P1000 Trailer Centering Question

X

Xbow

May 24, 2019
Washington State
Ownership

1. 500
Old school logger trick. Get the truck loaded. Now before you hook up the trailer have a 200 lb person step on the back end. Drop a line (chain works well) and adjust it so it just hits the ground. Now hook up the trailer and load whatever your loading onto the trailer until the chain just hits the ground. Your set! Easy Peasy.

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think the tire straps are the best option. I use it on my motorcycle with a wheel chock and it never moves.
But I have wood floor slats and little confidence they will last even if I drill the holes before installing screws in the E tracks.

So, to center it and lash it down, I robbed the self-retracting straps from my old trailer and fabbed up and pivot bar today to get the 700 and the golf cart centered on my new 6x12 trailer.

The trailer is already front heavy and both vehicles tip the trailer 3-4 inches before it hits the pivot bar.
I made it with a 24 1/2" gap in front for coolers/bikes or whatever.
The manual winch is a left over from my old motorycycle trailer. 1500 load limit, it should pull up a dead utv or cart.

Lastly, cut up some spare E tracks and welded them in the rear corners of the trailer.
Low profile when not in use and one in front just for the hook on the trailer winch.

Getting ready for a beach trip!

Hooks on A arms New pivot bar Pioneer full view Ezgo full view

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I have a adjustable weigh safe hitch with a scale. It has three interchangeable balls.

Got tired of having all the different drop hitches etc.

Depending on the trailer / ball connection, I move the load until there is 500 / or 1000 lbs on the scale...or the load is far forward as it can go.

It is always better to have a little extra on the truck ( not exceeding hitch cap of 500) especially on a single axel trailer. Your single axel trailer tires will last a lot longer and it all will tow better.

Last edited:
Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
I have a adjustable weigh safe hitch with a scale. It has three interchangeable balls.

Got tired of having all the different drop hitches etc.

Depending on the trailer / ball connection, I move the load until there is 500 / or 1000 lbs on the scale...or the load is far forward as it can go.

It is always better to have a little extra on the truck ( not exceeding hitch cap of 500) especially on a single axel trailer. Your single axel trailer tires will last a lot longer and it all will tow better.
how do you like that Weigh Safe hitch?

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Love it!

my only issue with it is that it needs a little cleaning and some graphite on the pins every now and then.

The other nice thing is that you don’t have an inverted ball to drag on the ground either.
I’ll second this, love mine as well. You can also use it in either the rise or drop position.

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
I’ll second this, love mine as well. You can also use it in either the rise or drop position.
Love it!

my only issue with it is that it needs a little cleaning and some graphite on the pins every now and then.

The other nice thing is that you don’t have an inverted ball to drag on the ground either.
Yea, it seems like a pretty sweet options.. have the 3 different sets of balls plus the weight sensor for tongue weight... do ya'll use any weight distribution? I also pull a travel trailer

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea, it seems like a pretty sweet options.. have the 3 different sets of balls plus the weight sensor for tongue weight... do ya'll use any weight distribution? I also pull a travel trailer
For my camper I use a weight distribution anti sway hitch, I only use this for my utility/dump trailer.

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Like others, I think the Pioneer is a bit too far forward. Since the Pioneer and Talon have similar weight distribution, here's mine set to 250 lb. TW (RV limitations). Your centerline should be similar, but centered between the two axles (duh).

I HKN8qgv L

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there a weight/size of camper that would require such? I haven’t used one but debating on getting one...
I’ve always used one with a camper, unlike a utility trailer it’s a huge sail and doesn’t take much to start moving around.

Reactions: Coeus and 100Acre
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I don’t use a WD hitch at all.

My TH camper is a fiver, and all of my other trailers don’t need it.

Reactions: Coeus
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I think the big difference in comments is that some are working with 1/2 tons and others like me are using HD 1 ton trucks.

I could put the entire P1k5 in the back of my dually and it would sag the springs a small fraction of what my TH does. Thus my comment for parking my P1k5 all the way forward. If I don’t it trailers fine, but the P1k5 gets the crap jounced out of it due to the light hitch weight relative to the truck capacity.

if I’m moving my tractors or skid steer obviously I don’t run them all the way forward.

Reactions: Coeus and CID
Glank

Glank

Jul 20, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the big difference in comments is that some are working with 1/2 tons and others like me are using HD 1 ton trucks.

I could put the entire P1k5 in the back of my dually and it would sag the springs a small fraction of what my TH does. Thus my comment for parking my P1k5 all the way forward. If I don’t it trailers fine, but the P1k5 gets the crap jounced out of it due to the light hitch weight relative to the truck capacity.

if I’m moving my tractors or skid steer obviously I don’t run them all the way forward.
Or some are using Buick Enclaves :oops:

IMG 47237103

• Haha
Reactions: Coeus

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!