P500 Water Depth

C

carlpop1

Jan 15, 2021
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 500
What is the maximum water depth a 500 can traverse without problems? Is any post-event special maintenance required at this depth? Thx

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
Snorkels do help in the case of running a reasonable depths (12" to 18" in my opinion) then dropping into a unforeseen deeper hole, provided you also run the vent hoses to the top of the snorkel and don't kill the engine. The problem is that when routinely running through deep water there is a higher chance that water will get into wiring, cables, electronics, etc.. Plus the deeper the water you normally run, the deeper the unforeseen holes. Just remember that if the engine dies it doesn't matter how high the snorkel is, the exhaust is a direct path to the engine.

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I remember hearing or reading that the vent lines and air box are about seat height level but cannot confirm.

Where I am from, we do not play in deep water. At most, we do creek crossings on trails, so snorkeling is overkill for me, imo.

If you believe you have sucked in water, I would perform fluid changes on the machine and let it dry out.

Reactions: Smitty335
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
This thread really details a nightmare a member had with Honda warranty because “cold water splashed on the hot engine.” A read from the beginning is worth it.

Reactions: HiFive and Morpheus
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The vent line for the gas tank is curled up on top of the gas tank so not very deep. Probably $25 or $30 to snorkel and extend vent lines and it's one of the easiest diy mods you can do.
Those that drown their machines fall into two categories, the one's with no mechanical knowledge and had no idea it was even possible (usually kids). Those that knew better and did it anyway (dumba**).
Either way, post event special maintenance isn't good. Drain the gas tank, pull the air filter, pull the plug, check the oil for water and change if necessary. Dry it out, new parts, fire it up.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Several responses, but no answers! That's life I guess. ;) :)
You're correct. I shoulda answered better than that. @carlpop1 Hey buddy the air intake is behind the seat about butt level, however as a few others have mentioned the front and rear diffs and gas tank vents are lower than that. You also have a cooling fan motor vent hose. Some people vent the radiator overflow bottle somehow, but I never have. I wasnt trying to be a smartass earlier when I answered you about snorkeling it. My personal opinion is a snorkel should be the first mod on any sxs or 4 wheeler, but thats just me. If you search the site or YouTube Im sure you will find plenty of info. Good luck man and post some pics.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
If we listened to all the warnings in the owners manual, we'd never take it off the trailer :p
Probably true but, 10" like the manual says is a starting point.
Running in water up to the floor board (little bit of water coming in under the doors) is no problem - about the 10" level.
Personally I don't like to get my butt wet, that is about the level of the air intake (it's right behind the seat, left side for the p500, right side for the p520).
FYI I have not snorkeled or extended the vents on my p500.
I've gotten wet a few times, reach up and turn the key off, p500 has a great P-trap like a sink in the exhaust to keep water out.
I would rather dry water out after shutting down than suck water in the intake.

C

carlpop1

Jan 15, 2021
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 500
So...I should have said UNMODIFIED P500. I live in the desert and so not hard to avoid water. There are however some water crossings. I would want to keep the water below the battery.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well the battery is underneath the passenger rear fenderwell. There is relays and fuses inside of it also. If you dont wanna go deeper than that, take a look at the battery box location and compare it to the depth of the creek youre trying to cross. However, it doesnt hurt to get water in the battery box.
So...I should have said UNMODIFIED P500. I live in the desert and so not hard to avoid water. There are however some water crossings. I would want to keep the water below the battery.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, I don't worry much about the electrical either, anything I've added has been dielectric greased. Might do some damage over time but I don't make it a habit of going deep. Even having my vent lines extended though, my rear diff was a little milky when i changed it out a few weeks ago. Don't know how or why, been a couple yrs though. 🤷‍♂️

FiresteelFlyfisher

FiresteelFlyfisher

Lifetime Member
Dec 22, 2020
Upper Peninsula Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope she gives good snorkle because if that water gets in the pipe you are toast
I have had my 100LE with exhaust snorkle in just over the factory wheels but keep er movin'

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!