close that the towed driver doesn't have time to react. It's mechanically safe for the Pioneer, which I think was the original question, good to go.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!