DIY Snorkel

D

Dasmoeturhead

Yes that's what I used

View attachment 16667
Looks good. Did you go up though the cup holder? Looks like a pvc pipe after the hose. Can you elaborate on that section of the snorkle? Thanks for you help. I'm trying to figure out the best route. I really like the under the hood setup.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
The hose runs to a small piece of pvc where it squeezes behind the red plastic. I was afraid of it pinching or rubbing against the hose there. After that short 12 inch section of pvc it goes back to hose then makes a turn up to cup holder there is another section of pvc that acts to be a solid piece where the flexible section. (The big flexible hose on the outside of cup hold is from an old back pack blower. I did this because I didn't want a solid piece all the way through the dash. If I were to catch it the solid piece could torque dash and crack it so the flexible arm come out to pvc that I painted up to safari style snorkel head. All the stuff was left over from old projects or junks other than the generic China safari head snorkel intake at top. Let me know if you have other questions.

Image Image Image

Reactions: Tot and Hondasxs
D

Dasmoeturhead

The hose runs to a small piece of pvc where it squeezes behind the red plastic. I was afraid of it pinching or rubbing against the hose there. After that short 12 inch section of pvc it goes back to hose then makes a turn up to cup holder there is another section of pvc that acts to be a solid piece where the flexible section. (The big flexible hose on the outside of cup hold is from an old back pack blower. I did this because I didn't want a solid piece all the way through the dash. If I were to catch it the solid piece could torque dash and crack it so the flexible arm come out to pvc that I painted up to safari style snorkel head. All the stuff was left over from old projects or junks other than the generic China safari head snorkel intake at top. Let me know if you have other questions.

View attachment 16669 View attachment 16670 View attachment 16671
Thank you for those pictures. You did a very nice and we'll thought job. Like you I like to see if I can make something up, with what I've got laying around. Again, that's a fine job. I have a leaf blower part I'm thinking of using also :)

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Guess you could say that your snorkel is crappy and it blows. Lol

Reactions: cwalton and Tot
Chipper

Chipper

May 30, 2016
Savannah GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What are y'all using with the snorkels for an air filter to take place of the stock air filter?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Here is my entry into the DIY simple snorkle setup.
WARNING - UPDATE, do not use the pre-filter like I did below. See this post DIY Snorkel
-------------------
I have no plans to go deep. So a extension up higher up under the dash might work for me. I will be replacing the pre-filter with a new clean one so I can gauge mud entry. If a lot then back to drawing board!
E2adaa8918acbf23c8203571d69524d4

WARNING - UPDATE, do not use the pre-filter like I did below.
8527323aeb6f922e5cf86f2fb7b9436a

Last edited:
Chipper

Chipper

May 30, 2016
Savannah GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok so you came up with your own version of a filter, I was curious, thank you, that was the only thing that I have not seen documented. I am not the first to say this but I really appreciate this forum, the administrator, and the people! This is a really special and amazing forum and unbelievable amounts of knowledge, I am about to get my p1000-5 and looking so forward to helping other riders just like y'all do, I am was addicted and ever since I have stepped on to you guys I am hooked even worse!!!!!

Reactions: dotman1
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok so you came up with your own version of a filter, I was curious, thank you, that was the only thing that I have not seen documented. I am not the first to say this but I really appreciate this forum, the administrator, and the people! This is a really special and amazing forum and unbelievable amounts of knowledge, I am about to get my p1000-5 and looking so forward to helping other riders just like y'all do, I am was addicted and ever since I have stepped on to you guys I am hooked even worse!!!!!
Welcome to the forum! If you have a question just ask!

Reactions: Chipper
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Not that I will be going deep but because of the design flaw we really need to snorkel the 1000, is that correct to say?
I will just say... It's better to have a Snorkle and not need one than to need one and not have one;). Because of what happened to CumminsPusher I snorkels mine and extended vents upward.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have no plans to go deep. So a extension up higher up under the dash might work for me. I will be replacing the pre-filter with a new white one so I can gauge mud entry. If a lot then back to drawing board!
View attachment 16686
View attachment 16687
That is an awesome idea. This is the route I will take if I ever find a problem with my current setup. Simple and effective.

D

Dasmoeturhead

I have no plans to go deep. So a extension up higher up under the dash might work for me. I will be replacing the pre-filter with a new white one so I can gauge mud entry. If a lot then back to drawing board!
View attachment 16686
View attachment 16687
I'm with you. I don't plan on running in deep water. I'm just going to do it as a precautionary Mod. I thought about just terminating under the hood, but I'm concerned about engine heat. Fresh cool air is best, but you probably won't be able to feel any HP loss, if there is any. Anyway I like yours as well. Its definitely better than the stock setup.

Reactions: Stauvo
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes i want to just deflect the high speed splash so i will check this out. Thanks guys!:)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I have no plans to go deep. So a extension up higher up under the dash might work for me. I will be replacing the pre-filter with a new clean one so I can gauge mud entry. If a lot then back to drawing board!
View attachment 16686
View attachment 16687
Well...
I need to flag my post as a defective. Lol.

Went to check it today and the pre-filter is gone. Guess it got sucked down the pipe.
F925aacee06dcc90d4456f06ca4b72aa

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!