BOX1

P500 Transmission disengaging

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I've just noticed recently, that sometimes when going down a hill slowly, sometimes the transmission seems to "disengage" and freewheel. If I blip the throttle it immediately re-engages. Reminds me of a Polaris. Is this normal? I don't recall it doing in the past.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Slowly…like walking pace 3 mph or like 10 mph?
Hill…like 5 or like 20 or like 45 degrees?
Might give a little more insight for replies

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
doesn't sound normal. with mine, it will freewheel when downshifting, between gears engaging. doesn't sound like your issue though.

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
[/QUOTE
Yes. When going very slow. Only at idle. Never when there's actual back pressure. It's really not a big deal. Just don't remember it ever doing it before. I pull a fairly heavy trailer down a pretty short(200 yards) and fairly steep hill sometimes. I use the brakes a lot. Sometimes when I let off of the brakes it freewheels like it's in neutral. Like I said, a blip on the throttle and it immediately goes back into gear(2nd usually).

Reactions: Mudder
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe it’s a centrifugal clutch on the P5. It’s possible it’s not spinning fast enough to be engaged. The blip of the throttle engages it and engine braking is back.

Someone smarter than me might be able to say for sure though

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I believe it’s a centrifugal clutch on the P5. It’s possible it’s not spinning fast enough to be engaged. The blip of the throttle engages it and engine braking is back.

Someone smarter than me might be able to say for sure though
I tend to think you're right. Was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this.

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I tend to think you're right. Was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this.
This little p500 has been an awesome machine! The same trailer that I mentioned is also pulled up the hill with it. Mostly sand and a little bit of "pit run" gravel. Pretty much only 4x4's can get up the hill. The trailer is heavy enough that it gets to pushing me down the hill. I lock it in 4x so the back pressure will be, basically, like braking.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
At low speed, usally with rough terrain the centrifugal clutch will disengage.
If you don't blip the throttle the vehicle is a hand full.
It wants to charge down hill well above the expected level.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I've just noticed recently, that sometimes when going down a hill slowly, sometimes the transmission seems to "disengage" and freewheel. If I blip the throttle it immediately re-engages. Reminds me of a Polaris. Is this normal? I don't recall it doing in the past.
Don't know what year yours is BUT mine is 2017 full manual and it never free wheels .

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
My 2017 doesn’t have the Polaris effect and always use manual mode for hills. Does it do it in manual, auto or both? - What year is your Pioneer?
Have you tried a clutch adjustment? - Just thinking if your history of heavy downhill loads/engine braking has caused some minor centrifugal clutch wear, and having experienced that the adjustment range is very small to find the sweet spot. Best of luck.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Mine does it occasionally....when all the stars align sort of occasionally. I'm not too concerned about it.

FYI, a clutch adjustment won't do anything for this, the centrifugal clutch is separate from the "main" clutch, they are two different systems. Take a look at the parts schematic and you'll see what I mean.

Also, mine is a '16, manual only

25yrds

Oct 28, 2019
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
My 2017 doesn’t have the Polaris effect and always use manual mode for hills. Does it do it in manual, auto or both? - What year is your Pioneer?
Have you tried a clutch adjustment? - Just thinking if your history of heavy downhill loads/engine braking has caused some minor centrifugal clutch wear, and having experienced that the adjustment range is very small to find the sweet spot. Best of luck.
It's an '18. I have adjusted the clutch. Not for this "problem" anyways. I pretty much never put it in a/t. I guess time will tell.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!