P1000 Valve clearance mystery!

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just checked the valve adjustments on my 2016 P1000 at the 100 mile service. All intakes were right on at .006" and 3 of 4 exhausts were .009", the other one was .0095". Still within spec but I adjusted it to .009" because I'm picky.
Here's the mystery, my Honda shop manual shows exhaust valve clearance to be .009". My Honda owners manual on page 248 shows .012"!? I'm sure the shop manual is correct because that is what the valves were at. Just don't rely on the owners manual spec pages for your valve clearance specs! Anybody got a 2017 owners manual? Curious what it shows?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks foe the heads up!

Reactions: sharp
pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just checked the valve adjustments on my 2016 P1000 at the 100 mile service. All intakes were right on at .006" and 3 of 4 exhausts were .009", the other one was .0095". Still within spec but I adjusted it to .009" because I'm picky.
Here's the mystery, my Honda shop manual shows exhaust valve clearance to be .009". My Honda owners manual on page 248 shows .012"!? I'm sure the shop manual is correct because that is what the valves were at. Just don't rely on the owners manual spec pages for your valve clearance specs! Anybody got a 2017 owners manual? Curious what it shows?
Did you use, or need to use the liquid silicon gasket maker as per the shop manual? If so, what brand did you use?

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes this is what I used. Make sure you get the two alignment pins on the exhaust side of the valve cover in their holes prior to torquing valve cover.
Thank you so much. I assume you reused the gasket and only applied the permatex to the two small areas?

Reactions: AZhunter
AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you so much. I assume you reused the gasket and only applied the permatex to the two small areas?
I bought a new gasket, but I think reusing it would be ok. If the old one weeps oil it would just leave oil spot on that area in which case you could always just replace it. I only applied gasket maker where the manual showed (those two spots) and just used a very small amount applying most toward the outside so it doesn't squish inside the motor. I could only find that BIG tube of gasket maker, so try to find a small tube if you can. Good luck to you!

Reactions: pmward
pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a new gasket, but I think reusing it would be ok. If the old one weeps oil it would just leave oil spot on that area in which case you could always just replace it. I only applied gasket maker where the manual showed (those two spots) and just used a very small amount applying most toward the outside so it doesn't squish inside the motor. I could only find that BIG tube of gasket maker, so try to find a small tube if you can. Good luck to you!
AZhunter, job done. Thanks for the help. Front cylinder exhaust valves were .010". Adjusted to .009. All other valves were dead on spec.

Reactions: AZhunter
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!