P1000 Utah Street Legal P-1000

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just finishing up making the Pioneer Utah street legal. Still need mirrors, but it's essentially done. It is homegrown and was not from any kit. I researched and cobbled together the parts, wired and loomed to where it looks pretty much as original as possible. It was a lot of fun but I had many hours in it making it super clean.

I just want to go mostly anywhere unrestricted...

Here's some pictures...who doesn't like pictures!! HA!

20170609 134756
20170609 134613
20170609 134554
20170609 134523
20170609 134516

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That is amazing work right there....... and it looks awesome too!!!!!

Reactions: sharp and Arizona
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Elk! I'm stoked about getting this thing street legal here. It really opens up where we can go. I just got some Moose rear view mirrors and I think they are amazing for the price, $50 OTD I couldn't beat them...very robust. They have no detent, but I can live with that compared to Sizmik mirrors at $150! OUCH!

I left room on the dash for "someday" additions. I'd love to be sporting some bad ass LED's but the reality of it is...I RARELY go out at night! By that time, we're kicking it with some KSBW (Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey) and grillin'.

Speaking of KSBW...I gott'a go.

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Wow those blinkers are proper bright, great job. On both my ATV and Side by Side I installed my own custom front & rear blinker system on toggles, because the only available kits to order are like the 'ATV turn signal kit' I didn't like the looks of them because they use tiny LED lights meant as trailer/truck maker lights and they are in no way bright enough or large enough, too dim in daylight and they disappear in sunlight. After a long search I found KC Cyclone lights, I used amber, very bright, almost too bright at night but show up well in daylight & sunlight. An added bonus is when you turn both turn signal toggles on, you get hazard/warning lights. I felt that accidentally leaving a turn signal on could be dangerous, like a vehicle waiting to pull out, I left my turn signal on by mistake, they think I'm turning but I'm not, and they pull out in front of me. So near the steering wheel on the dash, I have a tiny bright green LED that flashes with the blinkers, lets me know they are on and reminds me to turn them off after a turn. I should post a short video & pictures. Living in states like Idaho & Arizona that allow us to make our toys road legal is really cool. I enjoy and put way more miles on my machines being road legal. Again congrats on your blinkers, very nice!

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is an Idaho Tag accepted for driving Utah roads if it has the upgrades like signals and a horn to make it street legal or does one need an in state tag to drive Utah roads? I'm gonna be spending a lot of time in that area soon and I want everything to go smoothly. What else did you need to do to your pioneer to make it street legal? Thanks

Reactions: sharp
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow those blinkers are proper bright, great job. On both my ATV and Side by Side I installed my own custom front & rear blinker system on toggles, because the only available kits to order are like the 'ATV turn signal kit' I didn't like the looks of them because they use tiny LED lights meant as trailer/truck maker lights and they are in no way bright enough or large enough, too dim in daylight and they disappear in sunlight. After a long search I found KC Cyclone lights, I used amber, very bright, almost too bright at night but show up well in daylight & sunlight. An added bonus is when you turn both turn signal toggles on, you get hazard/warning lights. I felt that accidentally leaving a turn signal on could be dangerous, like a vehicle waiting to pull out, I left my turn signal on by mistake, they think I'm turning but I'm not, and they pull out in front of me. So near the steering wheel on the dash, I have a tiny bright green LED that flashes with the blinkers, lets me know they are on and reminds me to turn them off after a turn. I should post a short video & pictures. Living in states like Idaho & Arizona that allow us to make our toys road legal is really cool. I enjoy and put way more miles on my machines being road legal. Again congrats on your blinkers, very nice!
I'd like to see your lights setup.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think if it's street legal, it's street legal. I can't see how one state can dispute another states plate. Here's the Utah law.

Attachments

• Street-Legal-ATV-Requirements.pdf
    364 KB · Views: 363
Reactions: sharp and 100Acre
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They can and do...

Oh well, What ever state disputes my Utah license plate won't see any revenue from me. Utah is among the most ATV friendly of any state in the union. They figured out there is BIG money in recreation...Skiing in the winter and ATV in the summer. It brings in $$$ from all over the USA/world. Check out the Piute trail system, all run by the state. There is like over 1000 miles of trails...and all trails lead to little towns that sell gas, rent rooms and sell hamburgers. Nearly all Utah town have ATV routes and "Share the Road" routes.

With some of the best riding in the world, I'm content here...Where it gets sticky is with the Feds...BLM, US Forest roads and National Rec areas/ National Parks and some county roads.

That's the reason for the plate...

J

JTW

Oh well, What ever state disputes my Utah license plate won't see any revenue from me. Utah is among the most ATV friendly of any state in the union. They figured out there is BIG money in recreation...Skiing in the winter and ATV in the summer. It brings in $$$ from all over the USA/world. Check out the Piute trail system, all run by the state. There is like over 1000 miles of trails...and all trails lead to little towns that sell gas, rent rooms and sell hamburgers. Nearly all Utah town have ATV routes and "Share the Road" routes.

With some of the best riding in the world, I'm content here...Where it gets sticky is with the Feds...BLM, US Forest roads and National Rec areas/ National Parks and some county roads.

You won't hear any argument from me... I understand the issues they sometimes bring but I'm all for atv towns! Hell of a lot safer than a motorcycle, moped or bicycle that are allowed on the roads!

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Love it out in Utah, did this Ride Report on it here with info, maps, etc.

Multi - Ride Report - Paiute Trails / Central Utah

Reactions: sharp and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and JTW
SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I think if it's street legal, it's street legal. I can't see how one state can dispute another states plate. Here's the Utah law.
Ppl in TN register there sxs as a medium speed vehicle, if you read the rules and regulations of " medium speed vehicle" it's speed is greater than 30 mph but cannot exceed 35 mph nor be on a road that is posted more than 40 mph. Must have turn signals front & rear, horn, windshield compliant with motor vehicles regulations and so on. I have the paper to prove it. Not wasting my $29.99 for it. Playing dumb works best on somethings. Wife claims I've got that role wrapped up. :rolleyes:

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I agree with Plongson, we can share states In AZ you are not required to have turn signals, you can do the hand/arm thing for signals like the motorcycles. As a matter of fact, the license plates have the letters "MC" stamped into each one even though they are for sxs's. I have a friend down the street that is from Minnesota (snowbird) with Minnesota plates and the bears just go by him, he does not have turn signals either. We generally only go to the store, get gas or down to the 2 bit car wash. To go riding we just load them up, other wise we spend most of the time riding the same trials over and over to get to new country, boring.

Reactions: sharp and dotman1
J

Jshell3

Just finishing up making the Pioneer Utah street legal. Still need mirrors, but it's essentially done. It is homegrown and was not from any kit. I researched and cobbled together the parts, wired and loomed to where it looks pretty much as original as possible. It was a lot of fun but I had many hours in it making it super clean.

I just want to go mostly anywhere unrestricted...

Here's some pictures...who doesn't like pictures!! HA!

View attachment 45978 View attachment 45979 View attachment 45980 View attachment 45981 View attachment 45982

So clean. All of it.

What's the secret to the rear blinkers? I know of a kit to do what you've done, but it's $300. How much do you have in it?
And, what do the front turn signal look like?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ppl in TN register there sxs as a medium speed vehicle, if you read the rules and regulations of " medium speed vehicle" it's speed is greater than 30 mph but cannot exceed 35 mph nor be on a road that is posted more than 40 mph. Must have turn signals front & rear, horn, windshield compliant with motor vehicles regulations and so on. I have the paper to prove it. Not wasting my $29.99 for it. Playing dumb works best on somethings. Wife claims I've got that role wrapped up. :rolleyes:
Im swapping my medium speed for a class 1. No speed limit limitations as long as it's not a state highway. That gives me pretty much unlimited access to my area. These things are a blast driving around town.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So clean. All of it.

What's the secret to the rear blinkers? I know of a kit to do what you've done, but it's $300. How much do you have in it?
And, what do the front turn signal look like?

I have about $170.00 in the project plus wire I already had, that including switches from ORTTW, MOOSE side mirrors as well.. State inspection was $7.00 and tags/license from the DMV was $101.00 for the year. Already had the required liability insurance.
Key to the blinkers is the Tekonsha taillight converter. Clip into the rear PK loom and treat the taillights like LED trailer lights. I soldered most connections in exposed areas and used shrink tube and loom material to shield.

Everything was Amazon
Capture
Capture1

Capture2

J

JTW

I have about $170.00 in the project plus wire I already had, that including switches from ORTTW, MOOSE side mirrors as well.. State inspection was $7.00 and tags/license from the DMV was $101.00 for the year. Already had the required liability insurance.
Key to the blinkers is the Tekonsha taillight converter. Clip into the rear PK loom and treat the taillights like LED trailer lights. I soldered most connections in exposed areas and used shrink tube and loom material to shield.

Everything was Amazon
View attachment 46222 View attachment 46223

View attachment 46224
I'm going to have to give this a go!

Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very nice, a lot cleaner than the street legal signal on mine from the Honda dealer. May have covert mine.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!