P500 Trip to Nebraska National Forest near Halsey

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Great photos, quite an adventure. Someday, when the border opens, I’d like to see that part of America.
thanks for sharing.
Thanks! It's a very interesting area, geologically speaking. But if you have a chance to get to the lower 48, I would suggest the Moab area before I would come here. There is just no place on earth like it. And, if the desert and high mesa's aren't for you, the LaSal mountain range is just 20 miles east of Moab. The mountain range was formed from volcanic action, so there are some pretty cool features up there. You just have to know where to look.

Rob

Reactions: monaco and HiFive
F

Fischer

Dec 22, 2019
The woods
Ownership

1. 500
Hi,

I no longer run the OEM tires. I swapped to 27x 11x14 Maxxis Bighorn 3.0 tires all the way around.

I took the traction boards but have never used them. The sand is fine powder, but low pressure and wide tires work really well. I thought I might need them if I got my Land Rover Defender stuck. I never even took it off road.

Rob
Are you running spacers with your 27s?

Reactions: crewcabrob
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I have spacers on the rear so it is the same width as the front. I run the same size wheel and tire at all 4 corners so spacers are needed. 2” I believe

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
crewcabrob- sorry I missed your reply post to mine back last year:( When my riding group made the trek from Michigan to ride in the Black Hills, we settled on Hill City because one of the group members had done road motorcycle trips in the area a few times and was amazed by all the ATVs seen in the area. Because of the number of riders going, we opted to not take the toy hauler campers and just maximize machine hauling, then we rented a lodge at a resort called the High Country Guest Ranch. We were able to ride out of the guest ranch for a trail loop of about 5 hours of riding. For the next 3 days we trailered to other trail heads and road all day. I somehow came across a guy that lives in North Dakota and rides the Black Hills area regularly. I traded e-mails with him for months prior to our trip and he sent me maps with routes high-lighted that he suggested we try. I can dig that stuff up again if you would like the info.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
crewcabrob- sorry I missed your reply post to mine back last year:( When my riding group made the trek from Michigan to ride in the Black Hills, we settled on Hill City because one of the group members had done road motorcycle trips in the area a few times and was amazed by all the ATVs seen in the area. Because of the number of riders going, we opted to not take the toy hauler campers and just maximize machine hauling, then we rented a lodge at a resort called the High Country Guest Ranch. We were able to ride out of the guest ranch for a trail loop of about 5 hours of riding. For the next 3 days we trailered to other trail heads and road all day. I somehow came across a guy that lives in North Dakota and rides the Black Hills area regularly. I traded e-mails with him for months prior to our trip and he sent me maps with routes high-lighted that he suggested we try. I can dig that stuff up again if you would like the info.
Hi,

That would be great! I've been pouring over maps and trails but if I don't have to reinvent the wheel, getting help from someone else would be great.

I will for sure take a look at the lodge. We may not use it for the group ride, but we like to take our kids places like this. I bet they all end up with a P520 this year. One of our daughters doesn't like to camp and I have a daughter-in-law that will pass on camping too. But they all love going trail riding.

I like Hill City a lot. They have two breweries there and a vineyard that are dog friendly. That helps us a lot.

Rob

Reactions: Smitty335
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Rob,

OK, I'll start digging around for the maps and info on them. Also, the Guest Ranch has campsites as well as cabins to rent instead of a lodge. They have horse back riding, cowboy re-enactments as well as a music venue. They rent SxS's as well. Here is a picture from the deck on the lodge when they run the horses from the stable back to the pasture for the night:
35   daily horse drive back to the grazing area

And this is the lodge:
34   our guest lodge

I believe that there are miles of trails that you can get to right from the lodge. We could not access some of them because the USF roads were designated as licensed vehicles only. That trip our group only had 1- SxS, 4 - utility quads and 8- sport quads. We did not want to go through the steps of getting our quads licensed in SD, so we trailered more.

Also, my group has been riding together for many years and we can only take easy-going meandering trails for so long, then we are looking for the extreme stuff. North of Hill City around a little berg called Nemo, there were a few more challenging trails.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I plan on checking a few things out this weekend. We are going to the Hills this weekend but not taking the SXS, too damn cold and snowy,

Thanks for helping out.

Rob

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I hear you Rob! Cold but not snowy here in Michigan right now. Warmed up to 61° over the week-end and melted what we had left of snow here in the south central of the state. But back to 30's and snow / rain for the next few weeks.

I found one of the maps, but it is just the USF map, not one of the ones highlighted where to go. Still need to find those.

Attachments

• fseprd568431- Mystic Area map.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 137
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
The trails in the National forest have a lot of steeply banked corners. They look like they would be a ton of fun to ride fast. The only issues I see are:
  • No visibility as to what is coming up next
  • The trails are not "one way" so there is the possibility of a head on collision
  • My wife likes to look around and see if we can spot a deer or elk while riding
  • My fully loaded P520 just doesn't go that fast...
Those sandy trails look perfect for me!! That's what we like, fast, sandy trails in the woods!!
a

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I found the map we used for the Hill City area that I received from an experienced Black Hills Rider. I'm just wondering if I should attach it here and give an explanation or start another thread or even just do this via PM?

What do you think Rob? Admins?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I found the map we used for the Hill City area that I received from an experienced Black Hills Rider. I'm just wondering if I should attach it here and give an explanation or start another thread or even just do this via PM?

What do you think Rob? Admins?
If you want to shoot me a PM, then we can discuss and when the timing is right, I will throw up a new thread on the plans for the trip. I want to run the route at least one time prior to leading a group out there.

Thank you for your help!

Rob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!