P1000 Transmission and riding question

B

Billw3fan

Mar 7, 2020
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Is there anything on the 1000 I'm supposed to be doing while riding? Like low gear at low speed or rough terrain? Not many people around here ride pioneers and lot of people are telling me the cluchs burn up if you don't ride it in certain gear. I'm not rough on my stuff but wondering if there's guideline on high vs low. Whats best for the transmission.

Reactions: Isaiah
Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Usually high range is fine unless your in the mud or climbing something at a slow rate of speed. There is no magic number or when or when not to be in low other than using common sense. If the tach is below 3000, bump a downshift with a paddle or choose low depending on the situation. keeping a healthy battery is just as important. The trans needs a reliable source of voltage to work properly. proper shift lever adjustment is important also. You shouldn’t feel any dragging forward when sitting idle in gear. Gear changes should be relatively smooth.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Usually high range is fine unless your in the mud or climbing something at a slow rate of speed. There is no magic number or when or when not to be in low other than using common sense. If the tach is below 3000, bump a downshift with a paddle or choose low depending on the situation. keeping a healthy battery is just as important. The trans needs a reliable source of voltage to work properly. proper shift lever adjustment is important also. You shouldn’t feel any dragging forward when sitting idle in gear. Gear changes should be relatively smooth.
In CO I ran in High and Turf mode, around here low?

R

rickoshea

i only use low when i'm pulling something,or climbing a steep grade.otherwise high/sport.or manual if i'm riding forest trails.

H

HondaTech

Before the clutch update came about I had 2016 5 seat with a random oil pressure light. Shifted fine with no slipping and never showed any codes.

I beat on that thing for almost 100 miles trying to locate the issue, it was super intermittent and ended up being a sticking emergent valve.

But while driving it, I never used low and really gave that thing hell trying to make it act up.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I bought mine last fall the dealer had a tech go over the machine with me, this is what he told me. Don’t be afraid to use high, most riding is suitable for it but if you are going to be in the mud, driving slow (creeping around), towing or going up steep hills, use low gear. I have 30’s on mine and still run high gear most of the time. If you feel like it’s hunting for the right gear, just put it in manual or sport mode.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I bought mine last fall the dealer had a tech go over the machine with me, this is what he told me. Don’t be afraid to use high, most riding is suitable for it but if you are going to be in the mud, driving slow (creeping around), towing or going up steep hills, use low gear. I have 30’s on mine and still run high gear most of the time. If you feel like it’s hunting for the right gear, just put it in manual or sport mode.

I have had 30s since I bought mine and no problems

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!