P1000 Warn 5000 to new LE

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I just bought a new 2019 LE to be picked up end of the month. In the meantime I thought I would order a winch of which the Warn 5000 lb seems to be a good one. Can anyone tell me if I need to add other bumper items to make this work if will it be a bolt on. Also I have seen some here bolt on top of the bumper which seems like a better place than low, can you tell me if I can do this on the LE.
Anything else you can share would be much appreciated.
Thanks much and stay healthy.

Reactions: Isaiah and JenElio
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bought a new 2019 LE to be picked up end of the month. In the meantime I thought I would order a winch of which the Warn 5000 lb seems to be a good one. Can anyone tell me if I need to add other bumper items to make this work if will it be a bolt on. Also I have seen some here bolt on top of the bumper which seems like a better place than low, can you tell me if I can do this on the LE.
I could be wrong, but I doubt think the winch mounts TO the bumper on LE, but rather below it. On my TC bumper it does mount on top of the bumper.

Reactions: JenElio
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
You'll need a winch mount, of which there are multiple options: Warn, KFI, EMP, etc. I have the KFI and it puts the winch line at an odd angle coming off the spool but I have pulled on it quite a bit (often for extended periods) with no issues. If you plan to run synthetic line you'll want to pick up a Hawse fairlead (6" width for P1k) instead of a roller. @Hondasxs sells a pre-wired winch switch in the club store if you plan on installing a switch plate in the dash at some point.

If you aren't deadset on the Warn 5000, the Viper winches in the club store are popular. @Hondasxs can get you setup with everything you need to get the winch installed.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is “on top”. warn Axon 45S with Warn winch bumper.
732B9F60 5E0C 483E A3F4 CA502658FBAF

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Adam490, thaks for putting me onto the club store. I'm new and didn't eve know it was there. I have a question, so many users have winches in the 4-5500 lb range it seems odd to me that large a winch is needed. Is that overkill or is the extra strength really useful.
Thanks to all for your help so far. I'm getting a good education here.

Reactions: JenElio and Adam490
G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Schmeg, care to share how you installed that?
Thanks

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
golfer1...........I had a warn provantage 4500. You have to remember that you only have 4500lbs of pulling strength for that first wrap of rope/cable on the spool...........and it goes down quick as it spools in. I winched a couple times with the 4500 and it felt like it would 'almost' stall. So, I moved the 4500 to our rzr 570, and put an axon 55 on there. I have not used it yet, but feel more comfortable knowing it can pull more. Snatch blocks are good and can increase the pulling power..........but it reduces your cable length to half.

My experiences may not echo that of others.

Waylan

Reactions: JenElio and Enigma
G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
walex, I see so as the spool gets larger from the cable wrap it decreases the pull weight ability.the line pull weight.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Schmeg, care to share how you installed that?
Thanks
The Maine portion of the bumper utilized the 4 factory bumper attachment bolts and mounts in the same location at the front of the frame rails. The lower half of the bumper is actually a thick skid plate that attaches to the bottom of the bumper using 3 bolts. The bottom of the skid plat attaches to the frame of the buggy using 2 U-bolts and nuts. The bumper is designed for the Provantage 4500, Axon 45 and the Axon 55. So I guess it will,handle the abuse. It looks fairly solid. There are two fittings in front for shackles. I got my setup through Montana Jacks on line. Super nice folks. It’s just a small shop in Montana. They are a Warn authorized service center.
FCBB1B44 E6B9 44F0 B930 4831C427E468
The owners name is Scott. I asked and he tossed in a free fairlead Mount. The rest of the mounting hardware is right there. The Axon is super easy to rig up. Here is a pic from the side. It doesn’t stick out too bad.

Reactions: JenElio and Enigma
G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
schmeg, that looks like a nice setup. So I''m a little confused on the setup. Is that the LE stock bumper system or an aftermarket unit. I like how the winch sets up and is reachable and can be maintained easily.

advertisement
Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s the Warn winch bumper part#101700. the factory LE bumper ha to come off. The whole thing. Just the factory bolts are retained. So there certainly isn’t as much brush protection available with this bumper especially around the headlights, but I ride on wide open trails. I was looking for a high mounting solution without being a big, bulky bumper which some people prefer. To each his own. This simply a trail machine that needs to cover terrain at the rate of 1000+ mile weeks with good reliability and ease of use. A good return policy doesn’t work for me with anything. I want reliability right out of the box. The Warn setup meets that goal. Yep. A spent a few bucks. But hey, I’m still into this build for just under 20K including the soft doors and back window which aren’t in this photo. Stock rubber wasn’t going to cut it, so I went with Pitbull Growlers. Good and rugged with good general traction.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great info Adam490. What about winch covers? Worth the $$$ or not to keep the mud out ???

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Adam490, thaks for putting me onto the club store. I'm new and didn't eve know it was there. I have a question, so many users have winches in the 4-5500 lb range it seems odd to me that large a winch is needed. Is that overkill or is the extra strength really useful.
Thanks to all for your help so far. I'm getting a good education here.
No problem. I'm sure you intend to keep your LE bumper, so you just need to pick up a winch mounting plate and decide whether you want to run synthetic or cable. I'm running a cheap Harbor freight Badlands 5000 winch that I put synthetic line on. It's slow as all hell but has never let me down.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Jut like Walexa07 said, a good snatchblot can double your winch pulling power. Rhino brand comes to mind but there my be others. Archimedes's was a pretty smart guy.

Reactions: Isaiah
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Great info Adam490. What about winch covers? Worth the $$$ or not to keep the mud out ???
Not sure if you meant that for me? My winch is frame mounted on a plate behind the bumper so there's no way you're getting a cover on there. I wouldn't waste your money on one if you decided to go with an after-market bumper where you could top mount it though.

Reactions: Isaiah and JenElio
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yep Adam490, thanks for the quick answer. Cable or synthetic rope?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Yep Adam490, thanks for the quick answer. Cable or synthetic rope?
Synthetic. Buy two ropes when you decide to swap over to the synthetic. Buy good line; I broke two cheap Amazon ones before buying new amsteel blue lines. I just swapped to my new backup line last weekend after running the old one hard for almost 8 months and it was starting to look a little worse for wear. Save the old one for an extension or you can make some soft shackles.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great idea Adam490 about using the old line for soft shackles. I have not thought about that one. Thanks

Reactions: Isaiah
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!