P700 Transmission searching for gears?

Memorypill

Memorypill

Mar 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
185243629 542777920049632 1166450609165620978 n

Finally got the 700-4 out for a good trail ride with the family and a friend in his new commander. Put on about 30 miles and was able to do everything from some mud splashing to some high speed runs where I found the limiter at 43.
My only complaint from the day was it felt like there were many times the transmission just didn't know what gear to be in. It would hold onto the last gear until it was screaming before reluctantly switching up the next. Is this normal in the non deluxe? My experience before the pioneer was always with CVT so maybe its just me.
Thoughts?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea that sounds like how mine does. I've had my 700 for 5 years and no issues with anything. Some more gears would help it out a lot though. I'm sure the paddle shifters would be nice to have too. When I'm riding and it's in 1st and I think it should be shifting to 2nd I'll let off the gas some and it seems to shift up then. I do this as long as I'm not going up hill.

katphishbob

katphishbob

Jul 17, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds “normal” to me. My 709-4 Deluxe drives like this in auto mode. I’ve read that the computer will “learn” shift points based on your driving- if so, this should get better with time. If like me, riding conditions are so varied over time/conditions that no single shift program would seem to fit all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TripleB
Memorypill

Memorypill

Mar 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the input guys. I’ll double check levels before the next ride to be sure but it was just dealer serviced before I bought it so I assume it’s “normal”.
I think the computer assumes I would rather have the lower gear when there is a question.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!