Under hood storage

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I'm at the point now where I'm gonna order this storage container. I am concerned about the wired I have already run however. I am wondering if anyone has this storage bin and can show me pics of how it sits under the hood and latches down?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,641
M

McKay59AB

Aug 20, 2014
N.Central Washington
I installed the underhood storage bin. There was more than enough room to install the wires, turn signal flasher relay and horn. Get the sub harness for easy power take off. Honda part #08Z08-HL5-A00. Cost is about 9 bucks. I installed my bin with 8-32 stainless machine screws, tapped into the cross tube.

Attachments

• P1030213.JPG
    P1030213.JPG
    369.2 KB · Views: 1,375
Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I wasn't sure how the bin sat.? I do have the sub harness and many accessories already hooked up. So my concern was having to re route the wiring I already did. And I wasn't sure about some of the factory hoses being in the way. I cleaned up some of the wiring last night. Judging from Ur pick, it looks like I should have the space.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 1,439
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    686.3 KB · Views: 1,315
Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I want to put my vehicle recovery gear and a few tools in it. Is it big enough? Awkwardly shaped?

2 block pulleys
2 tow lines
2 d-rings
Set of gloves
Tire repair kit
Small compressor
Small tire iron

Will a 1 gallon gas can fit with hood closed? Not including things I listed.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
After seeing this accessory from Honda, my first thought that comes to mind is it's water proof integrity? While it certainly allows probably the most cubic inches of storage, in wet and muddy environments, does the seal keep the stored items dry?
Glad to see Honda addressing this idea!

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
For my auxiliary battery I mounted a flat aluminum plate then put a steel army surplus ammo box on top the plate under the hood.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wzehbk1hsmvrcyg/AADdglPXcgEXXSe-GrWcZUGka?dl=0

Pending on your need you could fit different sized ammo boxes. Inexpensive very strong, I used steel nut serts installed in the frame and subframe to attach plate and box with grade 8 (1/4" by 20 tpi bolts).

Was thinking in time might look at sorting storage under the driver's seat using large ammo box on industrial drawer slides to pull out beside driver's door. There is a relatively huge space under there it's just sorting access and making water proof which fore noted would do. Just have to make a reasonable side door to access and mount rails.

jrc

Reactions: larry991wc
Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I found a sturdy box that fits under the seat where the honda box would go. I'll take storage wherever I can get it on this

Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
I like it! Was skeptical at the dealer picking it up. Me and the parts guy made a couple wise cracks about it, but man it holds what I wanted it to!
Easy install and seems to be well sealed against the hood.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 1,276
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    871.6 KB · Views: 1,225
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 1,331
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    836.3 KB · Views: 1,208
Sxsnewbie

Sxsnewbie

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2015
Eastern Connecticut
Update: plowed during a heavy storm and was blowing through drifts today. Checked under the hood and zero snow or moisture in the bin. Loving it so far.

I actually just got my cab storage bag set up too. This thing is great! Put my extra spark plug, flashlight, and small tool kit. It has room for my phone, sunglasses and anything my passenger would like to carry.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 1,095
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    842.2 KB · Views: 1,066
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 1,113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    838.2 KB · Views: 1,086
advertisement
M

Mypioneer

Jan 1, 2015
Arnaudville LA
I am really glad I purchased the under hood storage. Only time water got in it was using car wash. It's worth the investment. You actually can fit quite a few items in it.

J

JasonS

Jun 18, 2015
Hi All,
As an alternative option to Honda's underhood storage tray I found this soft tool bag at Menards for about $20 and it seems to fit perfectly. Pls see pic if you are interested.

Attachments

• Underhood Storage.jpg
    Underhood Storage.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 1,020
Reactions: 500oneer
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
For my auxiliary battery I mounted a flat aluminum plate then put a steel army surplus ammo box on top the plate under the hood.
Dropbox - P5 mods

Pending on your need you could fit different sized ammo boxes. Inexpensive very strong, I used steel nut serts installed in the frame and subframe to attach plate and box with grade 8 (1/4" by 20 tpi bolts).

Was thinking in time might look at sorting storage under the driver's seat using large ammo box on industrial drawer slides to pull out beside driver's door. There is a relatively huge space under there it's just sorting access and making water proof which fore noted would do. Just have to make a reasonable side door to access and mount rails.

jrc
Hope to see pictures of that one day. You're quite industrious!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
M

markie

Feb 15, 2016
milton kentucky
Reactions: SBuckJ

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!