P1000 Water -- What are the thoughts on crossing streams

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
What are the thoughts on crossing streams two feet deep and lots of current. Will the Honda drown as CP'S did or are we ok ?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What are the thoughts on crossing streams two feet deep and lots of current. Will the Honda drown as CP'S did or are we ok ?

You will need to snorkel your diffs, subtrans, and fuel tank as they are all below two feet I think. As for the intake, it's right under the hood and as long as you don't make a wave you'll be ok. Maybe only drove in reverse and then it won't splash up.

Seriously though, I definitely say get a snorkel. There are many styles to choose from and you may like what @Hondasxs did.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2 feet your fine just don't go too fast to where the water pushes up under the hood. You will have a lot of water that will come pouring in through the pedals and soak your feet though.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
How fast are we talking about current wise? My first thought is avoid it as I've seen cars taken in as little as a foot of water with the right current flowing.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
pretty much the lowest vent point is right at seat level.... rear diff, engine and fuel tank are at that level. The front diff might be higher. The engine is snorkeled to up under the hood. quick stream crossings that your butt doesn't get we are OK.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
How fast are we talking about current wise? My first thought is avoid it as I've seen cars taken in as little as a foot of water with the right current flowing.

This^

Be very, very wary of flowing water. The weight of that water is WAY higher than the weight of your vehicle and you are only in contact with the ground on 4 very small (relatively speaking) patches of wet rubber.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Snorkel. If not do not create a splash. At all times keep front edge of hood no less then 3 inches above water. If it for any reason gos above that shut her down and pull out, use a small drill bit on lower portion of plastic intake under the passage side and replace with a small screw with sealant.

Last edited:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive said it before and still stand by it.....modify that intake in some way. At least use Hondasxs's design. They cost too much to chance it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ive said it before and still stand by it.....modify that intake in some way. At least use Hondasxs's design. They cost too much to chance it.
I second that Delton! There's honestly no reason in my eyes not do do something otherwise just don't mess around. It's too costly

Reactions: joeymt33
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I've rode in some pretty fast currents with no issue and others that pushed me to deeper parts of the river. Go slow and look at the river/creek and see what it's doing. Best i can tell you without being there.

Reactions: Delton and DRAGFOOT
advertisement
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Unhook your seat belts for deep moving water. You can't see the bottom and a roll over or getting washed down stream could happen. My buddy and his wife in their RZR 800 could not unhook their seat belts and they were just rolled over on their side in the sand.

Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
I've been looking for Hondasxs modification but cant' find it , do you know what thread it is in?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I second that Delton! There's honestly no reason in my eyes not do do something otherwise just don't mess around. It's too costly
Exactly. There's really no downside to snorkeling. Hondasxs's version and the one I use can be removed with absolutely no trace of it ever existing and nothing needs to be replaced.
As for the current, I have no experience. Just please make sure you err on the side of caution. If in doubt, back it out.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!