Talon Turning radius

L

Lovetorque

Apr 3, 2019
Columbia falls mt
Ownership

1. Other Brand
honda shows the new four seater turning radius same as the talon r, they must have the r radius limited for passenger safety, rather than drive train protection , probably a mechanical limiting device in the steering system,would someone please tear there talon apart and check that out for us

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around. :D

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
One thing i noticed on the R is the front axles are pointed forward at the hub. Ideally you want the axle pointed towards the rear. When turning, the inside wheel turns farther than the outside wheel and the outer CV is at more of an angle with the axles pointing forward.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
You lost me there, but I will study mine and maybe I'll get what you said.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
You lost me there, but I will study mine and maybe I'll get what you said.

I put together a quick CAD file. Nothing is exact, just for reference. Basically with the front axle going forward on the R model, the joint is already angled back at the wheel and will limit turning because the joint will bind sooner. Also with how the steering geometry works, the drivers wheel turns farther left than right and the passenger wheel turns farther right than left. There probably is more capability turning but it is harder on the joints.

TALON CV

J

JimmyTalon

Apr 13, 2019
SE Minnesota
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ah, I see now! Nice graphic. When you said "axle" I assumed "spindle" , but now I see you meant "half shaft".
I don't know enough about the physics of steering systems to criticize the current design. It leaves me with one question though: If the steering rack could be modified or changed out to allow more range, would the outer cv joint tolerate that?

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ah, I see now! Nice graphic. When you said "axle" I assumed "spindle" , but now I see you meant "half shaft".
I don't know enough about the physics of steering systems to criticize the current design. It leaves me with one question though: If the steering rack could be modified or changed out to allow more range, would the outer cv joint tolerate that?
We are looking into it

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not trying to be coy Roy, name the song that that lyric came from, you make some great products. But do you know what sunk the Titanic? Weight / wait! HA!
lol. You get me ten people to buy quicker turning on your Honda Pioneer 1000 and we will do it.

Reactions: TripleB
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
50 ways to leave your lover......

Hahaha! When that song came out in the mid 70's, my fiance had a standing joke that Paul Simon should have included another line, "Just time to leave, Steve". :D

Yeah, I know, I'm showing my age...

Steve

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!