P500 ugh I got work to do

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I so need new shocks this now is tops on my list stockers cant handle my riding now I need to reenforce frontend totally wrecked where front dif is also need to fix front pass cv boots both torn :(
20150922 164558

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@jak9922 I know I am blind, I cannot see where anything is buggered up in that picture.:confused:

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
It smashed in crazy the crossmember there the front dif bolts on it wrecked and the cv boot is torn

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Ill take better picks when i have it apart to make a bomb (joe) proof crash plate

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
It smashed in crazy the crossmember there the front dif bolts on it wrecked and the cv boot is torn

So you actually bent the frame? or just the metal bash plate got whammy'd in? Hitting that hard that had to have hurt.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
not the main box frame rails but the cross member that the front of the front dif bolts to

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I constantly smash the front plate I always bottom out after a quick whoop or dip

Lucas

Lucas

Mar 25, 2015
I've also had issues with the front bash plate getting stuffed into the front frame cross-member and bending it. The front differential bolts to the frame in the front with a separate bracket, but seems very vulnerable to damage from a bad hit as the bash plate seemingly does little to really protect this vital area from real damage. Need to beef this area up... perhaps a sacrificial bar behind the crash plate, but in front of the differential that will absorb the impact from a nasty hit that can be easily replaced instead of worse frame damage or *gasp* a smashed differential. Any ideas yet jak9922 to address this issue?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Full skid should help distribute the impact force more evenly across the entire front.

Last edited:
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
when I get a few hrs to play im going to take some think angle iron and weld it in place then some 1/8 inch plate steel to reinforce the bash plate

Lucas

Lucas

Mar 25, 2015
Full skid should help distribute the impact force more evenly across the front.
Agreed, I think an impact-resistant slippery UHMW polyethylene bash plate or even an add on piece would not only help to absorb a lot of the energy from a rock hit, but would help the Pioneer to skip over a rock instead of grabbing the steel and plowing straight back into the frame member.
when I get a few hrs to play i'm going to take some think angle iron and weld it in place then some 1/8 inch plate steel to reinforce the bash plate
No doubt going "old school" and reinforcing the impact zone with more steel would make a big difference in the P5s ability to withstand normal "bashing". The front shocks are really soft and bottoming out at speed reduces the ground clearance significantly... that's my main issue with this machine anyway... does great otherwise. One other thing I noticed when I removed the front crash plate to inspect the damage was there are two tabs with through holes on the plate and corresponding nuts welded to the frame, but no screws in the holes... and it didn't look like it ever had them from Honda... did I loose them or were they left out intentionally. The parts fiche shows them so I'm curious about the deal with that. Do you guys have bottom screws in your front crash plates?

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
my damage is from this hitting dips and whoops at any kind of speed the front bottoms and hits hard

Lucas

Lucas

Mar 25, 2015
my damage is from this hitting dips and whoops at any kind of speed the front bottoms and hits hard
Yeah, if it wasn't for the soft shocks I wouldn't be stuffing the crash plate in the first place, at least not as often or as hard. Lots of logging going on where I ride and all the water bars with jutting rocks in the roads are a serious problem. But until the aftermarket offers a solution to the shock issue the unintended bashing of the front end will continue.

Reactions: jak9922
scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
Yeah, if it wasn't for the soft shocks I wouldn't be stuffing the crash plate in the first place, at least not as often or as hard. Lots of logging going on where I ride and all the water bars with jutting rocks in the roads are a serious problem. But until the aftermarket offers a solution to the shock issue the unintended bashing of the front end will continue.

Lucas- got any videos of this?

We ride in logging areas almost exclusively, and they have lots of water bars. Was almost ready to pull the trigger on a P500 and get rid of my RZR, but want to know it will handle the terrain we ride...

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Lucas- got any videos of this?

We ride in logging areas almost exclusively, and they have lots of water bars. Was almost ready to pull the trigger on a P500 and get rid of my RZR, but want to know it will handle the terrain we ride...
Aslong as ur not balls to the wall the way i ride 35+ consistently then yes you will run aground hard sometimes but if u just ride to ride and not push her then she will be perfect

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I might get burned at the cross for saying this here burn unless aftermarket picks up in next few mths i will prob buy a cat trail for my fast riding and keep the p5 for adventures camping hunting fishing family time

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
The one and only down fall to the p5 i can think of besides the 42mph cutoff is the weak ass suspension

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I might get burned at the cross for saying this here burn unless aftermarket picks up in next few mths i will prob buy a cat trail for my fast riding and keep the p5 for adventures camping hunting fishing family time

Won't get burned at the stake, P500 wasn't designed for fast trail riding 35+

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!