P1000m5 True Am Isolator

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do remember all the likes :p and I was excited for the opportunity the isolator provided but when I put thought to action it didn't work for me lol. So I needed to confirm with all the awesome people on here.

I do have a port for a charger for the auxiliary battery using a boat trolling motor plug. I will probably add another for the main battery so it will work with my charger. It does not get this cold in MO often and we have spent almost a week in the negatives during the lows of the day. I hate cold but I love snow and MO does not give much snow. But MI snows are beautiful.

If you have a Tru battery isolator, you won't need to add a second charging jack. That assumes that battery the jack goes to is in reasonable shape. As soon as the battery "under charge" gets to about 13.2 volts, it will pass a share of the charging current over to the second battery. Tru suggests connecting the charger to the aux battery. So you should be good. Just get a charger on there.

Now think about all those Tesla owners back east who have had to abandon their cars as the lithium batteries won't accept a charge if it's too cold. EV's a workable thing?? Yah, sure, you betcha . . . not.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have a Tru battery isolator, you won't need to add a second charging jack. That assumes that battery the jack goes to is in reasonable shape. As soon as the battery "under charge" gets to about 13.2 volts, it will pass a share of the charging current over to the second battery. Tru suggests connecting the charger to the aux battery. So you should be good. Just get a charger on there.

Now think about all those Tesla owners back east who have had to abandon their cars as the lithium batteries won't accept a charge if it's too cold. EV's a workable thing?? Yah, sure, you betcha . . . not.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have the isolator from our club store. I have a trolling motor connector on the auxillary battery for charging. That is nice to know about the reverse charging capability of the isolator.

Reactions: NewHere2
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a True isolator on my 2021 P1K5.
I'd left the main plugged into a trickle charger most of last winter, and then again this winter. It's at my cabin and would be driven about once a week. Main battery cratered but the Mighty Max second battery is still working (not surprised).

So I replaced my main with the battery shown below (was cheaper about a month ago). The box had a large printed note stating that a trickle charger would shorten the life of the battery. It said if it's cold and you're not driving much, you can top up here and there or leave it on trickle on super-cold nights.
But it specifically said not to leave the trickle charger on for long periods of time. (Not taking a position, just restating.)

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have another theory. I believe my jumper cables are junk.

I had to jump start my van after sitting forever. I had it at work and used our giant Mac jumper. I drove it to the Honda dealer after it idled for about half hour. Stupid me turned it off at the Honda dealer and the van was totally dead when I tried to leave. The cables I had on me were the only ones immediately available and were the same ones I tried to use to "self jump" the pioneer. I could not get the van to jump start. After forever in the cold a buddy of mine from work came to me and brought the work jumper cables. Monster cables with wires the size of my thumb. The van immediately started. I am ordering new jumper cables now.

I would get a jumper pack instead. More portable, won’t get tangled, doesn’t require a second vehicle. And most of them will charge your phone, too.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do not support electric vehicles as a requirement. I do like electric from a fun factor point of view or as a choice. Government envolvement in electric vehicle production and forced ownership makes my soap box very tall.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would get a jumper pack instead. More portable, won’t get tangled, doesn’t require a second vehicle. And most of them will charge your phone, too.
They do make some nice ones but remembering to keep them charged is something I typically forget to do.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Thank you for the information! It looks great!
I did the same thing @Remington did as soon as I first saw his setup. Works great.

It doesn't matter if you connect your charger to the AUX or main battery as long as you charge long enough to let the battery you are charging reach the cut-in voltage of 13.6V and then let it charge the other.

I generally run my AUX down faster than my main, which is why I connected my charger to my AUX battery. I keep my charger on all winter, only taking it off if I'm actively using the machine, so both are always charged.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
But it specifically said not to leave the trickle charger on for long periods of time.
Im assuming they had trouble with cheap chargers and had alot of warranty claims.
Cuz a good charger like the Norco Genius
And the battery tender Jr shut off after a certain voltage, much like our new generation gen controls. The older ones where a constant voltate set and batteries would implode through time.
Lesson is, its very important to do research on float/trickle chargers before just buying and hooking up

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
As soon as the battery "under charge" gets to about 13.2 volts, it will pass a share of the charging current over to the second battery.
I specifically asked True Amalgamated about voltages for the UTV-SBI-18.

Cut-in voltage is 13.6V and cut-out voltage is 12.9 (with a small threshold).

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
But it specifically said not to leave the trickle charger on for long periods of time. (Not taking a position, just restating.)
They just want to be able to deny a claim when their POS battery craps out.

As long as you have a decent battery maintainer/tender, you can keep it on a battery year round, provided the battery isn't a POS. After all, that's the entire point for getting one!

FYI: True Amalgamated literally told me, "... our isolator is set up and manufactured to run on a tender."

P

packer58

Jun 17, 2021
N. Cali
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Im assuming they had trouble with cheap chargers and had alot of warranty claims.
Cuz a good charger like the Norco Genius
And the battery tender Jr shut off after a certain voltage, much like our new generation gen controls. The older ones where a constant voltate set and batteries would implode through time.
Lesson is, its very important to do research on float/trickle chargers before just buying and hooking up
Noco Genius chargers are a very good unit, I have one in my bass boat "3 bank X 10 amp" and one in my enclosed trailer "10 amp". They are designed to stay plugged in and charge / maintain your batteries without overcharging. My bass boat is typically plugged in if it's not on the water.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just to test my theory, I used the jumper cables from work that started my van in the previous post and the pioneer had a slow crank but turned over fast enough to start it. I drove it around a bit and parked it. Now I need to get the new battery installed at some point.

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
IMG 0611

This is what I carry for an emergency jump across the Tru Isolator Studs. Homemade and handy.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
View attachment 415091
This is what I carry for an emergency jump across the Tru Isolator Studs. Homemade and handy.
^This.

Again, @Robobrainiac, you can have the best jumper cable(s) in the world, but if BOTH your batteries are in bad shape, connecting them in parallel (to jump start) won't help very much. A little, maybe, but not much.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!