P1000 Assembled vehicle title equipment inspection - Michigan

J

Jimrm

Mar 22, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Attempting to get my p1k street legal. Modifications are complete and had a county sheriff do the inspection. The problem is neither the county or state police do the equipment inspection portion of form TR-54. They only verify the vin. Does anyone know how to proceed? The State police suggested possibly a salvage vehicle title certified officer could do it. I'm in Allegan county Michigan and haven't been able to locate one of those.

J

Jimrm

Mar 22, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I used a P700 parking brake lever and cable along with Version 23 go kart calipers. The mounting plates were cut from 1/4" aluminum using the mud guard for the bolt hole template. The cable splitter is mounted on the frame under the dump box.

20221118 093716 20221118 093735 20221118 093758 20221118 093812

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I used a P700 parking brake lever and cable along with Version 23 go kart calipers. The mounting plates were cut from 1/4" aluminum using the mud guard for the bolt hole template. The cable splitter is mounted on the frame under the dump box.

View attachment 375244 View attachment 375245 View attachment 375246 View attachment 375247
Holy sheeeet!
so how much is this setting u back so far? Last and only known guy besides you that did it in our state it wasn't cheep!

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is the parking brake a michigan only thing ?
Yup! From the Picky money hungary Putrid Swamp Government we have!

The other issue is the Local and State police have no Idea what to do with it. Nor are they on the same page with the SOS or DOT depending on what your state calls it. Communication sucks!
my Cousin is a sheriff and he had no idea we need all that crap to street legal a sxs. He said as long as I seen a plate and your waring your seat belt and all the lights work, and your not on the expressway….hes good with that!

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
my Cousin is a sheriff and he had no idea we need all that crap to street legal a sxs. He said as long as I seen a plate and your waring your seat belt and all the lights work, and your not on the expressway….hes good with that!
He's the sheriff? Or a deputy sheriff? Just curious.

That said, there is a huge difference between what is in codified law versus what laws or ordinances a LEO chooses to enforce. The latter won't help one bit (nor provide a defense) if he chooses to ignore someone right before they get into an accident on a public roadway.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
He's the sheriff? Or a deputy sheriff? Just curious.

That said, there is a huge difference between what is in codified law versus what laws or ordinances a LEO chooses to enforce. The latter won't help one bit (nor provide a defense) if he chooses to ignore someone right before they get into an accident on a public roadway.
Hes a Sargent (Not Deputy) for the Sheriffs dept. 19 yrs now. Not disclosing the county for confidentiality

He follows the rules to a T and very thorough. When he said that, is cuz he went through all there books and regs and there isnt anything stating hard (NH) law on the subject. Just like the farm plate. I asked him and he searched hard (NH) up and down and checked with other departments, state, DNR. took him 2 months to get back with me, said theres no hard (NH) evidence or firm law on it. His words were “like the sxs deal, too much red tape to determine whats right or wrong and by forcing something opens things up for lawsuits against the agency not to mention the state, worst thing that will happen is that we can confiscate your plate” He also said regarding sxs’s to just stay off the expressway and M roads be smart, use your lights and belt obey the signs and lights and dont drive like an idiot and we wont bother you.

Thats all I got!

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Hes a Sargent (Not Deputy) for the Sheriffs dept. 19 yrs now. Not disclosing the county for confidentiality

He follows the rules to a T and very thorough. When he said that, is cuz he went through all there books and regs and there isnt anything stating hard (NH) law on the subject. Just like the farm plate. I asked him and he searched hard (NH) up and down and checked with other departments, state, DNR. took him 2 months to get back with me, said theres no hard (NH) evidence or firm law on it. His words were “like the sxs deal, too much red tape to determine whats right or wrong and by forcing something opens things up for lawsuits against the agency not to mention the state, worst thing that will happen is that we can confiscate your plate” He also said regarding sxs’s to just stay off the expressway and M roads be smart, use your lights and belt obey the signs and lights and dont drive like an idiot and we wont bother you.

Thats all I got!
Sergeant: The last rank before a LEO stops being an officer. We always said anything above the rank of Sergeant is a politician. :)

No laws on the books that make driving an otherwise normal ORV originally manufactured as/for an ORV on a public roadway illegal? Of course, there are.

If a LEO chooses to pull you over (plated or not), just like they do with any other on-road vehicle, you'll need to produce valid registration and proof of basic liability insurance, again, just like with any other on-road vehicle. If there are equipment violations or deficiencies, just like any other on-road vehicle, you can be cited for that as well. And, yes, there are a number of situations where a plate can be confiscated and even destroyed (registration cancelled by SOS), most arising from misdemeanor offenses.

I'm not referring to ORVs being driving on the side of the public roadways up north, can't (legally) exceed 25 MPH, and must stay off of state highways or expressways. That's most of northern Michigan and da UP. I'm talking about a Pioneers, Talons, Razors and other ORVs bobbing down the middle of the public roadway like any other on-road vehicle.

Farm plates aren't related to otherwise normal on-road, registered vehicles becuase, unlike normal plates, there are usage restrictions attached to them. MCL s 257.801(1)(c) and 257.802(10) covers the issuance of farm plates, and that has to do with reducing the COST of the plate based on how the vehicle is to be used, and the law most certainly defines what the restrictions and usage of farm plates are legal for. Part of obtaining farm plates requires you to sign a 'Qualfiying Use' form (SOS-437) standing that you understand and agree to those restrictions.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sergeant: The last rank before a LEO stops being an officer. We always said anything above the rank of Sergeant is a politician. :)

No laws on the books that make driving an otherwise normal ORV originally manufactured as/for an ORV on a public roadway illegal? Of course, there are.

If a LEO chooses to pull you over (plated or not), just like they do with any other on-road vehicle, you'll need to produce valid registration and proof of basic liability insurance, again, just like with any other on-road vehicle. If there are equipment violations or deficiencies, just like any other on-road vehicle, you can be cited for that as well. And, yes, there are a number of situations where a plate can be confiscated and even destroyed (registration cancelled by SOS), most arising from misdemeanor offenses.

I'm not referring to ORVs being driving on the side of the public roadways up north, can't (legally) exceed 25 MPH, and must stay off of state highways or expressways. That's most of northern Michigan and da UP. I'm talking about a Pioneers, Talons, Razors and other ORVs bobbing down the middle of the public roadway like any other on-road vehicle.

Farm plates aren't related to otherwise normal on-road, registered vehicles becuase, unlike normal plates, there are usage restrictions attached to them. MCL s 257.801(1)(c) and 257.802(10) covers the issuance of farm plates, and that has to do with reducing the COST of the plate based on how the vehicle is to be used, and the law most certainly defines what the restrictions and usage of farm plates are legal for. Part of obtaining farm plates requires you to sign a 'Qualfiying Use' form (SOS-437) standing that you understand and agree to those restrictions.
You should right a book on this for Christ sake! 🤣
Are or where u a so called LEO? Only asking cuz that was way super technical especially for those in Reo Linda. Lol
I juat gave u a Clift notes verson of what he has told me. I trust him with alot of things. All that other stuff u sited is Bla Bla Bla to me lol.
And your thing about the farm plate, (sorry I brought that up folks)
Thats the info I gave him and my reply what what he and others in reality in the field came up with.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Are or where u a so called LEO? Only asking cuz that was way super technical especially for those in Reo Linda. Lol
I juat gave u a Clift notes verson of what he has told me. I trust him with alot of things. All that other stuff u sited is Bla Bla Bla to me lol.
And your thing about the farm plate, (sorry I brought that up folks)
Thats the info I gave him and my reply what what he and others in reality in the field came up with.
I know who you are talking about and I can't see his posts....🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My new home state of WV is not known for being progressive or innovative but the WV legislature created a practical law and procedures for registering ATV/UTVs for street use. It's very simple.

If a buggy is equipped with required equipment: windshield, usual head and taillamps, license plate lamp, horn, turn signals, emergency flashers, and three rear view mirrors, liability insurance policy it can be inspected by a licensed state inspection station,

Motorsports dealers can be licensed to perform state inspections and in the local Beckley area, a stand alone state inspection station that does auto service including oil changes, basic repairs like brakes, and inspections does mine.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Affirmative, sir. 😉 Up until the vehicle/pedestrian hit-skip (not while 10-8).

Last edited:
Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, it's been since last summer (May or June) that I've posted. It wasn't that I don't like the folks here, I was just taking a partial break from blogs, forums and other social media stuff for awhile. This topic has my interest though. I'm toying with legalizing my P1K5 as well for the roads here in Michigan. I bought a turn signal kit/horn kit last year here for that purpose.

For @Jimrm, I was with the MSP for 27+ years, retiring as a sergeant, (whew, I didn't go any higher @Scoop ) and then did another six years part time with Berrien Co SD as a deputy. I might know the person you referenced to do your inspection. I'm in Cheboygan County now enjoying the north. They're pretty laid back up here.

It does vary from county to county as to what you can get away with in Northern Michigan but it's more relaxed than Lower Michigan. If I follow up on my ambition, I'm going to get those signals and horn on. I'll fabricate a manual wiper that I'll never intend to use on my windshield (acrylic, like any plastic, will scratch too easy). Then I'll get a TR-54 form off the internet to get a trooper to sign off on. I'll find out then if the parking brake is an issue. If so, I'll see what they say to the Hillbilly brake. In the meantime, I'll be curious how your approach pans out.

On a side note, I passed a DNR officer in the opposite direction last summer on a dirt road with my 12 year old son sitting on my lap. We were taking up our half of the road eastbound. He waved and kept going westbound. Yep, the north is relaxed.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Easier to ask for forgiveness than permission! I got my TN tag just to have it. Don’t have any extra equipment installed yet, and probably won’t do so. The streets I ride on are somewhat rural. Act like you know what you are doing and if you ever get stopped be polite.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
My new home state of WV is not known for being progressive or innovative but the WV legislature created a practical law and procedures for registering ATV/UTVs for street use. It's very simple.

If a buggy is equipped with required equipment: windshield, usual head and taillamps, license plate lamp, horn, turn signals, emergency flashers, and three rear view mirrors, liability insurance policy it can be inspected by a licensed state inspection station,

Motorsports dealers can be licensed to perform state inspections and in the local Beckley area, a stand alone state inspection station that does auto service including oil changes, basic repairs like brakes, and inspections does mine.
Here in Ohio once you have the required equip. just go to the sheriff office and they inspect it and sign off. take that form to the title office and get it retitled then get plates. the county I live in wouldn't do the title she was really nasty, went the next county over and the lady was real sweet and it didn't take 15 min. for title and plates

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!