P700 Transmission shifting??

rogerdodger

rogerdodger

Jan 18, 2015
Went from the Honda factory bias ply tire (front 25x8-12 & rear 25x10-12) to ITP Blackwater Evolution radials (Front 27x9-12 & rear 27x11-12). Every now and then it seems like it’s shifting into 2nd gear and then like it revs up in that gear and doesn’t shift to 3rd. Almost acts like a belt driven machine, how they have to have all sorts of RPM to get them to move. So I’m not sure but it almost acts like its revving up and stalling out – almost like a slippage. Not sure if it is slipping or just simply not shifting into 3rd gear so you let out of the throttle and sometimes you can get back into it and it shifts fine through everything. Sometimes you got to stop and wait a few minutes and then take off again and then everything is fine. I live in North Idaho & my driveway is a steep incline but I’ve noticed it on fairly flat surfaces too. Now all the honda dealers in Eastern WA all the way to Billings MT, sell machines where they’ve put aftermarket wheels and tires of this size and no one seems to be reporting any problems and I didn’t notice it with my stock tires. But my son said there was times where it seemed like it wasn’t shifting into 3rd gear with the stock tires. I didn’t really notice this I guess. Seemed to perform flawlessly to me but maybe I was missing it. Maybe it’s been doing it all along. My dealer mechanic said that they’re not sure what’s going on. At first they thought my engine oil was low after they serviced it because that’s when we noticed it the first time. So they checked everything and it was a little low and they had to add oil because their one mechanic didn’t get it full (did it right off the trailer after the oil change at the dealership. Loaded it right back up, took it back to them, they checked it out and topped off the oil, etc..)It still does it just comes and goes. It doesn’t do it all the time. It’s very rare. Not noticing any flashing lights or any bar slashes where the gear indicator is when this happens. Now they’re saying that the machine has to be good and warmed up before we take off because that’s what the problem is. Now like I said with the stock tires we never really noticed it. My son who’s in the picture claims that he noticed it acting like his big can am mud racer clutch system a couple of times. The dealer mechanic really doesn’t have an answer. They think it’s because the machine isn’t good and warmed up but when were out hunting in North Idaho we’ll be going 40 miles on a trail one way to get to our spot and then all of a sudden it will act up like that. Most of the time it seems to be pulling a grade when it does it but not all the time and then I got in the mud with it during elk season and it seemed to act like it was having hard time turning the tires, almost like a bog situation but not necessarily like a revving up and transmission slipping. Not quite sure what’s going on, does anybody have any ideas?? I really like my machine. Now it is heavy with the driver on board and full of fuel. And you see all the extra equipment, all the side saddles bags inside the box and the 2 square bags on top of the box. They’re all loaded with equipment. You see the spare tire and wheel, that spare tire is extremely heave. You see the inside roof rack that we made, with the amount of guns and on top has a netted storage for your hunting regulations ect.. a couple pistols facing each direction. You see the floor storage we put it in it and the rack on the front. It is equipped with the heater system, winch, LED lights. Have the Walker Evan shocks on it which probably weigh more than the factory ones. The machine is weighing in at around 1960 if I remember right when I went across the scale. Had the same amount of weight with the stock tires and I wore the stock tires out. The machine has around 2000 miles on it. Does anyone have any ideas of what’s going on?? This is happening at elevation of 2200 feet at my driveway to no higher than 4000 ft any where else around. Elevation does not seem to be a factor.

PS – Really love these new tires. The hand ability, ride ability & traction is amazing. Very seldom do I have to put it in 4 wheel drive, let alone 4 wheel drive lock.

Also does anyone know if we can run the Honda full synthetic engine oil in it or will this mess with the clutches of the transmission? (no we're not running Honda synthetic in it yet)

2014  honda  SXS  2016  elk  hunt 003 Ink LI
2014  honda  SXS  2016  elk  hunt 004 Ink LI
2014  honda  SXS  2016  elk  hunt 008
2014  honda  SXS  2016  elk  hunt 010
2014  honda  SXS  2016  elk  hunt 011
2014  honda  SXS  2016  elk  hunt 012
2014  honda  SXS  2016  elk  hunt 001
2014  honda  SXS  2016  elk  hunt 002
2014  honda  SXS  2016  elk  hunt 005
2014  honda  SXS  2016  elk  hunt 007

Last edited:
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is this happening when cold?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Try the Honda 10W30 full synethic. The torque converter can leak down and cause this problem but that is usually before a full warm up. After a full warm up with hard throttle it will shift into 2nd at around 15 mph and into 3rd around 25 or close to that. You can check it when it performs normal. The large tires will not make much difference but it will accel slightly better with the 25 inch tires.

Reactions: Tflynn and joeymt33
xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
Are those tents on the back? I like that setup, where did you get them?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rogerdodger
rogerdodger

rogerdodger

Jan 18, 2015
Try the Honda 10W30 full synethic. The torque converter can leak down and cause this problem but that is usually before a full warm up. After a full warm up with hard throttle it will shift into 2nd at around 15 mph and into 3rd around 25 or close to that. You can check it when it performs normal. The large tires will not make much difference but it will accel slightly better with the 25 inch tires.

Thank you, I appreciate the information. I'll give it a try and report back although it might be a little while.

rogerdodger

rogerdodger

Jan 18, 2015
Are those tents on the back? I like that setup, where did you get them?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The top bags are ATV-TEK arch series atv cargo bags. They came off my 2 4-wheelers. Removed the side pouches and the seat assembly from them, turned them lengthwise, & made a complete bracket system. The other 2 saddle bags (underneath the cargo bags) are Argo factory original. We had to take and cut and modify these argo bags and add new snaps to them to get them to hook to the racks we built. Full of equipment - jack, tow straps, clevises, tire iron, tools, etc...

By the way I forgot to mention on the Tek square cargo bags that they do a really good of keeping the dust and water out like they advertise for a while. When they are on the 2 Honda 4 wheelers they did a pretty good job but after a while the water started to get inside. Not so much dust but we got water in there. It rains all the time in North Idaho. What we found is that up under those lids they’re using a sewn right in soft type of material that is about an inch wide. Well that just sucks the water up like a sponge and literally transfers it to the inside of the bags and then you have a terrarium effect because the rest is all covered in a tarpaulin fabric because they are waterproof except for that seal. The way to remedy that is to take flex steal liquid in a can and brush it on about 3-4 inches down the side of the bags all the way around and on the inside of the bags all the way around, up over the edges & you get it on there fairly thick. And that does take multiple coats & follow the instructions. Flip the lids over and you coat the lips of the lid, where the lids bend up on each end so you can open them up from each end, coat that flex point and then you coat that inch wide seal that’s just the soft material that acts like a sponge. You coat that real good with flex steal and let everything cure and dry and then you put it together and you’ve actually created a rubber gasket type seal and it seems to work pretty good and the bags are really good at keeping sealed. And you’ll find out that there round steel tubes frames and when you’re crawling up and down thru the mountains you end up on narrow trails or really severe angled trails and you end up leaning against trees and sliding by them and they brush past them bags really hard that they’ll will tweak them frames. S this flex steal rubber seal that you’ve just made keeps everything sealed up regardless if it gets tweaked just a little. And there is your tip on them bags. If you need better pictures of the frame, rack system that we built to strap them to, please let me know and we’ll try to get you some better pictures.

Last edited:
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not sure how long you have had it but At first I thought the same thing of mine.I wasn't used to the 3 speed with a torque converter.The machine will only shift when it hits the speed.And sometimes I let my foot off the gas momentarily so it doesn't shift lurch too hard.1rst to 2nd is around 13 mph.but if your pulling a hill it feels as if it over revs but that is just how these machine work. 2nd to 3rd pulling a hill will do the same, Especially if you are in 4wd. I run 28s and I'm at 1980 lbs. on the scale at work.i don't believe you have and issue, I believe you will get used to it.I didn't go to synthetic. But others have and have had good results in cold weather.This is just my opinion and if it still bothers you I would go to the dealer and ask him.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Oh and welcome to forum.And I also didn't notice what you were referring to as much when I was lighter and had stock tires

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Went from the Honda factory bias ply tire (front 25x8-12 & rear 25x10-12) to ITP Blackwater Evolution radials (Front 27x9-12 & rear 27x11-12). Every now and then it seems like it’s shifting into 2nd gear and then like it revs up in that gear and doesn’t shift to 3rd. Almost acts like a belt driven machine, how they have to have all sorts of RPM to get them to move. So I’m not sure but it almost acts like its revving up and stalling out – almost like a slippage. Not sure if it is slipping or just simply not shifting into 3rd gear so you let out of the throttle and sometimes you can get back into it and it shifts fine through everything. Sometimes you got to stop and wait a few minutes and then take off again and then everything is fine. I live in North Idaho & my driveway is a steep incline but I’ve noticed it on fairly flat surfaces too. Now all the honda dealers in Eastern WA all the way to Billings MT, sell machines where they’ve put aftermarket wheels and tires of this size and no one seems to be reporting any problems and I didn’t notice it with my stock tires. But my son said there was times where it seemed like it wasn’t shifting into 3rd gear with the stock tires. I didn’t really notice this I guess. Seemed to perform flawlessly to me but maybe I was missing it. Maybe it’s been doing it all along. My dealer mechanic said that they’re not sure what’s going on. At first they thought my engine oil was low after they serviced it because that’s when we noticed it the first time. So they checked everything and it was a little low and they had to add oil because their one mechanic didn’t get it full (did it right off the trailer after the oil change at the dealership. Loaded it right back up, took it back to them, they checked it out and topped off the oil, etc..)It still does it just comes and goes. It doesn’t do it all the time. It’s very rare. Not noticing any flashing lights or any bar slashes where the gear indicator is when this happens. Now they’re saying that the machine has to be good and warmed up before we take off because that’s what the problem is. Now like I said with the stock tires we never really noticed it. My son who’s in the picture claims that he noticed it acting like his big can am mud racer clutch system a couple of times. The dealer mechanic really doesn’t have an answer. They think it’s because the machine isn’t good and warmed up but when were out hunting in North Idaho we’ll be going 40 miles on a trail one way to get to our spot and then all of a sudden it will act up like that. Most of the time it seems to be pulling a grade when it does it but not all the time and then I got in the mud with it during elk season and it seemed to act like it was having hard time turning the tires, almost like a bog situation but not necessarily like a revving up and transmission slipping. Not quite sure what’s going on, does anybody have any ideas?? I really like my machine. Now it is heavy with the driver on board and full of fuel. And you see all the extra equipment, all the side saddles bags inside the box and the 2 square bags on top of the box. They’re all loaded with equipment. You see the spare tire and wheel, that spare tire is extremely heave. You see the inside roof rack that we made, with the amount of guns and on top has a netted storage for your hunting regulations ect.. a couple pistols facing each direction. You see the floor storage we put it in it and the rack on the front. It is equipped with the heater system, winch, LED lights. Have the Walker Evan shocks on it which probably weigh more than the factory ones. The machine is weighing in at around 1960 if I remember right when I went across the scale. Had the same amount of weight with the stock tires and I wore the stock tires out. The machine has around 2000 miles on it. Does anyone have any ideas of what’s going on?? This is happening at elevation of 2200 feet at my driveway to no higher than 4000 ft any where else around. Elevation does not seem to be a factor.

PS – Really love these new tires. The hand ability, ride ability & traction is amazing. Very seldom do I have to put it in 4 wheel drive, let alone 4 wheel drive lock.

Also does anyone know if we can run the Honda full synthetic engine oil in it or will this mess with the clutches of the transmission? (no we're not running Honda synthetic in it yet)

View attachment 32283 View attachment 32284 View attachment 32285 View attachment 32286 View attachment 32287 View attachment 32288 View attachment 32289 View attachment 32290 View attachment 32291 View attachment 32292
Welcome to the forum, glad you like your P7. You have it looking nice, very customised.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Mine did the same thing yesterday. I got right in it 25' outside and took off, instead of shifting into 3rd gear it acted like I started slipping. I ended up slowing way down for a bit to give it a chance to warm up some and it was fine.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is slipping that you're describing could it be on the rev limiter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Deerhunterrob

Deerhunterrob

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2017
NE ALABAMA
Ownership

1. 700-2
I run 28in mega Meyhams 11 wide all way around have not had any issues with slipping an I hunt steep mtn terrain. I also let mine warm up before I take off. At first the tranny seemed weird to me an I kinda worried about it an wandered if the way the tranny felt was normal. Seems mine got better the more I used it or I just got used to it hopefully urs don't have a issue an if so keep us informed.F98f80a1de197c8a23a31795f496e06f

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sounds like you need to let it warm up more. I've experienced the same thing when I hop in and go without a proper warm up. Probably more pronounced with the bigger tires. And I totally recommend Honda full synthetic oil. Been running it for a few thousand miles and I wouldn't go back!

rogerdodger

rogerdodger

Jan 18, 2015
Not sure how long you have had it but At first I thought the same thing of mine.I wasn't used to the 3 speed with a torque converter.The machine will only shift when it hits the speed.And sometimes I let my foot off the gas momentarily so it doesn't shift lurch too hard.1rst to 2nd is around 13 mph.but if your pulling a hill it feels as if it over revs but that is just how these machine work. 2nd to 3rd pulling a hill will do the same, Especially if you are in 4wd. I run 28s and I'm at 1980 lbs. on the scale at work.i don't believe you have and issue, I believe you will get used to it.I didn't go to synthetic. But others have and have had good results in cold weather.This is just my opinion and if it still bothers you I would go to the dealer and ask him.

Owned it since it was new. Have over 2000 miles on it. It’s always weighed pretty close to the same, due to the fact we equipped it with all the extras that you see right from the get go. Of course it gained some weight with the 8 ply 27’s. Like I said, didn’t notice it acting like a stall or slippage in 2nd when we had the stock tires but my son claimed it did. He compares to his can am side by side factory mud racer. He says it acts like that type clutch system when the Honda is acting up, which isn’t very often. Have a Rincon which is the same set up – don’t notice the Rincon doing any of that. We have a pair of 420 fuel injected ranchers that in the electronic shift mode don’t seem to have any issues. I realize that they are a totally different system but my point being is that most Honda’s operate and act the same way regardless of the system. Our Big Red doesn’t seem to have this issue either at least whys nobody has said anything and it runs the same system as the Rincon and the Pioneer.

I think we will look into the valve on the side of the motor that a couple of other guys mentioned & ask our Honda mechanic if that needs to screwed in all the way like some of the guys suggested and then switch to Honda full synthetic oil. It won’t happen for a while due to the snow conditions in North Idaho but we will get back on and post when we address the issue and let everyone know how it turned out. I sure hope you’re right and that it’s nothing and I sure appreciate all your help.

Would like to see some pics of your machine with the 28’s and know how it rides and handles and what brand you have. Thought about the 28’s but not only does the machine carry all the weight mentioned, but add another person & if you’re lucky enough to get a elk, moose, etc….the back will be loaded with a lot of weight and we will also be pulling a Argo amphibious trailer loaded with the rest of the animal and/ or animals and also we pull that trailer in and out of camp loaded with equipment. So I wasn’t sure if the machine would handle 28’s and all that weight and didn’t want to run out of power and/or hurt the machine.

Sure appreciate everyone’s responses. This is a great forum. Once again thank you again for your comment.

rogerdodger

rogerdodger

Jan 18, 2015
Is slipping that you're describing could it be on the rev limiter?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It’s not up against the Rev limiter because when this machine is running down the road and reaches top end speed and runs up against the rev limiter and starts to cut out. This is not what is going on here, please refer to the long comment above addressed to swsebek explaining a little more in detail of what we’re experiencing. Thank you very much for all the assistance & help we really appreciate it.

rogerdodger

rogerdodger

Jan 18, 2015
If you decide to get a pair of those Argo Saddle bags you want to call Argo Direct. That would be the company and not the factory. The phone # is 618-588-4444. Ask for Big Mike and tell him that GW said to give him a call. Trust me on this, he has the best prices and is the best person to deal with. I've ran a lot of Argos & dealt with a lot of Argo dealers across the lower 48.

J

jgfarm

Jul 21, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sorry to bring up an old thread but my 700 is doing the exact same thing the last two days I let it warm up to one bar on the temp gauge leave my house get about a quarter mile down the road driving pretty slow go down a hill with foot pretty much off gas then head up next hill and it's in 2nd when it hits 25 it just winds up really tight like it's slipping or not shifting it has never done this before and I drive the same way every day to go chore seems to only do it of a morning on first start up. Anybody got ideas? I just really hope something's not goin wrong.

J

jgfarm

Jul 21, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
Any body?? Anything?? I really hate to take back to the dealer only had it a month I use it every day on the farm haven't had any issues until now and haven't ever even pushed it hard. I have searched every where on here and found this post but he didn't say if he figured it out. I use this thing everyday and really need it but hate to tear it up thought about switching to synthetic oil but I don't know if that would do anything or not don't know much about these yet any help is very much appreciated!!

Reactions: swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
If my machine were acting like your saying.I would have changed to synthetic just to rule it out. You better get to dealer,you just bought it a month ago.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!