P1000m5 True Am Isolator

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Soooo it is cold in MO. The central location I am in saw negative 9 today. It is supposed to be colder tonight. My 3 year old main battery is not liking the cold and cranks too slow to start the pioneer.

So my inquiry is this.

I thought the true am isolator "seperated" the auxiliary battery from the main battery. My thought process was that if the main battery was dead or auxiliary battery was dead the opposite battery would not be phased because they are "separated" by the true am isolator.

So I thought in theory if I jumped a 4 AWG wire from the aux side of the true am to the positive main battery post I could "self jump start the pioneer". That is apparently not the case. I get the same slow cranks with and without the jumper.

It is too cold outside to do anymore testing than that. I am planning on getting a new main battery tomorrow.

Is my above theory correct about how the true am works?

Should I have been able to "self jump start" the pioneer?

Thank you for your time.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cold temperatures decrease a batteries ability to deliver current (amps). The CCA (cold cranking amps or the ability to deliver current at zero degrees F) decreases with the batteries age. It's also heavily dependent on the battery's state of charge.

Bring the batteries in from the cold, charge them fully. If you have a battery load tester, check with that. Try the battery again or replace.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I would try jumper cables from a running vehicle first.
Incorrect oil viscosity and poor starter connections could also be the culprit.
All of my fluids are OE fluids. I didn't have the drive yesterday to traverse the cold for a proper jump start.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
I thought the true am isolator "seperated" the auxiliary battery from the main battery. My thought process was that if the main battery was dead or auxiliary battery was dead the opposite battery would not be phased because they are "separated" by the true am isolator.

You are correct !

So I thought in theory if I jumped a 4 AWG wire from the aux side of the true am to the positive main battery post I could "self jump start the pioneer". That is apparently not the case. I get the same slow cranks with and without the jumper.
You are correct, as long as the 2nd battery is in good condition.

Your thinking is correct. Provided the second battery is in good condition.

Try what bumperm suggested. He has lots of experience.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Soooo it is cold in MO. The central location I am in saw negative 9 today. It is supposed to be colder tonight. My 3 year old main battery is not liking the cold and cranks too slow to start the pioneer.

So my inquiry is this.

It is too cold outside to do anymore testing than that. I am planning on getting a new main battery tomorrow.

Thank you for your time.
u r correct, at that point u are just paralleling the batteries, just think of that isolator as a low voltage relay - just disconnects them 2,

the cold temps slow the chemical reaction in the battery, so sol

u keep these trickled on a tender ?

the only one who is happy right now is the manger at the local auto parts store selling, batteries\starters\etc. in this cold snap

Reactions: NewHere2
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

So my inquiry is this.

Thank you for your time.
If your auxiliary battery is the same age as your main, it might be on it way out as well.

When I replaced my main battery a year ago, I ended up replacing the auxiliary battery a few weeks later as it failed load testing.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Robobrainiac C’mon man! Cant you remember all the likes you gave so many times in many different threads to my set up that helps aid not only to cold weather starts but for longevity of your battery? Just givin you $hit 😜 but its true!
So I will refresh your memory. Like many others on this thread have said you need good CC’s and a good charged battery. BINGO! thats your tkt. Now if its an old battery and you dont tend to it like what Im about to explain…. then replace it first.
The tkt, is to add a plug in float/trickle charger of your choice and preferably plug it in every time you park the rig. This will aid in maintaining full charge and that CCA you need to get her going. None of this fiddle farting over thinking it crap. Remember, work smarter not harder?😉
my rig is in Northern Mi with some consitant sub zero temps, use to have the same issue as you some yrs ago and then I did the above and she turns right over! Easy peasy!
If u want pics of the set up just holler! Bit Ive posted them in multiple threads and In my P1K bulid. Let us know how it goes for ya😎

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are correct, as long as the 2nd battery is in good condition.

Your thinking is correct. Provided the second battery is in good condition.

Try what bumperm suggested. He has lots of experience.
Thank you for the information. I will mess with it when it warms up some.

Reactions: NewHere2
advertisement
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Try a new battery or if your aux battery is newer and in better condition switch them.
I bought a new Yasua yesterday so I will try to install it at some point this week. My auxillary battery should be 2 years old I believe and my main battery is the original 2020 pioneer battery. I cannot switch the batteries because my auxillary battery is a full size marine under my driver seat.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
u r correct, at that point u are just paralleling the batteries, just think of that isolator as a low voltage relay - just disconnects them 2,

the cold temps slow the chemical reaction in the battery, so sol

u keep these trickled on a tender ?

the only one who is happy right now is the manger at the local auto parts store selling, batteries\starters\etc. in this cold snap
I thought I was correct with my thinking on how the isolator worked. This was my first attempt to physically try to utilize what I thought I knew and it failed.

Over the last month I have noticed a slower start and I presumed it was about time for a new battery.

I do not keep my machine on any charger. I use it almost daily and in the cold I do use it daily to check the property and chickens. After I start the machine I let it run until I am done. Typically 15-20 minutes. I am ignoring the property while I wait to replace the battery and I am just tredging the snow on foot to check chickens.

Battery sales do have a tendency to raise this time of year.

Reactions: CID
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your auxiliary battery is the same age as your main, it might be on it way out as well.

When I replaced my main battery a year ago, I ended up replacing the auxiliary battery a few weeks later as it failed load testing.
That is kind of what I am thinking. My auxillary battery is a Walmart battery that I don't trust because I am not a fan of the Walmart brand. It was at the time of want/need the only available option. It would not surprise me if the auxiliary battery is bad.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Robobrainiac C’mon man! Cant you remember all the likes you gave so many times in many different threads to my set up that helps aid not only to cold weather starts but for longevity of your battery? Just givin you $hit 😜 but its true!
So I will refresh your memory. Like many others on this thread have said you need good CC’s and a good charged battery. BINGO! thats your tkt. Now if its an old battery and you dont tend to it like what Im about to explain…. then replace it first.
The tkt, is to add a plug in float/trickle charger of your choice and preferably plug it in every time you park the rig. This will aid in maintaining full charge and that CCA you need to get her going. None of this fiddle farting over thinking it crap. Remember, work smarter not harder?😉
my rig is in Northern Mi with some consitant sub zero temps, use to have the same issue as you some yrs ago and then I did the above and she turns right over! Easy peasy!
If u want pics of the set up just holler! Bit Ive posted them in multiple threads and In my P1K bulid. Let us know how it goes for ya😎

I do remember all the likes :p and I was excited for the opportunity the isolator provided but when I put thought to action it didn't work for me lol. So I needed to confirm with all the awesome people on here.

I do have a port for a charger for the auxiliary battery using a boat trolling motor plug. I will probably add another for the main battery so it will work with my charger. It does not get this cold in MO often and we have spent almost a week in the negatives during the lows of the day. I hate cold but I love snow and MO does not give much snow. But MI snows are beautiful.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I do remember all the likes :p and I was excited for the opportunity the isolator provided but when I put thought to action it didn't work for me lol. So I needed to confirm with all the awesome people on here.

I do have a port for a charger for the auxiliary battery using a boat trolling motor plug. I will probably add another for the main battery so it will work with my charger. It does not get this cold in MO often and we have spent almost a week in the negatives during the lows of the day. I hate cold but I love snow and MO does not give much snow. But MI snows are beautiful.
Roger that My friend!
You need to come to come up her in the winter to experiance it first hand😉

Yeah tho, you want that charger on the main battery. Having it on the second one isnt going to help starting unfortunately

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

You don't have to have a trickle charger on both batteries, the True Isolator is ambidextrous and will charge both ways once the connected battery reaches 13.x volts. But, like Remi, I'd hook it to the starter battery.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
You don't have to have a trickle charger on both batteries, the True Isolator is ambidextrous and will charge both ways once the connected battery reaches 13.x volts. But, like Remi, I'd hook it to the starter battery.
Yep! Heres my set up again 😂
All good
IMG 1736
IMG 1735

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is neat to know

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have another theory. I believe my jumper cables are junk.

I had to jump start my van after sitting forever. I had it at work and used our giant Mac jumper. I drove it to the Honda dealer after it idled for about half hour. Stupid me turned it off at the Honda dealer and the van was totally dead when I tried to leave. The cables I had on me were the only ones immediately available and were the same ones I tried to use to "self jump" the pioneer. I could not get the van to jump start. After forever in the cold a buddy of mine from work came to me and brought the work jumper cables. Monster cables with wires the size of my thumb. The van immediately started. I am ordering new jumper cables now.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!