P500 Water in headlight

J

JustWater

Sep 24, 2018
NE Florida
Ownership

1. 500
riding around in the swamp behind my house the other night and ended up with the front end in a pretty deep ditch submerged the lights. Pulled it out but noticed driver headlight is holding water and bulb is broke. Other one is fine, shouldnt it be sealed? Could this be a warranty issue or am I dreaming?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
riding around in the swamp behind my house the other night and ended up with the front end in a pretty deep ditch submerged the lights. Pulled it out but noticed driver headlight is holding water and bulb is broke. Other one is fine, shouldnt it be sealed? Could this be a warranty issue or am I dreaming?

I seem to remember a running joke about "10 inches of clean water" or something along those lines being the warranty guideline. So if it is above the tires or not crystal clear then you are warranty-less for water intrusion seemed to be the jest of it.

Reactions: JustWater
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
(Insert blinker fluid jokes)
Warrant will not cover that as said above.
And yes this should be sealed. It should not have gotten water inside.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
BLINKER20FLUID

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I'm pretty sure the owners manual specifically says not to drive in water over 12" deep. I cannot fathom how it would be the manufacturer's responsibility to replace a light the owner submerged in water.

That being said, I would take the light out clean and dry it, replace the bulb and make sure the gasket is sealing between the housing and bulb socket assembly. May even want to use a bit of clear silicone to ensure it keeps water out. If this is something you will do repeatedly better extend the fuel tank vent tube before you suck it full of water. The seat foam will retain water too if submerged, better make drainage holes in it. More that a few found out the hard way with water logged seat foam becoming frozen solid in winter.

rtn001

rtn001

May 23, 2018
Central Florida
Ownership

1. 500
If you haven't done it yet you really need to extend your vent lines. I'm in Central Florida near the St Johns River and when it floods we get real wet. Extending the vents is one of the smart things I did and don't ask how deep I sank it. Lol All the info to do is here.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Recall @Little_g , warranty denial, engine wet by cold water. Must have been a factory rep. who transferred from Polaris Corp. Hella of a forum Search bar to be able to find this stuff.
P500 - Monday/Friday machine UPDATE 3/2/18

Last edited:
Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!