100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have any of you ever flipped your Axel so it rides below the springs? I was thinking of doing this to gain a little more clearance. what are y'alls thoughts? Thanks

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Single or tandom axle? I have done this on my 5x8 single axle trailer, i didng notice any difference in the way it pulled.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did it to my 24' tandom enclosed car trailer. Bought new perches to weld to the top of the axles so i could leave the original ones below so it could easily be swaped back if i didnt like it or want to sell the trailer. you will burn the tread off you tires if you just roll the axle cause it will mess with the camber of the axle

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Single or tandom axle? I have done this on my 5x8 single axle trailer, i didng notice any difference in the way it pulled.
Single axel.

Reactions: Tramguage1
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did it to my 24' tandom enclosed car trailer. Bought new perches to weld to the top of the axles so i could leave the original ones below so it could easily be swaped back if i didnt like it or want to sell the trailer.

" you will burn the tread off you tires if you just roll the axle cause it will mess with the camber of the axle"

What does this mean, Rolling the Axel?

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Did it to my 24' tandom enclosed car trailer. Bought new perches to weld to the top of the axles so i could leave the original ones below so it could easily be swaped back if i didnt like it or want to sell the trailer. you will burn the tread off you tires if you just roll the axle cause it will mess with the camber of the axle

Correct....
good info

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
What does this mean, Rolling the Axel?
Means flipping it
top to bottom.....
bottom to top...
don't do it....cause you
tire wear...& other problems
LIVE & LEARN....DEAL

Reactions: Tramguage1
lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Reactions: lee and rocmar
D

Deleted member 3748

Interesting. Is there a u-joint in between the axle halves? If there are axle halves?

advertisement
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As others have mentioned, you can't just flip the axle, and carry on, because axles are bowed to adjust for camber. There is an easy fix though, as there are kits you can buy just for this purpose that don't require welding. It's an overslung/underslung conversion kit. Below is only an example. You will have to find the correct kit to fit your axles.

Dexter Trailer Springs Over-Under Conversion Kit Dexter Axle Accessories and Parts K71-384-00
If you look at those pics in the link for that kit they still welded the new top perch, its not 100% weld all the way around it but is a 1" stich weld. It think it would be a good idea to at least do that much. I have seen a few trailers were they were not welded and over time as the ubolts stretch and seat in, it allows the tube to rotate or spin under the perch.

Reactions: lonewolf and rocmar
lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you look at those pics in the link for that kit they still welded the new top perch, its not 100% weld all the way around it but is a 1" stich weld. It think it would be a good idea to at least do that much. I have seen a few trailers were they were not welded and over time as the ubolts stretch and seat in, it allows the tube to rotate or spin under the perch.

Yea, by all means, welding would give another level of security, but I was trying to offer an easy fix, if someone, has no access to a welder. Here is a different link that specifically says welding is not required. The new perches have two bolts that are welded to it(one on each side), so it can be directly bolted to the existing perch, on the opposite side of the axle. In all honesty, I think once it's bolted up tightly, I wouldn't have any reservations about using it with no welding. It utilizes the welding of the other perch, to avoid the axle from spinning. It would be virtually impossible to spin with this setup. You may have seen someone just add a perch and bolt it on top of the axle, only using the U-bolts, and in that case it could spin, and would be a poor way of doing an axle flip. I think this system is solid. Plus, you still have the u-bolts holding it together too.

I've done this axle flip myself before, and I just bought new perches and welded them on myself, because it's cheaper. My experience with axles that have been on a trailer a while, they get to the point of the u-bolts seizing up, and all the one's I've changed, I've had to cut the u-bolts, with a torch, or a cutoff tool, to remove them.

Anyhow, if someone has welding access, the easiest and cheapest route would be to just buy new perches and weld them on the opposite side of the axle. Thanks for the input!

Dexter Axle K71-385-00 Over/Under Conversion Kit - 3'' Tube

K71 384 00 10 1000

Last edited:
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
To all:

If you flip(roll) your axle it must be bent to adjust Camber and Toe-in. This is easily done with a bottle jack underneath and a chain running below the jack and around each axle end. You are looking for about 3/32" toe-in and 3/32" - 1/8" camber. Basically the same as it was before flipping so measure your axle's settings before starting and just duplicate it if it was wearing tires correctly. I have run my trailer that I did this to many thousands of miles with heavy and light loads and it tracks great and tires wear nicely.

WB

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
To all:

If you flip(roll) your axle it must be bent to adjust Camber and Toe-in. This is easily done with a bottle jack underneath and a chain running below the jack and around each axle end. You are looking for about 3/32" toe-in and 3/32" - 1/8" camber. Basically the same as it was before flipping so measure your axle's settings before starting and just duplicate it if it was wearing tires correctly. I have run my trailer that I did this to many thousands of miles with heavy and light loads and it tracks great and tires wear nicely.

WB
I don't understand, you aren't flipping the axel, you are just reversing the spring /axel elevations, shouldn't have to do anything to camber/toe in as long as you have the exact same measurements from receiver to center of axel????????.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I did a spring-over on my 16 foot flat deck trailer. Gave me a couple of extra inches in ground clearance. I'm glad I did it.
Been thinking about doing that to my 16 footer, makes since.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I don't understand, you aren't flipping the axel, you are just reversing the spring /axel elevations, shouldn't have to do anything to camber/toe in as long as you have the exact same measurements from receiver to center of axel????????.

@Smitty335,

Some folks looking for more lift "flip" their "Drop" style axle to gain more ground clearance-like I did. (Added 12" ground clearance additional) The comments I made ONLY apply to that scenario. When only moving spring perch to below axle the process I described is not re3quired.

Sorry for the confusion.

WB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!