P1000m5 Trail Armor Full UHMW Skids for Pioneer 1000 - $750

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Both but if you're older than 18 a lift even a chain lift to the front bumper is NICE!
anybody used their winch to raise the front of the machine for working underneath? I would think it should be OK...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
anybody used their winch to raise the front of the machine for working underneath? I would think it should be OK...

It would be fine I just wouldn't trust only the cable or winch brake to hold it while you work under it, should back it up with jack stands for safety. But this is coming from a guy who put his skids on in the dark while raining 450 miles from home using only two ratchet straps. :confused:

20151222 211421 20151222 213210 20151223 003447

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It would be fine I just wouldn't trust only the cable or winch brake to hold it while you work under it, should back it up with jack stands for safety. But this is coming from a guy who put his skids on in the dark while raining 450 miles from home using only two ratchet straps. :confused:

View attachment 9048 View attachment 9049 View attachment 9050
so if I back up the winch with ratchet straps, I'll be twice as safe as you were???lol

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
so if I back up the winch with ratchet straps, I'll be twice as safe as you were???lol
EXACTLY! Seriously though if you are referring to standing it straight up balanced on rear tires you should be just fine but if you are referring to stopping at a 45 degree angle and getting under it that's a little different.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
EXACTLY! Seriously though if you are referring to standing it straight up balanced on rear tires you should be just fine but if you are referring to stopping at a 45 degree angle and getting under it that's a little different.
I'll probably take it pretty close to vertical but still loaded on the winch a little. Then back up the winch with some caving rope or something.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just installed the trail armor skids . Didn't lift it. I could crawl underneath and zip,zip,zip, easiest aftermarket parts I've ever installed

Reactions: Delton and joeymt33
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just installed the trail armor skids . Didn't lift it. I could crawl underneath and zip,zip,zip, easiest aftermarket parts I've ever installed
Now I can tackle anything. Mud flaps, and skids . I've got nothing left to buy for my sxs!!!! What to do now.... start on a new one ?! :)

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just purchased a set of Trail armor skids and A-Arm protectors today. I was not going to buy these because I felt that if I waited a little while some one would come out with something that did not require drilling holes to install. Well I was riding today at the hunting club and in order to go from one section of the club to another we just ride or buggies down the shoulder of the road. Well I was doing just that, have done it 10,000 times when all of the sudden I heard a loud thud from under my machine. Got out and looked under the drivers side and I'll be danged I hit something big and hard enough to knock a hole in one of the bars that support the floor board. The hole is about 1 inch long but not in the main part of the frame. It was right were I figured that something like this would happen when I first looked at the machine. I walked back to where I thought I hit the object and found it. It was a piece of steel plate 1/4 inches thick. Looked like a belly pan off of a tractor or other machine. It was buried up in a fire ant hill in tall grass. When my tire hit the thing it flipped up and nailed the bar under the floor board. Been driving these things for some 30 plus years now. First time anything like that has happened. Probably a 1 in a billion chance of it happening the way it did but it did. I am not too worried about the damage as it seems that the bar that was damaged only supports the floor board. I am going to weld her up, throw some paint on it and mount my skid plates. That'll teach me to wait on something I know darn well I will need. :D

rubicon05

rubicon05

Dec 24, 2015
Southern, IN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those with these a-arm guards.....do the front have sufficient protection? Looking at the picks it looks a little less than I'd like especially on the outside boot....

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Those with these a-arm guards.....do the front have sufficient protection? Looking at the picks it looks a little less than I'd like especially on the outside boot....
Ya I know what you mean. I am not wooried as much about the boots as I am something jumping up when a tire hits it just right and comeing through the floor board or damaging the steel tubes or frame as it did mine. If I had went with my gut and had them on there I believe that this would never have panned out like it did. Always follow your gut instincts. (Rule # 25)

BigCypress73

BigCypress73

Apr 14, 2016
florida
Do you need to pre drill the holes for the trail armour skids. Has anyone just used the self tapping screws without pre-drilling? Im putting mine on tomorrow!

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you need to pre drill the holes for the trail armour skids. Has anyone just used the self tapping screws without pre-drilling? Im putting mine on tomorrow!
I predrilled mine... it made life much easier... small hole will do it.

cruddy0815

cruddy0815

Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2016
Northern Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Love the weight advantage. Ease of installation is always a top benefit. I agree with the comment regarding full protection on the A arms. Don't really do too much with large rocks around here that could cause major damage, but there is always the hidden stump lying there in waiting, (sneaky bastards).

I'm looking to add a full skid in lieu of the thinner factory plastic. But I'm looking for front and rear guards that provide good protection for the CV boot. Biggest problem around here is trudging through mud and having a stick fly up and cut the boot. I've changed several for friends and couple of my own over the histroy of our wheeling, and making our big Mud Run trips.

Any recommendations on A arm protection that will protect Das Boot, and not get in the way of a full skid or any other mods? Was seriously gonna pull the trigger on Honda's, but figure there has to be something better out there.

BigCypress73

BigCypress73

Apr 14, 2016
florida
Install mine yesterday. At first it seemed like the panels were not Lining up with the existing screw holes and bars properly, but as I added the additional panels everything lined up perfect. The self tapping screws worked great and everyone of them seemed to get a solid bite into the metal. I hole punched, pre drilled with a small bit and screwed in self tappers. It took about 3-4 hours. We pulled the 1000 up buy roll bar using tow rope and truck. See pics!!
IMG 0512
IMG 0521
IMG 0519

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!