P1000m3 Underseat Cooling fan

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am in the process of completing the fan install for the cooling fan I installed under the seat. It is a 7" fan with a plastic housing. 80 watts @ 12vdc. I used aluminum angle and made 2 L brackets. One end attaches to the seat frame, the other to the floor brace. I intend to add a Broan 8" metal filter to the open side.

I have the wiring pulled and will be tying it to a reversing switch on my dash. In the summer fan blows past motor under bed, winter it blows into cab. I am also toying with a thermostat to start it automatically at some preset temperature. The little controllers are only a few bucks and come with an RTD.

FredD

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 83564 View attachment 83566 I am in the process of completing the fan install for the cooling fan I installed under the seat. It is a 7" fan with a plastic housing. 80 watts @ 12vdc. I used aluminum angle and made 2 L brackets. One end attaches to the seat frame, the other to the floor brace. I intend to add a Broan 8" metal filter to the open side.

I have the wiring pulled and will be tying it to a reversing switch on my dash. In the summer fan blows past motor under bed, winter it blows into cab. I am also toying with a thermostat to start it automatically at some preset temperature. The little controllers are only a few bucks and come with an RTD.

FredD
Looking good

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I am continuing on my buggy mods... I am changing the intake tubing and had a chance to get back under the seat and install the fan filter...

I got an 8" microwave vent filter...

Since the fan was 7", I cut a little pie shaped wedge out of it and recrimped the edge. I also shaped the filter so it bulged out away from the blades so it would not interfere with the operation.

Now when the fan reverses, it won't suck in any debris or get sticks stuck in the blades...

FredD

Reactions: elkguide and BWAF
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
that's going to be one of my winter projects.

A couple observations though..

why the big 8" instead of a pair of 4" bilge fans?

do you think its far enough from the plastic panel to pull air properly?

While I like the idea of protecting the fan blades, I'd be concerned that the filter would inhibit flow... have you tried it yet?

Reactions: BWAF and BigOL3
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All great questions!

I wanted a straight flow without ductwork, hence the single fan...

There is at least an inch between the fan and the plastic seat base... actually closer to 2". If you notice in the picture it shows up behind the wiring bundle... I am going to try it without drilling holes in the seat base for the heat mode. The microwave vent fan filter is pretty porous. I have it wired and will test it shortly after I reinstall the seat base... blows pretty good with no seat! Also the filter is not right up against the fan shroud, there is a gap may be 1/4 to 3/8"... it's experimental, we'll see!

Thanks,

FredD

Last edited:
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All great questions!

I wanted a straight flow without ductwork, hence the single fan...

There is at least an inch between the fan and the plastic seat base... actually closer to 2". If you notice in the picture it shows up behind the wiring bundle... I am going to try it without drilling holes in the seat base for the heat mode. The microwave vent fan filter is pretty porous. I have it wired and will test it shortly after I reinstall the seat base... blows pretty good with no seat! Also the filter is not right up against the fan shroud, there is a gap may be 1/4 to 3/8"... it's experimental, we'll see!

Thanks,

FredD
Cool!
Keep us posted!

Reactions: BWAF
mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Another question;

How much of a bioch was it to take off all those interior panels??

A

Andy-R

Aug 22, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We took our first 1000-5 ride in the woods today,90 degree heat. The rig handled the mud holes well. Our only complaint was the engine heat to the seat was pretty bad.
I like the fan idea for later but need an insulated shield or something like that, looking for ideas before I go on Amazon.
Dove season next weekend!

Reactions: BWAF and Farmer
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is that fan waterproof? Does it have any kind of circuit protection in case debris gets in the fan or will it just burn up the motor?

Zax185

Zax185

Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2018
Montgomery, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
6C008CEC 405F 45AB 8FA3 EC99AAD10FC7 B7740126 3545 4626 93C7 4208C6356764
that's going to be one of my winter projects.

A couple observations though..

do you think its far enough from the plastic panel to pull air properly?

While I like the idea of protecting the fan blades, I'd be concerned that the filter would inhibit flow... have you tried it yet?
I went with the pair of bilge fans but I would go with what moves the most air and uses the least voltage. The 7” looks great and interested to hear about voltage drop, noises, and air flow.

gpshemi

gpshemi

Aug 5, 2016
Lapeer Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

So I did this mod about a year ago or so. I firat had the 4" bilge fan. it worked ok, but is really noisey. Then I switched to an automotive 7". It flows about 4 times more air, amd when it was new, you could hardly hear it run. It's still quiet.. It works well for the front, but I've also found it turns the rear footwells into a blast furnance. My next move it to pipe some of it out the skid plate like DEI's kit.

Reactions: Zax185 and BWAF
A

Andy-R

Aug 22, 2018
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
looks like there's a "casbin comfort improvemenyt kit" for 16 & 17's. I'll check with a local dealer for getting it done on Honda.
thx

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I did this mod about a year ago or so. I firat had the 4" bilge fan. it worked ok, but is really noisey. Then I switched to an automotive 7". It flows about 4 times more air, amd when it was new, you could hardly hear it run. It's still quiet.. It works well for the front, but I've also found it turns the rear footwells into a blast furnance. My next move it to pipe some of it out the skid plate like DEI's kit.

Well, given the fact that I don't have any rear footwells, that sounds good! :)

Did you mount it the same as the OP? Do you use it in reverse in the winter?

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All great questions!

FredD

Another question; Considering there are only two wires coming from that fan, ie; pwr and ground... how are you going to wire it to reverse at will?

The answer is probably simple, but keep in mind, when it comes to electrical stuff... I'm retarded. :)

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Another question; Considering there are only two wires coming from that fan, ie; pwr and ground... how are you going to wire it to reverse at will?

By reversing the wires will cause the motor to reverse directions.

By reversing the wires will cause the motor to reverse directions

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dpdt switch

The answer is probably simple, but keep in mind, when it comes to electrical stuff... I'm retarded. :)

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Okay.. seriously, I already have a 3 position switch on my panel for "fan". it's already grounded, and there are obviously two pwr wires coming off it..how do I wire it so it'll run either way?

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay.. seriously, I already have a 3 position switch on my panel for "fan". it's already grounded, and there are obviously two pwr wires coming off it..how do I wire it so it'll run either way?
It has to be double pole dual throw to switch polarity like this 80897bb4dd307c305f2071972bcd758c

Last edited:
Reactions: mjn
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Double Pole / Double Throw

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!