P1000 Assembled vehicle title equipment inspection - Michigan

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I need to clarify my State Farm quote. The $1332 quote was for me. The $713 quote is for my wife. Needless to say the insurance is in my wife's name. There is no explanation for the difference. We are the same age and no tickets or accidents in many years.
My $810 covers any licensed driver but excludes any coverage if I go through the ice

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
J

Jimrm

Mar 22, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Finally happened. We got stopped by the Colorado state police today. He says the michigan plate is no good in Colorado. Tried to reason with him to no avail. The officer connected me to his supervisor and same results. The guy threatened to have us towed, but backed off eventually. I'm under the assumption that I'm legal in any state in the union. I've searched and so far cannot find anything that will work for proof that my vehicle can drive on Colorado roads. Can anyone cite me a law that allows or prohibits this activity?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Finally happened. We got stopped by the Colorado state police today. He says the michigan plate is no good in Colorado. Tried to reason with him to no avail. The officer connected me to his supervisor and same results. The guy threatened to have us towed, but backed off eventually. I'm under the assumption that I'm legal in any state in the union. I've searched and so far cannot find anything that will work for proof that my vehicle can drive on Colorado roads. Can anyone cite me a law that allows or prohibits this activity?
@Tramguage1 you might spread this to the group that goes West a lot?

Reactions: ChadD
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with you. I think there must be a document somewhere online that defines the fact that it's legal to drive my machine in colorado. Now to find it.

Might start here:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
says the michigan plate is no good in Colorado. Tried to reason with him to no avail. The officer connected me to his supervisor and same results.
Well the Colorado State government did turn lib so 🤷‍♂️
No surprises there! Look at our $hit show run by Big Gretch and her brown shirts.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well the Colorado State government did turn lib so 🤷‍♂️
No surprises there! Look at our $hit show run by Big Gretch and her brown shirts.
He said he's got a Michigan plate so it must be legal to drive there.
I just got turned down where I live in Ohio. My city allows golf cart street use but NOT utvs.
So maybe I need to get some golf cart body panels and some clubs for the back

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
He said he's got a Michigan plate so it must be legal to drive there.
🤣 You would think that it would be the same because of that right? Lol but that’s the hypocrisy of the left just like the Nazis they’d turn on their own people in five seconds.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
🤣 You would think that it would be the same because of that right? Lol but that’s the hypocrisy of the left just like the Nazis they’d turn on their own people in five seconds.
Not sure how your r/l theory causes this problem. My local gvmt. Is largely republican and they allow pink and brightly colored golf carts but not a UTV.
I haven't decided if or how I would fight it.
The wording at the bottom of BMV form 1373: states the operator must find out WHERE the vehicle is Allowed to be driven in each jurisdiction. Its BS for sure. I got blinkers and all that do me no good.

Reactions: ChadD
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Not sure how your r/l theory causes this problem. My local gvmt. Is largely republican
Your Gov is full of Rhinos then.

Look deep into the corrupt Gov currently of Michigan in the past 10 or so years and you will answer your own question. There is so much swamp to wade through trying to explain in depth on this platform would take writing a New York Best seller novel. Thats how the libs like to make it happen, slow and easy so u dont know how it can happen

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Not sure how your r/l theory causes this problem. My local gvmt. Is largely republican and they allow pink and brightly colored golf carts but not a UTV.
I haven't decided if or how I would fight it.
Local government doesn't create state laws. If it's local only, it would likely be an ordinance.

The wording at the bottom of BMV form 1373: states the operator must find out WHERE the vehicle is Allowed to be driven in each jurisdiction. Its BS for sure. I got blinkers and all that do me no good.
How long as that state law been in place? Who sponsored the bill that became law? Who signed it into law? Just because your local government is largely Rebublican TODAY doesn't mean they are responsible for all past legislation. IIRC, Ohio has spent plenty of time under Democrat leadership (and I use that word loosely when referring to liberals in power).

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The link provided by @LarryAmboy shows Colorado doesn't have reprocity for street legal UTVs. Just like CPL laws, some states recognize them, others don't.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
How long as that state law been in place? Who sponsored the bill that became law? Who signed it into law? Just because your local government is largely Rebublican TODAY doesn't mean they are responsible for all past legislation. IIRC, Ohio has spent plenty of time under Democrat leadership (and I use that word loosely when referring to liberals in power).
Agreed

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Might start here:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unfortunately this link isn’t completely accurate.

Ex…by following this link it tells you South Dakota is forbidden. Montana is another.

In South Dakota my UTV is registered just like a motorcycle. Must have headlights brake light and a lighted license plate and a mirror. The utv must be able to go 45, and can operate on ANY state, county or township road except the interstate.

Also talks about reciprocity but then doesn’t clearly state if the destination state allows reciprocity or not.

Passing thru Colorado years ago, I remember seeing all kinds of them on the state highways. Maybe they were jumping trails? I don’t know for sure.

imo don’t trust the internet…make a call to the destination sheriffs office. They will give it to you straight. It’s not like UTVs haven’t been around for a few years now.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Sadly, local LE doesn't always know the law. Some because they don't know it and some because they choose to not know it (if you know what I mean).

Call just about any LE agency in MI and ask them a question about firearms. 80% will give you a wrong answer. Most gun aficionados know more about thier state laws than LE in thier municipality.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

I'm surprised this simple issue is still being kicked around without resolution.

The CO state police officer was clearly correct. To him it was very simple. UTVs, ATVs, ORVs are not allowed to be licensed or operated on the highways, roads, and streets in Colorado so he enforced CO law. The state of MI has no authority whatsoever to authorize ORV registration or use on public roads in CO. Period. There is no reciprocity agreement for this issue.

How would each of us like it if our state prohibits ORV use but someone from another state can operate an ORV in our state?

Understanding begins with the US Constitution. The Constitution established the United States as a constitutional republic made up of 50 sovereign states. All powers not granted to the Republic remain with each state. CO and all states have the power to make and enforce laws within their state.

Reciprocity only exists between states for activities that are legal in both states. Each state has the sovereign power to make and enforce laws allowing registration and operation of passenger vehicles and light trucks on their public roads. All states allow this and all states allow passenger cars and light trucks registered in another state by residents of the other state to operate within the other state for a limited time only. Reciprocity agreements are convenient. They often apply for concealed carry and other activities.

ORVs are not legally operated in all states so reciprocity agreements do not apply.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!