Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I'll see what they say to the Hillbilly brake. In the meantime, I'll be curious how your approach pans out.
From the One guy on here a while back that went through alll that here and spent a ton doing so, Those were frowned upon. You had to have a mechanical one. It was quite expensive to mod one on. The OP hasnt said how much that P7 brake has set him back yet? Might not want to say lol.

J

Jimrm

Mar 22, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Actually the parking brake was one of the cheaper items. The p700 brake lever was $32 on ebay, cables $20, calipers $50, many of my hours making it work $0. @Stateboy, the acrylic windshield won't go. It needs to be laminated dot approved glass. The Tensor Regulator A/T dot tires were the most expensive items $800.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Here is the the one i keep mentioning. Either her took the cost down I asked him about (cuz it was insane by the time he was done)
Or put it in another theread. But its the most comprehensive for legalizing in our state. He hasnt been on in quite but popped in on the 3rd of this month with no post. Not sure if he still has the rig.

J

Jimrm

Mar 22, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Street legal update. Finally found an officer willing to do the inspection two counties away in Berrien county Michigan. It passed with no issues. The next stop is the SOS to apply for the street legal title.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Street legal update. Finally found an officer willing to do the inspection two counties away in Berrien county Michigan. It passed with no issues. The next stop is the SOS to apply for the street legal title.
Did he check your parking brake? Just curious.

J

Jimrm

Mar 22, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Today we applied for the new title and vin number. The lady at the sos has done it before so it went smoothly. Now the long wait for the new vin and another equipment inspection by someone from the state. For the officer inspection I left it strapped down to the trailer. The officer only wanted to see the parking brake handle. He was mainly concerned with the brake lights, turn signals, horn, wiper/washer and the glass windshield. He didn't check the tires for DOT. I've heard the state inspector needs to see the parking brake work.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man I love living in my state at times.

All I had to do is to have a working brake light, rear view mirror and a lighted license bracket plus proof of insurance ….IE exactly like a motorcycle. They didn’t even check…100% on my word.

I really sympathize with those who have to stand on their heads for the simplest of things.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Today we applied for the new title and vin number. The lady at the sos has done it before so it went smoothly. Now the long wait for the new vin and another equipment inspection by someone from the state. For the officer inspection I left it strapped down to the trailer. The officer only wanted to see the parking brake handle. He was mainly concerned with the brake lights, turn signals, horn, wiper/washer and the glass windshield. He didn't check the tires for DOT. I've heard the state inspector needs to see the parking brake work.
Glad your getting towards the end of this BS. Your gonna have to give us a revamped (from you last post) total cost, insurance and man hrs it took to get this done. Only asking for others that might want to take this plunge. Plus you started the thread, ;)
Dint be like Epstine and leave us hanging

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Did your current carrier for your auto policy let you add it as an additional vehicle or did you have to get your PLPD coverage elsewhere? I know some won't cover assembled vehicles.

J

Jimrm

Mar 22, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did your current carrier for your auto policy let you add it as an additional vehicle or did you have to get your PLPD coverage elsewhere? I know some won't cover assembled vehicles.
We haven't done any insurance shopping yet. Waiting for the new title to start looking. We are using Hartford for our other vehicles. Does anyone have input on a carrier?

Reactions: ChadD and Buggyman
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
We haven't done any insurance shopping yet. Waiting for the new title to start looking. We are using Hartford for our other vehicles. Does anyone have input on a carrier?
You will find most carriers won't insure SxS's unless you have your home & auto with them. And there are lots that won't touch them no matter what. Not sure what Hartford's stance is.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Always best to keep with the multi-vehicle discount as well as multi-policy discounts (home, auto, boat, life, etc.) if you can. It should cost you about the same as any of your other on-road vehicles for the liability and property damage.

Reactions: ChadD and Buggyman
J

Jimrm

Mar 22, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The inspection person from the state was here today. He hops out of his car and says "show me your vin number". So I show him and he proceeds to clean off a spot and applys the new vin sticker. Basically got back in his car and left. He didn't look at anything at all. He says the new vin will be good by Thursday afternoon. Just need to take a picture of it and go to sos for the new plate. I got a quote from State Farm for plpd and comprehensive insurance for $1332 per year. Full coverage would be $2200 per year. Waiting for one other quote. Our carrier The Hartford won't insure it. It looks like we will be street legal by Friday.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The inspection person from the state was here today. He hops out of his car and says "show me your vin number". So I show him and he proceeds to clean off a spot and applys the new vin sticker. Basically got back in his car and left. He didn't look at anything at all. He says the new vin will be good by Thursday afternoon. Just need to take a picture of it and go to sos for the new plate. I got a quote from State Farm for plpd and comprehensive insurance for $1332 per year. Full coverage would be $2200 per year. Waiting for one other quote. Our carrier The Hartford won't insure it. It looks like we will be street legal by Friday.
Check with sledinsure.com. I found them years ago when my carrier wouldn't insure my snowmobiles, Ino longer have sleds but still have my buggies insured through them via Progressive

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Just go directly to Progressive. They had the best rate for our buggy.
Normally I would agree, but with my sleds calling Progressive directly was quite a bit more, online the same. Through Sam (agent @ sledinsure) it was about 40% less. I had one claim, not at fault as someone ran into me, and it was taken care of quickly so the coverages were right.
Is this bc of the street legal status or something? I insure all my crap with Allstate and I pay $212 a yr for the P5 with an added $5k for accessories. 🤷‍♂️
Yup, it's all about risk, a buggy is at greater risk on the road, higher chance of getting hit or in an accident. As an off-road vehicle they're not expecting you to be running down the Xway @ 75mph or more.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!