P500 Walker Evans Shock Review part 2

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Not a report here but an observation. I ran the same shocks this past weekend and, in my opinion, if you ride normally with a medium load, even if rocky terrain, I would hold off and see if softer springs are forthcoming. Riding the central PA terrain I noticed little difference with preload pretty soft (though not softest) and shocks on softest setting...just wondering if softer springs for this machine may help for the leisure driver like me-lol
I would give them a call and inquire about exchanging your springs for another set with a lower spring rate. The guy I talked to last week suggested that an exchange could be possible for customers who desire it. I would be curious to know how painless such an exchange would be.

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I am hoping for an improvement with the new shocks. But I am very much aware that there is only so much you can do with such a limited amount of wheel travel. Anxious to try out the new shocks.The weather here in southern Ohio is supposed to be good this weekend. Hopefully I will have them installed by then.

Reactions: SBuckJ
Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
This should be your next review. How these handle with no sway bar hooked up. With oem shocks, it is a definite improvement on ride and articulation
I was hesitant to remove my sway bar. But after reading everything on this site concerning the benefits of taking it off, I am going to remove the sway bar when I jack my buggy up to install the new shocks.

Reactions: trigger and SBuckJ
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
When I purchased mine a little over 3 weeks ago, they said I was the third to order...mainly due to many of us on the Facebook page waiting to see of the discount would come through (which it did)...everyone who ordered after me had to wait 2 weeks because only 1 set was in stock..that's why I figured only 3 sets. My hesitance comes from whether to get 175# or 200# springs...it's a little rocky and bumpy here in central PA so I'll wait for some videos doing the comparison..I'm more of a leisure driver that likes to use the right foot once in a while but not a jumper lol

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
When I purchased mine a little over 3 weeks ago, they said I was the third to order...mainly due to many of us on the Facebook page waiting to see of the discount would come through (which it did)...everyone who ordered after me had to wait 2 weeks because only 1 set was in stock..that's why I figured only 3 sets. My hesitance comes from whether to get 175# or 200# springs...it's a little rocky and bumpy here in central PA so I'll wait for some videos doing the comparison..I'm more of a leisure driver that likes to use the right foot once in a while but not a jumper lol
I did not get the discount. Was unaware of it at the time I placed my order. I paid list price but no taxes and free shipping. Hope I did not miss out on a big savings lol. Live and learn. I too am curious to see the results of the lighter rate springs. I am not a jumper either ha ha. Well not an intentional jumper. But sometimes those jumps appear out of nowhere on an unfamiliar trail. It's pretty rough and bumpy where I do most of my riding also.

Reactions: jay_man81
jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Maybe there are people who have bought them that you or I are not aware of. I don't know how many they have sold. But I will have firsthand knowledge concerning any improvement they provide very soon. Checked my FedEx tracking number just now and my new shocks should arrive tomorrow or the next day. And I was encouraged when they implied over the phone that if I were not happy that we could work out an exchange for lighter rate springs. Time will tell. Will be sure to share my impressions as soon as I get them installed and try them out.
Nice to hear they will work with you if you want a lighter spring rate! I should be getting the lighter springs from them sometime this week and am going to start right off with 175's to see what they do for the ride. I'm thinking they are going to be best suited for what most people ride. They may have quite a few who have already gotten the shocks want to exchange for the lighter springs.

Reactions: chrisC and Derail
jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I did not get the discount. Was unaware of it at the time I placed my order. I paid list price but no taxes and free shipping. Hope I did not miss out on a big savings lol. Live and learn. I too am curious to see the results of the lighter rate springs. I am not a jumper either ha ha. Well not an intentional jumper. But sometimes those jumps appear out of nowhere on an unfamiliar trail. It's pretty rough and bumpy where I do most of my riding also.
I encounter a lot of unexpected bumps and jumps where I ride as well and the shocks are nice for that. I will say now that I've had them for a couple week I find myself on average driving 10 to 15 mph faster on every trail I ride. If the softer springs make it ride even nicer yet, I'm going to have to do a 550 big bore kit so I can go even faster...lol

Last edited:
jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Should be able to start shooting comparison next week! I live in Central Pa as well so my tests will be on the kind of trails you ride on.

C

Chooglin

The spring rate on my Proggresive shocks are 100-150 and they feel pretty plush at lower speeds. When running faster 25-35 mph on rough trails , they are a tad to soft.

I know the W.E. shocks are a much better/more advance shock , but I think a spring rate of 175 to 200 for the Proggresive shocks would be just right. I would think the W.E. shocks would work well in that range also!

chrisC

chrisC

Lifetime Member
Jul 4, 2015
Newfoundland, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
The spring rate on my Proggresive shocks are 100-150 and they feel pretty plush at lower speeds. When running faster 25-35 mph on rough trails , they are a tad to soft.

I know the W.E. shocks are a much better/more advance shock , but I think a spring rate of 175 to 200 for the Proggresive shocks would be just right. I would think the W.E. shocks would work well in that range also!
I figure if the progressives had compression adjustment like the WE they would probably be fine at that higher speed with softer springs? There's a very noticeable difference in how that adjustment allows them to absorb the larger bumps . I'm waiting to see how the 175lb springs do with Jay-man81 's test .
I'd like to see how 150lb springs with the WE do ... ;)
Maybe next round of tests :D

Reactions: Chooglin
advertisement
C

Chooglin

I figure if the progressives had compression adjustment like the WE they would probably be fine at that higher speed with softer springs? There's a very noticeable difference in how that adjustment allows them to absorb the larger bumps . I'm waiting to see how the 175lb springs do with Jay-man81 's test .
I'd like to see how 150lb springs with the WE do ... ;)
Maybe next round of tests :D
I agree 100% , I wish they had the compression adjustment, it would make for a much better setup as far as the Progressive shocks go.

Reactions: chrisC
M

mercert1

Aug 25, 2017
Westminster, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I agree 100% , I wish they had the compression adjustment, it would make for a much better setup as far as the Progressive shocks go.
Just ordered a set of the W.E. fronts.... Chris at WE said they are testing and will determine spring rate for style of riding in a week or so... will ship my fronts when it has been decided so probably 2-3 weeks out! $249ea plus shipping seems fair to me! the front stock shocks suck! I am sure they added to my layover on Memorial day!

IMG 3009

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Man, I really wish that I had known about this website and and had read all this information you guys have concerning the shocks before I ordered them. It would seem that they have not quite figured out the ideal spring rate for pioneer 500 shocks. I checked the FedEx tracking number and my shocks are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I called Chris at Walker Evans just now and talk to him about my concerns and wanted to make sure that I would be able to exchange springs if it was determined that I needed some with the lighter rate. He did inform me that there is some testing being done in the next few days. And he told me that if I did want to exchange springs that he would have a better idea of which ones I needed after this testing concludes. He told me to hold off installing my shocks until I talk to him around the first of next week because if I dinged up or scratched the springs that he would not be able to exchange them for me. However, he did tell me that he would send me a new set of springs and that I could switch them out myself if I came to the conclusion that that is what I wanted to do. So I will hold off on installation until this is sorted out. I still have faith in the new Walker Evans shocks. In hindsight it probably would've been better if I had waited until this is all settled before I ordered them. But it's no big deal. I just wanted to put this on here to maybe let people know that if they are interested in these shocks, it would probably be a good idea to wait just a few more days before placing an order. Hopefully they will have it figured out soon.

Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Nice to hear they will work with you if you want a lighter spring rate! I should be getting the lighter springs from them sometime this week and am going to start right off with 175's to see what they do for the ride. I'm thinking they are going to be best suited for what most people ride. They may have quite a few who have already gotten the shocks want to exchange for the lighter springs.
Please let us know what you conclude as soon as you are able. My assumption is that you are the one Chris at WE was talking about when he said that testing was being done with different springs. I am holding off installing my new shocks for a few days just in case I want to switch the springs. Thanks !!!

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
IMG 0772
Please let us know what you conclude as soon as you are able. My assumption is that you are the one Chris at WE was talking about when he said that testing was being done with different springs. I am holding off installing my new shocks for a few days just in case I want to switch the springs. Thanks !!!

Got them today and will start testing them tomorrow as long as it's not raining hard enuf to get my cameras wet...lol. I'm starting with the 175lb on the front and 200lbs on the rear. That's what most people are going to be most curious about. Front what I've herd from a couple people that have the 175 on the front they are great. I'll know soon.

Reactions: Miss_Oak and Derail
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
He did inform me that there is some testing being done in the next few days.

It's cool that they're stepping up and willing to exchange springs, a little disconcerting that their R&D department didn't know that they'd be too stiff. They're leaving that up to @jay_man81 apparently. They should be kickin' down some sh** to him for field testing their product for them, atleast some t shirts and stickers. Or 5% of all the 500 sales! :D
Thanks for keeping us in the loop guys, I'm following...

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
It's cool that they're stepping up and willing to exchange springs, a little disconcerting that their R&D department didn't know that they'd be too stiff. They're leaving that up to @jay_man81 apparently. They should be kickin' down some sh** to him for field testing their product for them, atleast some t shirts and stickers. Or 5% of all the 500 sales! :D
Thanks for keeping us in the loop guys, I'm following...
It's good. They sent me a nice bit of stuff for doing the testing! Plus the attention it's brought my channel is a big plus. Hoping I can spring off this and continue to grow my channel once the testing is all done. I have lined up a few other products to test for both the 500 and 1000 so we'll see. I'm in talks right now with a Yamaha dealer about getting an early sneak peak at the new 2018 wolverine X4 so fingers crossed.

M

mercert1

Aug 25, 2017
Westminster, CO
Ownership

1. 500
It's good. They sent me a nice bit of stuff for doing the testing! Plus the attention it's brought my channel is a big plus. Hoping I can spring off this and continue to grow my channel once the testing is all done. I have lined up a few other products to test for both the 500 and 1000 so we'll see. I'm in talks right now with a Yamaha dealer about getting an early sneak peak at the new 2018 wolverine X4 so fingers crossed.
The way Chris explained it to me is that they will determine from outside testing what spring rate meets different riding styles. I took that as we can order spring rates from 175, 200 and 250LBS depending on how we ride instead of W.E. offering jut one spring rate.

Reactions: Derail
Derail

Derail

Aug 31, 2017
Southern Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I have talked to two different people at WE and Chris seems to be the most knowledgeable/helpful dude to deal with. I am a bit disappointed that I won't be installing my shocks tomorrow but it is not too big of a deal to wait a few more days. It is a substantial purchase and I just want to be sure to get the best possible setup. So I will wait til Jay does his testing and then make a decision on spring rate when he gets it all sorted out. I am sure I am not the only one who appreciates all his time and help. It is very much appreciated. On a lighter note, I did finally remove my swaybar this evening.

Reactions: trigger
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!