P500 UPI 3/8" UHMW Skid Plates

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I was looking at the 2017 Honda Pioneer skid plates. I had heard that they are metal, vs the plastic of the prior years. Examining the parts fiche, it looks like only the middle plate is metal. The front and rear still had the same part number.

So started looking at other options. I saw UPI's 3/8" UHMW 3 piece skid plates on ebay, selling for $250. Doing a quick check found their website and the same skid plates are listed for $300. :rolleyes: On a quirk, made an offer for $220 and it was immediately accepted. So, try lower if you go for them. ;)

15-17 HONDA PIONEER 500 3/8 UHMW POLY SKID PLATE BASH GUARD OFF ROAD | eBay

The plates were shipped on the same day and was in the hands of FedEx, showing a delivery of 5/13. :) This was timed perfectly since the pioneer was still on the stands from my recent winch wiring.

They arrived this AM, and quickly removed them from the box. The 3 piece set is very close to the oem pattern. The main difference being the seem between the plates. The UPIs have a puzzle/interlocking seem that when installed makes for a very close to a one piece design.

Last edited:
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Since I already had the oem skid plates off, the install went very quick. They are slightly more effort to install than the oem, but that isn't much. They weigh a bit more, so installing like I did with only myself, took slightly more effort. Because of the interlocking design, you need to install all three pieces loosely, such that you can position them, before tightening down. The 3/8" UHMW is counter sunk for the mounting cups. There is also play at each so you have adjustability. They were all installed within a hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dp5hunter
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Here are the two rear plates. The oem is only 1/8" compared to the 3/8" UPI.
GEDC2116

Rear Plates overlapped:
GEDC2114

Middle plates overlapped:
GEDC2113

Front plates overlapped:
GEDC2111

J

Johnsee

Jul 3, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the info. Was looking at those yesterday on ebay. Nice to know that they fit. Maybe that will force the greedy $$$ dude to rethink his outrageous pricing .

Reactions: Dp5hunter
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Another option is to build your own using UHMW sheeting, a scroll saw, drill bits, chisel and the stock bolts and washers. UHMW is easy to work with and wood working hand tools will do the trick. When I made mine I used 9mm thick material and didn't put drain holes in it only oil drains, engine and rear differential. After a couple years and 3,000 Kms it held up exceptionally well, one of the best protective mods you can do IMO. $220.00 is a good price pending the material make up. Think mine is UHMWPE, incredibly durable, like bullet proof, stock material would have been torn off by now.
cheers,
j

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I installed the UPI skid plates yesterday in this UHMW plastic and they are very beefy, all holes lined up perfectly and I got them for $220 shipped as well. I highly recommend

Reactions: trigger
Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I've been eyeing those on eBay as well. Really need to do it, because my factory skid is beat!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!