P500 Towable Cover for 500/520

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I've been trying to figure out the best way to tow the 520 with the soft doors on - talked to dealer a bit when I picked it up and he suggested trailering it backwards and also looking into the towable cover.

It doesn't look like they have one specifically for the 520 with the bed. I was just wondering if anyone with a 500 that has purchased the towable cover can comment on how tight the fit is? I was also thinking about the 700-2 cover but feel like that might be a bit too big and floppy.

I've also read past threads where guys run a bungee around the cab to keep the doors from flapping but not sure how I could rig that up.

Any ideas? The doors were apparently a pain for them to install also(I can attest to that haha) so they aren't coming off again. Thanks ahead of time

S l400

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
It's my understanding that no cover is truly towable. Unless it fits tight as a glove you'll tear it up.
I'm not worried about tearing it up as long as it protects the machine? Unless it like straight up tore off the first time towing 🤣 which may be the case...

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The P5 towable cover won’t survive towing. Don’t bother to try it unless you are into throwing money away. I don’t think it would fit the P520 either as it does follow the P500 shape pretty well.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Added Locking "T" handle form truck cap <> Rear window & or side floppy windows.
ADDED a Vent in the upper rear panel of OEM Roof <> open when towing relieves the air pressure <> & air flow in warm weather.

FYI : Plan ahead <> Covers can & will raise hell with Windshield & any Plastic or Paint Finish <> Cover flapping against & add a little dirt , dust & mud. Windshield Protector at the Least WILL be Needed.
Had a 2009 rzr with Cover <> made a clamp-on windshield protector cover stayed on & held up good ( helped keep snow - sand - salt off late hunting season & winter use with tracks.
All trips were 100 miles or less at 65 MPH & under

20210830 133657 20210830 133824 20210306 165657

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
I've been trying to figure out the best way to tow the 520 with the soft doors on - talked to dealer a bit when I picked it up and he suggested trailering it backwards and also looking into the towable cover.

It doesn't look like they have one specifically for the 520 with the bed. I was just wondering if anyone with a 500 that has purchased the towable cover can comment on how tight the fit is? I was also thinking about the 700-2 cover but feel like that might be a bit too big and floppy.

I've also read past threads where guys run a bungee around the cab to keep the doors from flapping but not sure how I could rig that up.

Any ideas? The doors were apparently a pain for them to install also(I can attest to that haha) so they aren't coming off again. Thanks ahead of time

View attachment 295074

A good friend of mine bought Honda's "towable" cover for his 1000-5. It did tear off first trip. I tend to think the only way to combat wind/road wash and so on is an enclosed trailer. Which is unfortunate for most because they don't give those away lol. I would save the money and avoid the towable cover for what it's worth. However if you do get one and it turns out to work well please share. It would be nice to not have to scrub bugs off the windshield before you leave the truck on a ride ;-)

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
Cargo trailer! 😆
Was debating on that initially but didn't have a place for it...now have a storage unit spot that it could sit. Just not sure I want to deal with the used market again and trailer swapping.

The P5 towable cover won’t survive towing. Don’t bother to try it unless you are into throwing money away. I don’t think it would fit the P520 either as it does follow the P500 shape pretty well.
Thanks dude that helps a lot!

Added Locking "T" handle form truck cap <> Rear window & or side floppy windows.
ADDED a Vent in the upper rear panel of OEM Roof <> open when towing relieves the air pressure <> & air flow in warm weather.

FYI : Plan ahead <> Covers can & will raise hell with Windshield & any Plastic or Paint Finish <> Cover flapping against & add a little dirt , dust & mud. Windshield Protector at the Least WILL be Needed.
Had a 2009 rzr with Cover <> made a clamp-on windshield protector cover stayed on & held up good ( helped keep snow - sand - salt off late hunting season & winter use with tracks.
All trips were 100 miles or less at 65 MPH & under

View attachment 295332 View attachment 295333 View attachment 295335

All good info, thanks Pappy. I was wondering about your T-Handles on your doors - I noticed mine didn't have them and thought I might have been gypped haha.

Was planning on towing it backwards with the rear panel open, windows down, and the front windshield vent open. My main concern is the door flap and material getting beat up. Good to know about the cover trapping debris and protecting the windshield. all makes sense for sure.

A good friend of mine bought Honda's "towable" cover for his 1000-5. It did tear off first trip. I tend to think the only way to combat wind/road wash and so on is an enclosed trailer. Which is unfortunate for most because they don't give those away lol. I would save the money and avoid the towable cover for what it's worth. However if you do get one and it turns out to work well please share. It would be nice to not have to scrub bugs off the windshield before you leave the truck on a ride ;-)

Helps a ton man, exactly what my fear was - straight ripping off first trip. I think I'm gonna save the money haha....will have to figure out another route

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
A friend has a Honda 1000 with a factory roof and a windshield that folds down in the center and a soft rear window. I don't know who made the windshield. He removed the rear window so it wouldn't tear, folded the windshield down. Loaded it on his trailer backwards. He towed it up I 95 at interstate speeds to Va. Bugs were now on the inside of the windshield and the plastic around two of the fasteners was broken. One cracked badly the other one was completely torn loose. He towed it home facing forward with no more damage. He called the mfg. and was advised the problem was the windshield was designed to rest on the roll cage under the air pressure and by towing it backwards all the pressure was on the fasteners and broke. They also told him to not tow it at high speeds backwards with a roof and full windshield as this could cause excessive pressure and damage be done to the windshield and/or roof. I have towed mine on the interstate facing forward many times with no damage except to my wallet. I just clean the bugs off go about my business. The windshield damage wasn't covered by warranty but he was able to get it repaired.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
This is what I look like going on long trips. I used some of the sticky plastic film used to protect floors during construction on my windshield to stop the scratches from rubbing.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
This is what I look like going on long trips. I used some of the sticky plastic film used to protect floors during construction on my windshield to stop the scratches from rubbing.

View attachment 295521
I like this idea a lot man, atleast something solid to bungee on the doors from flapping.

Are the bolts on the door protector just connecting the wood piece? what material are the door protectors? If you have more pictures of just the door pieces that would be awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post on the thread

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
The doors are some 1/4" plastic sheet I got from Menards. I need to get you some better photos as I've changed them some this year. I use them when I goto Montana and South Dakota. They let me stuff a bunch of light stuff in cab and keep things dry for the most part. A ratching takedown sucks both panels in tight and another piece covers the back opening.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
The doors are some 1/4" plastic sheet I got from Menards. I need to get you some better photos as I've changed them some this year. I use them when I goto Montana and South Dakota. They let me stuff a bunch of light stuff in cab and keep things dry for the most part. A ratching takedown sucks both panels in tight and another piece covers the back opening.
That would be awesome if you had some more pics...great idea man I like it. If I have the doors supported like that, I wouldn't have any worries about trailering with the soft doors.

B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
You may think of getting a roll of vynal wrap the white stuff for boats. And heat wrapping it after its on the trailer. If you use some pool noodle foam on sharp edges and get some of the tarp clamps from harbor fright to tie it down it would make a nice Towing cover. I used one wrap for 4 winters to cover my truck camper and once it is shrieked it is some stuff stuff.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
This panel covers the rear

I had some problems with air wanting to push the doors out on my June trip to South Dakota so I stiffened it up with the thin wall angle iron.

And on the inside I added the plastic blocks to locate and lock the panels in. The green hook on the bottom hooks over the cage just behind the door. The eye bolts on the top are for a tie down that goes between them and pulls them in tight. I put the tie down in and the slip the rear panel in under the roof and put a tie down around it to secure it.

I normally only use the panels for longer trips. Takes about a 1/2 hour to get everything installed. Things generally stay pretty dry on the trips. this lets me load the cab up with all the bulky light stuff.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
This panel covers the rear

View attachment 295971View attachment 295973

I had some problems with air wanting to push the doors out on my June trip to South Dakota so I stiffened it up with the thin wall angle iron.
View attachment 295974

And on the inside I added the plastic blocks to locate and lock the panels in. The green hook on the bottom hooks over the cage just behind the door. The eye bolts on the top are for a tie down that goes between them and pulls them in tight. I put the tie down in and the slip the rear panel in under the roof and put a tie down around it to secure it.

View attachment 295975

I normally only use the panels for longer trips. Takes about a 1/2 hour to get everything installed. Things generally stay pretty dry on the trips. this lets me load the cab up with all the bulky light stuff.
Thanks a lot man I appreciate it! I towed it backwards yesterday for 20-30 miles going between 50-60mph. Windows down, back panel unzipped, and front windshield vent open. No damage, but the fabric on those doors just wants to flap.

I really like your idea man...I need to figure out where I can source some of that plastic sheeting. Thanks for posting the pics!!

Reactions: rtn001 and Lady01
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 295074
I have this cover and I have towed it on the interstate for up to 4 hours at a time and it has worked well, does have one small tear from where the cargo bed light is installed on the back of my roof. Just be sure and tape a micro fiber towel over the windshield or it will be hazy when you get where you are going. I hate taking my doors on and off so this works well. Now that i have a bed on it i am thinking about cutting the bed portion off of it, for now i just tuck in between the bed and back of cab.

rustyneversleeps

rustyneversleeps

Supporting Member
Mar 29, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 520
I have this cover and I have towed it on the interstate for up to 4 hours at a time and it has worked well, does have one small tear from where the cargo bed light is installed on the back of my roof. Just be sure and tape a micro fiber towel over the windshield or it will be hazy when you get where you are going. I hate taking my doors on and off so this works well. Now that i have a bed on it i am thinking about cutting the bed portion off of it, for now i just tuck in between the bed and back of cab.
Thanks man, got me re-thinking a little. Do you have any pics of it strapped up/loaded up on the trailer? I have a windshield cover I normally use....so maybe just throw the windshield cover on and the towable cover and strap it up.

Reactions: rtn001 and Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!