Warranty denial

Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Have an 11 month old R FLV. The shock light came on and then went off. Stopped by the dealer and they said bring it in and confirmed it’s still under warranty. They pulled some codes from the vehicle memory but none were present now. U1470-00, U0126-00 and C0051-00. They cleared the codes and then couldn’t replicate it on test drive. Said it needed an alignment which I had them do.

SA claims since they weren’t ”active” when I took it in it’s not a warranty item.

Anyone ever have a similar experience?

Thanks very much.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Have an 11 month old R FLV. The shock light came on and then went off. Stopped by the dealer and they said bring it in and confirmed it’s still under warranty. They pulled some codes from the vehicle memory but none were present now. U1470-00, U0126-00 and C0051-00. They cleared the codes and then couldn’t replicate it on test drive. Said it needed an alignment which I had them do.

SA claims since they weren’t ”active” when I took it in it’s not a warranty item.

Anyone ever have a similar experience?

Thanks very much.
sounds like this wasn't clear when you dropped off - doesn't sound like warranty work - machines throw codes - they weren't present when you dropped off, so they did some diagnostic work requested but not needed

this sucks - owner thinks pulling codes is free, dealer thinks pulling codes is billable work.... if there was an active warranty problem - it woulda all been covered

fortunately I live in small area, small local Honda dealer, If I needed to, I could call him and ask if I swing by, can u pull some codes while machine is on trailer for me - wouldn't be a charge - I buy ridiculously overpriced lubricants\tires from him - good guy but works both ways.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is a fine line. If the codes were in history, something failed at some time during the warranty period.
Did they offer a diagnosis of repair? Pay the fee to the dealer, then you have record of failure if/when the light comes back when it is 1 month out of warranty.

S

Scrappapotamus

The Scrappapotamus
Lifetime Member
Nov 2, 2022
Midway KY
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R

4. Talon R LV
Has the light reappeared or was this a one time thing? I had the same thing happen to mine and was told to always allow the machine to go through the on key process before starting the engine. Haven't seen the light since. I also purchase the 4 yr Honda extended warranty on my machines as well. Thus far I've yet to have any issues on any of my Honda machines

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Has the light reappeared or was this a one time thing? I had the same thing happen to mine and was told to always allow the machine to go through the on key process before starting the engine. Haven't seen the light since. I also purchase the 4 yr Honda extended warranty on my machines as well. Thus far I've yet to have any issues on any of my Honda machines
im with ya - I had the i4wd come on every now and then - each time I was on an ice covered trail on one side so I am sure the wheel speeds were all crazy one side to another - threw a light, ran fine, stopped to take a break, fired up, lite went away - I am sure that code is still there

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If you bring in a vehicle that is not currently displaying any DTCs, ask them to check things out, and they find old, stored codes, I would NOT expect them to cover the diagnostics under warranty. There is nothing currently wrong with the vehicle. A stored DTC is not the same as an active one.

>> Anyone ever have a similar experience?

Not with my SXS, but with my cars and trucks? Sure.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
If you bring in a vehicle that is not currently displaying any DTCs, ask them to check things out, and they find old, stored codes, I would NOT expect them to cover the diagnostics under warranty. There is nothing currently wrong with the vehicle. A stored DTC is not the same as an active one.

>> Anyone ever have a similar experience?

Not with my SXS, but with my cars and trucks? Sure.
u r a freaking genius and practical - the freaking check engine lite for a loose gas cap is an example of a code that comes and goes - wifey took the jeep to get oil swapped - of course dealer pulled old codes as part of "service" - told them to f-off if they think there is a charge to tell me the gas cap was loose in the past - young service manager almost pissed his pants when I told him that - lol

Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
sounds like this wasn't clear when you dropped off - doesn't sound like warranty work - machines throw codes - they weren't present when you dropped off, so they did some diagnostic work requested but not needed

this sucks - owner thinks pulling codes is free, dealer thinks pulling codes is billable work.... if there was an active warranty problem - it woulda all been covered

SA is new and as I mentioned I stopped in and asked about it. He said it's under warranty - bring it in - it's covered.

Of course nothing is in writing.

It is a fine line. If the codes were in history, something failed at some time during the warranty period.
Did they offer a diagnosis of repair? Pay the fee to the dealer, then you have record of failure if/when the light comes back when it is 1 month out of warranty.

That's my point. The light came on under warranty. Something went wrong or the light is faulty. Since they pulled codes - and U0126-00 is "Steering angle sensor - CAN communication fault" and C0051-00 is "Steering angle sensor plausibility" - something was wrong.

I did pay for the work.

Light came on while I was driving. I didn't shut it off until after I got it on the trailer. It was off when I got home and started it back up. I went into the dealer and asked about bringing it in and they said yes.

Took it out again a couple weeks later. It went on three different times. It would clear for a while after turning it off and then come back on. There was a noticeable change in the way the suspension felt after it turned on.

u r a freaking genius and practical - the freaking check engine lite for a loose gas cap is an example of a code that comes and goes - wifey took the jeep to get oil swapped - of course dealer pulled old codes as part of "service" - told them to f-off if they think there is a charge to tell me the gas cap was loose in the past - young service manager almost pissed his pants when I told him that - lol

This isn't a CEL that could be for who knows what. It's a light specifically related to the LV system.

I'm not trying to start an argument with my second post. Just not happy with the dealer. I've had multiple issues with the service department - starting with the steering wheel being crooked when it was delivered.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
SA is new and as I mentioned I stopped in and asked about it. He said it's under warranty - bring it in - it's covered.

Of course nothing is in writing.

That's my point. The light came on under warranty. Something went wrong or the light is faulty. Since they pulled codes - and U0126-00 is "Steering angle sensor - CAN communication fault" and C0051-00 is "Steering angle sensor plausibility" - something was wrong.

I did pay for the work.

Light came on while I was driving. I didn't shut it off until after I got it on the trailer. It was off when I got home and started it back up. I went into the dealer and asked about bringing it in and they said yes.

Took it out again a couple weeks later. It went on three different times. It would clear for a while after turning it off and then come back on. There was a noticeable change in the way the suspension felt after it turned on.

This isn't a CEL that could be for who knows what. It's a light specifically related to the LV system.

I'm not trying to start an argument with my second post. Just not happy with the dealer. I've had multiple issues with the service department - starting with the steering wheel being crooked when it was delivered.
thanks for the follow up - there is a known issue with water in that sensor and that may be throwing the code for ya

we are into helping and rough around the edges and don’t hold back - lol

Thanks for bearing with us

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Repairs are warrantied, sure. But diagnostics when there are no active issues (i.e., no DTCs actively present) aren't. Again, if a code gets thrown, but then clears up on its own, is not an active issue, even if it's a DTC that gets stored. Had the DTC been present or a light on when you brought it in, I would have expected all work, including the diagnostics, to have been covered.

This the same way diagnostics for most vehicles (e.g., cars, trucks, SUVs, etc.) is handled, even when the vehicle is still under warranty.

I don't believe @DRZRon1 was implying it was. He was just using it as an example of how a DTC could be active, then clear itself.

I noticed that the steering wheel on my P1K5 was crooked after I got it home, too. After checking and adjusting alignment (they are almost always toed out too much from the factory), I R&R'd the steering wheel and all was good. No reason to go to the dealer for that, at least for me.

advertisement
Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
thanks for the follow up - there is a known issue with water in that sensor and that may be throwing the code for ya

we are into helping and rough around the edges and don’t hold back - lol

Thanks for bearing with us

Appreciate that! The dealer didn't mention that and I have a lot to learn. Not much water here but I have driven through some.

I can be rough around the edges too - but I don't want people to think I'm an ass with my second post.

Happy to be here! No issues on my end.

Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Repairs are warrantied, sure. But diagnostics when there are no active issues (i.e., no DTCs actively present) aren't. Again, if a code gets thrown, but then clears up on its own, is not an active issue, even if it's a DTC that gets stored. Had the DTC been present or a light on when you brought it in, I would have expected all work, including the diagnostics, to have been covered.

This the same way diagnostics for most vehicles (e.g., cars, trucks, SUVs, etc.) is handled, even when the vehicle is still under warranty.

I don't believe @DRZRon1 was implying it was. He was just using it as an example of how a DTC could be active, then clear itself.

I noticed that the steering wheel on my P1K5 was crooked after I got it home, too. After checking and adjusting alignment (they are almost always toed out too much from the factory), I R&R'd the steering wheel and all was good. No reason to go to the dealer for that, at least for me.

Based on the code my gut says it was thrown because the steering wheel was on crooked when it was delivered. I may be wrong. I tried to remove the steering wheel myself but they had it torqued on so tight I couldn't get the nut off - even with a two foot breaker bar. Dealer fixed it at the first service.

I get that codes can clear. It's happened to me four times with this alone. But there's a reason it was thrown - and that's probably because steering wheel was crooked. It was driven with it crooked for time, the wheel was straightened, and then the problem occurred. I now know they are often delivered out of alignment - but didn't before. IMO that should be something looked at in the PDI - but I guess it's not. So should having a steering wheel be straight.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Based on the code my gut says it was thrown because the steering wheel was on crooked when it was delivered. I may be wrong. I tried to remove the steering wheel myself but they had it torqued on so tight I couldn't get the nut off - even with a two foot breaker bar. Dealer fixed it at the first service.
Buy yourself a nice 20V impact gun like the Dewalt DCF891.
I now know they are often delivered out of alignment - but didn't before. IMO that should be something looked at in the PDI - but I guess it's not. So should having a steering wheel be straight.
I doubt anyone will do either of those at PDI. Toe out alignment is just that - this is an ORV, not a sportscar. As for the steering wheel, I'm sure if you ask, they will (as you did), but R&R the steering wheel is just a Band-Aid if your alignment is off -- which you'll eventually figure out when your tires wear prematurely or the vehicle handles poorly.

Glad you're happy with it ATM.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: Blownzuki
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Be careful messing with the steering wheel and alignment on newer machines. I believe they require a steering angle sensor relearn. I believe the procedure is in the service manual for 22+ Pioneers. I would have to check a newer Talon manual to see what it says.

22+ Pioneer 1000

Service manual has 3 or 4 pages of procedures. I am not going to copy/paste them all.

Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Buy yourself a nice 20V impact gun like the Dewalt DCF891.

I doubt anyone will do either of those at PDI. Toe out alignment is just that - this is an ORV, not a sportscar. As for the steering wheel, I'm sure if you ask, they will (as you did), but R&R the steering wheel is just a Band-Aid if your alignment is off -- which you'll eventually figure out when your tires wear prematurely or the vehicle handles poorly.

Glad you're happy with it ATM.

I do need a new impact gun. Sold my old air compressor when I moved 2500 miles.

As I mentioned in my first post I had them do an alignment.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Be careful messing with the steering wheel and alignment on newer machines. I believe they require a steering angle sensor relearn. I believe the procedure is in the service manual for 22+ Pioneers. I would have to check a newer Talon manual to see what it says.

22+ Pioneer 1000
View attachment 431976
Service manual has 3 or 4 pages of procedures. I am not going to copy/paste them all.

Thanks Neohio! That would seem to confirm what I was thinking and said in post #12.

The wheel was crooked at delivery. It was driven about 100 miles before it went back to the dealer and they put it on straight. No warning light until that was done. They did this at its first service and it's on the repair order they did that. No mention of doing a steering angle relearn on it. I'll look in the service manual. Just joined last night and now will take advantage of the resources!

Anyone know if the steering wheel comes installed from the factory or does the dealer do that?

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks Neohio! That would seem to confirm what I was thinking and said in post #12.

The wheel was crooked at delivery. It was driven about 100 miles before it went back to the dealer and they put it on straight. No warning light until that was done. They did this at its first service and it's on the repair order they did that. No mention of doing a steering angle relearn on it. I'll look in the service manual. Just joined last night and now will take advantage of the resources!

Anyone know if the steering wheel comes installed from the factory or does the dealer do that?
always the last thing that gets touched for the most part - jeez - good luck

what I know from the smart honda tech that was on here there was some calibration procedure that could only be done at the stealership with the diagnostic tool for the steering angle sensor

Reactions: Blownzuki
Dollar Bill

Dollar Bill

Lifetime Member
Jun 6, 2024
Carson City
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
always the last thing that gets touched for the most part - jeez - good luck

what I know from the smart honda tech that was on here there was some calibration procedure that could only be done at the stealership with the diagnostic tool for the steering angle sensor

Yeah - part of what I don't understand. If it was somehow missed in PDI you'd think the guy that put it on the trailer to bring it to my house would have noticed and said "uh - this needs to be fixed before I take it, so the customer doesn't say something when I drop it off".

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yeah - part of what I don't understand. If it was somehow missed in PDI you'd think the guy that put it on the trailer to bring it to my house would have noticed and said "uh - this needs to be fixed before I take it, so the customer doesn't say something when I drop it off".
You're giving them way too much credit.

Again, beyond basic assembly and fixing something that is literally a massive obvious issue, PDI isn't going to result in any fix/repair.

advertisement