P700 Transmission problem

D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am new on the 700 side as i have a 1000-5. My buddy has a 700-4 with 216hrs. The problem is when you put it in gear, forward or reverse and push thr gas pedal and it's like it locks up. The engine is under a load and wont move. You can let it idle and put it in gear and kinda lunges in either direction. I checked the oil level and it is about a line with above full with out screwing the dipstick in. I checked the oil pressure and it was 180psi at 5000rpm. There is 12volts to the a/t clutch solenoid. I turned the emergency valve in just to try and it didnt make any difference. The shift from forward to reverse is kind of loud compared to my 1000. Anyone have any ideas?

Reactions: Lady01 and DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I am new on the 700 side as i have a 1000-5. My buddy has a 700-4 with 216hrs. The problem is when you put it in gear, forward or reverse and push thr gas pedal and it's like it locks up. The engine is under a load and wont move. You can let it idle and put it in gear and kinda lunges in either direction. I checked the oil level and it is about a line with above full with out screwing the dipstick in. I checked the oil pressure and it was 180psi at 5000rpm. There is 12volts to the a/t clutch solenoid. I turned the emergency valve in just to try and it didnt make any difference. The shift from forward to reverse is kind of loud compared to my 1000. Anyone have any ideas?
Putting the 700 in gear can be a bit clanky, so I don't think that means anything.

Can the machine be pushed around? or maybe jack the wheels up and see how much effort it takes turn them?

Reactions: Lady01
D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Putting the 700 in gear can be a bit clanky, so I don't think that means anything.

Can the machine be pushed around? or maybe jack the wheels up and see how much effort it takes turn them?
When I put it in gear with it idling, it pushes fairly easy.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
So basically, it locks anytime you open the throttle?

Reactions: Lady01
D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I jacked the back of it up and started and put it in gear. When just idling the tires spin then stops, spins and stops. Forward and reverse. If I push the accelerator at all the wheels lock up and you can tell the engine is under a load

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I jacked the back of it up and started and put it in gear. When just idling the tires spin then stops, spins and stops. Forward and reverse. If I push the accelerator at all the wheels lock up and you can tell the engine is under a load
Hmmm....
Let's get @HondaTech involved.

When you put a 700 in gear, it doesn't engage the 1st/reverse clutch until it sees throttle opening. The other time it does so...I believe, is when it sees movement in gear via the speed sensor. Like if you put in gear on a hill and just let it start rolling. Jacked up with no resistance, there is sometimes enough drag from the spinning parts to move the rear wheels, esp when oil is cold. Or...if there is a LOT of drive...like the machine creeping forward off the gas, another clutch could be trying to engage (see below).

My guess would be....esp if the move/stop cycle of the wheels seems very rhythmic, is that the ecu "Sees" the wheels turning (IE-movement), tries to then engage the 1st/reverse clutch. Something in there is binding, so when that happens, the wheels stop, the clutch is released, and the whole thing starts over again.

I wonder if it's possible for theses things to "cross shift", which is applying more than one clutch at a time (engagement of 2 gears, causing binding). Hydraulic leakage in the valve body or elsewhere seems likely, since shorted solenoids/wiring "should" set a code. As far as that goes, I guess you could unplug all the connections on the valve body, screw in the emergency screw, and see what happens. The problem there is if oil were bleeding to some gear other than 2nd, it might not tell us much.

You may also be able to see cross shifting with oil pressure tests on the ports. Pressure where there shouldn't be would be a clue.

Last edited:
D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I found out some new information that he failed to tell me. He was riding it and the setting cap for the pipe b and c came out. He pulled it back home and put the new cap and put on. It has been doing this ever since that happened. So now I need to take the cap off and pull the setting collar and both pipes out. I'm betting something is missing or an o-ring is blown causing it to try to shift into different gears at once. I'm thinking that's causing the binding.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I found out some new information that he failed to tell me. He was riding it and the setting cap for the pipe b and c came out. He pulled it back home and put the new cap and put on. It has been doing this ever since that happened. So now I need to take the cap off and pull the setting collar and both pipes out. I'm betting something is missing or an o-ring is blown causing it to try to shift into different gears at once. I'm thinking that's causing the binding.
Well...that helps LOL!

Reactions: duramaxman05
D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After taking the cap off, the setting collar and the pipe that goes in the set collar were missing. So I ordered new parts. It took almost 2 months to get them. I put them in today and after all the waiting and aggravation, it's still doing the same thing. Now I am a little stumped.

Reactions: Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@duramaxman05 did you ever figure this out?

D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@duramaxman05 did you ever figure this out?
No I sure didnt. I just work on these on the side and I hated to, but I had to tell him he would be better off taking it to someone else. I am gonna text him and see if he ever got it fixed.

H

henchmachine

Jul 1, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 700-2
No I sure didnt. I just work on these on the side and I hated to, but I had to tell him he would be better off taking it to someone else. I am gonna text him and see if he ever got it fixed.

Any update on this? I think i'm experiencing something similar

D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any update on this? I think i'm experiencing something similar
I am sorry but no. I hated to but I had to cut my losses and told the guy he would be better off taking it somewhere else. I texted him a couple weeks ago and thr place he took it, will not call him back and they have had his pioneer since october.

D

duramaxman05

Apr 25, 2019
Perryville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So it's been a while since posted on this thread. I talked to the guy that has this pioneer. After 8 month at this one guy's place that screwed him around, it ended up at a Honda dealer in Sikeston. It ended up being the second and third clutch packs came apart. He said I would have never seen it without taking the engine out and apart. The guy at the dealer said that is the first he has ever seen that happen to in the 20yrs he has been a technician. Hope this helps anyone who is experiencing this problem.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!