Tusk Spare Tire Carrier on X4

L

Lloyd_Green

May 21, 2020
US
Has anyone installed the Tusk spare tire carrier on an X4? They only list it for the 1000x I. The website and when I asked them about it they just say the X4 isn't listed as fitting.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm pretty sure the X4 ROPS is different at the rear from the 2 seater. I know Dirt Road Fab's original bed extender for the X4 won't fit the 2 seater - I've been waiting for the 2 seat version to become available.

Reactions: Iowamike and Isaiah
D

Dirt-roadfab

Aug 25, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm pretty sure the X4 ROPS is different at the rear from the 2 seater. I know Dirt Road Fab's original bed extender for the X4 won't fit the 2 seater - I've been waiting for the 2 seat version to become available.
FYI the 2 seat bed extender has been available for several months now.

Zvanhoo

Zvanhoo

Jun 7, 2020
Boise Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Has anyone installed the Tusk spare tire carrier on an X4? They only list it for the 1000x I. The website and when I asked them about it they just say the X4 isn't listed as fitting.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
I installed one last week and it fits fine. Took a little encouraging to get the last clamp on due to some play but ended up working after I ratchet strapped the rear cage bars together a bit to get the screws started.

20200709 154238 20200709 185055 20200713 095602

C

ChillKillGill

Oct 16, 2020
California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I installed one last week and it fits fine. Took a little encouraging to get the last clamp on due to some play but ended up working after I ratchet strapped the rear cage bars together a bit to get the screws started.

View attachment 212677 View attachment 212678 View attachment 212679
It’s been a few months now, has this worked out well or has it caused any problems? I don’t want it to be so tight that it breaks a weld somewhere or something but I want this carrier. Thanks!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
It’s been a few months now, has this worked out well or has it caused any problems? I don’t want it to be so tight that it breaks a weld somewhere or something but I want this carrier. Thanks!
Why don't you just buy the one that fits the X4?...

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ve been running quads/sxs for 25 years in the roughest, rockiest nastiest trails you will ever find and I’ve never needed a spare tire. Run quality 8 ply tires. Use foam or flat gel in your tires. You can even run tires completely flat for miles if you have to. The last thing you need is that heavy tire mounted way up high like I see a lot. Your CG just went way up and is the last thing you need!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’ve been running quads/sxs for 25 years in the roughest, rockiest nastiest trails you will ever find and I’ve never needed a spare tire. Run quality 8 ply tires. Use foam or flat gel in your tires. You can even run tires completely flat for miles if you have to. The last thing you need is that heavy tire mounted way up high like I see a lot. Your CG just went way up and is the last thing you need!
I could not agree with you more on this. Those spares are always there, always in the way, always adding weight in the place you need it least, and very, very rarely unpacked and used. I have five SXS with a collective 25K miles and have used plugs and slugs from time to time, but never needed a spare.

Reactions: TripleB
Zvanhoo

Zvanhoo

Jun 7, 2020
Boise Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Super happy with the spare holder. No issues whatsoever. Solidly built and works as it should.

Zvanhoo

Zvanhoo

Jun 7, 2020
Boise Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Hey I have a question if u couldn't mind i have been looking for measurements but can find any can u tell me what the distance is from the bed to the lowest bar on carrier please
Thanks

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Along those lines, this is the FactoryUTV spare carrier and a 32" TSC storage box but it isn't here so I can't measure it.

I vZ99P69 M

Reactions: Boundertom
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks that was my concern was if the tractor supply box would still be able to be full opened
Good guess. :cool: The Tusk looks pretty high until you see how much the FUTV unit is raised. Both of them look to carry the spare below the roof's high point.

Zvanhoo

Zvanhoo

Jun 7, 2020
Boise Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hey I have a question if u couldn't mind i have been looking for measurements but can find any can u tell me what the distance is from the bed to the lowest bar on carrier please
Thanks
The Tusk carrier has 23 inches of clearance at the lowest bar. I have attached a pic.

20201025 200134

Reactions: CID and sspeederr
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Along those lines, this is the FactoryUTV spare carrier and a 32" TSC storage box but it isn't here so I can't measure it.

View attachment 231845
Hey CID,
Does that Factory UTV tire mount seem sturdy enough to you? Seems like there is a lot of fore/aft leverage on those two clamps. I was wondering if some additional bracing might be worthwhile. I really like the clearance to the bed, and your picture is helpful. I picked up a 32" box at Tractor Supply yesterday, and I think I like it. This carrier seems to provide adequate clearance. The other thing I like about the Factory UTV mount is that you can adjust the angle of the spare tire. Will a 30" or 32" tire clear the roof?

So many decisions!!!

Thanks!

Tom in AZ

PS: I have FIVE miles on my Talon now, all on pavement. I just finished installing the "hondabob air intake modification". Thanks to your photos and info, that turned out great!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey CID,
Does that Factory UTV tire mount seem sturdy enough to you? Seems like there is a lot of fore/aft leverage on those two clamps. I was wondering if some additional bracing might be worthwhile. I really like the clearance to the bed, and your picture is helpful. I picked up a 32" box at Tractor Supply yesterday, and I think I like it. This carrier seems to provide adequate clearance. The other thing I like about the Factory UTV mount is that you can adjust the angle of the spare tire. Will a 30" or 32" tire clear the roof?

So many decisions!!!

Thanks!

Tom in AZ

PS: I have FIVE miles on my Talon now, all on pavement. I just finished installing the "hondabob air intake modification". Thanks to your photos and info, that turned out great!
5 miles, you poor thang. 😢 But you live in Arizona so you're at peak season, I'm parked until I can head for Utah/Arizona but Covid is hampering that planning. :confused:

I was concerned about the spare rotating on the FUTV rack due to the mass working against the single center clamp. Other owners here said they haven't had a problem, neither have I (535 miles now). I never worried about the two outer clamps being sturdy enough but the ROPS isn't very thick so it might fatigue over time; not likely at my pace though. The 4 mounting points of the JEI and Tusk are both more substantial but then I can't get in my storage. IF the ROPS fails over time, I'll deal with it then, haz welder, kan feex. Preemptive bracing wouldn't hurt that's for sure.

When the tire is horizontal, it's below the roof line which matters to me, it'll fit in the garage on the trailer, barely. I really don't want it sitting outside and I don't want to unload after every ride either.

I'm glad the snorkel photos helped. :) I bounced around Bob's threads a bunch when I was doing mine so I gathered the info and put it in one place. I think most of his info was concentrated in his 6000 mile report. I'm glad you gave him credit, it's a great solution to the Talon's intake issue.

With 30" Chicane RX tires, I have 1" (measured) between the roof and the tire. There's a substantial roof overhang edge there, I wouldn't hesitate trimming it to clear a tire, it wouldn't take much.

I fxwmdr4 L

As delivered from the dealer -
I KrhLwN5 L

Repositioned -
I d6qrBPV L

Reactions: Boundertom
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
5 miles, you poor thang. 😢 But you live in Arizona so you're at peak season, I'm parked until I can head for Utah/Arizona but Covid is hampering that planning. :confused:

I was concerned about the spare rotating on the FUTV rack due to the mass working against the single center clamp. Other owners here said they haven't had a problem, neither have I (535 miles now). I never worried about the two outer clamps being sturdy enough but the ROPS isn't very thick so it might fatigue over time; not likely at my pace though. The 4 mounting points of the JEI and Tusk are both more substantial but then I can't get in my storage. IF the ROPS fails over time, I'll deal with it then, haz welder, kan feex. Preemptive bracing wouldn't hurt that's for sure.

When the tire is horizontal, it's below the roof line which matters to me, it'll fit in the garage on the trailer, barely. I really don't want it sitting outside and I don't want to unload after every ride either.

I'm glad the snorkel photos helped. :) I bounced around Bob's threads a bunch when I was doing mine so I gathered the info and put it in one place. I think most of his info was concentrated in his 6000 mile report. I'm glad you gave him credit, it's a great solution to the Talon's intake issue.

With 30" Chicane RX tires, I have 1" (measured) between the roof and the tire. There's a substantial roof overhang edge there, I wouldn't hesitate trimming it to clear a tire, it wouldn't take much.

Hmmmm. I hadn't even considered that the thin ROPS tubing would be the weak point, but it makes sense. I was more concerned about the tubing welded to the outer clamps, AND the center clamp rotating. Like you, I like the position and the clearance for storage access. I will probably upgrade to 30" tires some day, so it is good they will fit. I will probably go ahead and order one, then figure out some bracing to hopefully prevent any failure. I am not that hard on equipment, but I tend to overbuild things. ;)

Now that I have the air intake taken care of, all the fluids checked, and the windshield installed, I might take it out for a ride! I still need to check the front axle vent situation. It will be a shame to get it all dusty.:):):) I am lucky that I can ride less than 1/4 mile and be on BLM land. And of course, it will soon be street legal. Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in!

Thanks again!

Tom

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hmmmm. I hadn't even considered that the thin ROPS tubing would be the weak point, but it makes sense. I was more concerned about the tubing welded to the outer clamps, AND the center clamp rotating. Like you, I like the position and the clearance for storage access. I will probably upgrade to 30" tires some day, so it is good they will fit. I will probably go ahead and order one, then figure out some bracing to hopefully prevent any failure. I am not that hard on equipment, but I tend to overbuild things. ;)

Now that I have the air intake taken care of, all the fluids checked, and the windshield installed, I might take it out for a ride! I still need to check the front axle vent situation. It will be a shame to get it all dusty.:):):) I am lucky that I can ride less than 1/4 mile and be on BLM land. And of course, it will soon be street legal. Sorry, didn't mean to rub it in!

Thanks again!

Tom
OMG, don't get it dusty, they're only 'new clean' once. ROFL :p

I hope to get a nonresident plate in AZ but that hasn't been as easy as I'd hoped. I'm better in person but everything is shut down and reservations are required, not something I'm good at. Even my DMV is closed for title application, had to leave the paperwork in a dropbox - not my favorite idea.

1/4 mile ride to BLM land? Crap, it's 1-1/2 hour trailer time to my nearest areas and NO street riding. :confused:

Was your sub trans level full? both of mine were delivered about 10 oz. low. My once respected dealer keeps letting me down.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 243529

As delivered from the dealer -
View attachment 243530

Repositioned -
View attachment 243531
Better!

Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!