WARNING: X4 Possible wiring harness problem.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not sure if this is a fluke or a problem but two separate X4 LV owners have reported their wiring harness rubbing on the RR seatbelt bolt. Both of these machines are LV so it is uncertain at this point if the NLV is also a possible problem.

One owner reports at 1100 miles rubbing all the way through the outer jacket and 2 wires, causing arcing, blown fuses, warning lights, running and PS problems. The other owner reports rubbing but not yet penetrated the harness at 1000 miles. There are some detailed pics and explanation here in case anyone wants more info...

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Appreciate the heads up on that…👍

Reactions: Smitty335
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not sure if this is a fluke...
NO, it is not a fluke, I have changed the title of this thread to a WARNING.

So far, several X4 owner (both LV and NLV) that have checked has confirmed that the harness is either touching the bolt and rubbing or is very close.

Every X4 owner should check this or have their dealer look at it.

Note: This is NOT a problem on a 2 seater, only the 4 seat models.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
This concerns the Right Rear seatbelt bolt that goes into the tunnel.

Here are a couple images to make this a little clearer...

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Great work PaulF. Thanks for the heads up. !!!!

Reactions: TripleB
Drainbung

Drainbung

Jun 11, 2021
Fallabama, NV
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks for the heads up on this. I only have 112 miles on mine Non LV but pulled the rear console to verify. The harness was attached to the center stanchion but I could see where over time it could start rubbing on the bolt. I put a couple zip ties on the harness to keep tension away from the seat bolt and also put a rubber dust cap over the end of the bolt with a blob of RTV. I'll make a point of keeping an eye it for a while.

Stilly1155

Stilly1155

Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2020
Peoria AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Checked mine today. Looks like when the dealer installed the S&B particle separator they moved the harness away from the bolt. I also zip tied mine for safety.

HarnessHarness1Harness2

J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Good morning
Thanks for posting this warning, I checked my Talon and sure enough the wiring harness was in hard contact with the seat belt bolt, mine did not have damage yet. I pulled the console and inspected the harness and bolt, it looked like the bolt was to long for the place it was in so I cut it back and rounded the end so the it did not protrude beyond the female thread escutcheon leaving a very smooth end with lots of clearance from the harness.
See attached photo please, I believe this can be done quite easily without pulling the console although your Talon could be different.

Have a great day From sunny hot California
SXS

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good morning
Thanks for posting this warning, I checked my Talon and sure enough the wiring harness was in hard contact with the seat belt bolt, mine did not have damage yet. I pulled the console and inspected the harness and bolt, it looked like the bolt was to long for the place it was in so I cut it back and rounded the end so the it did not protrude beyond the female thread escutcheon leaving a very smooth end with lots of clearance from the harness.
See attached photo please, I believe this can be done quite easily without pulling the console although your Talon could be different.

Have a great day From sunny hot CaliforniaView attachment 289817
That would be my preferred fix. The harness can't wear on the end of a bolt that's no longer there. 👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!