P1000 Thoughts on what battery to use for auxiliary battery.

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a question that I know you folks can give advice on. I am due to replace my factory battery in my 2016 1k5. I am going to do the dual battery setup and wondering what battery I should use for auxiliary battery without breaking the bank.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My auxiliary battery

Battery image GYZ32HLx21184

Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I appreciate the info fellas. Think I will give the mighty max a try. The price is definitely right.

Wisco pioneer

Wisco pioneer

Apr 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With the aux battery set up will the alternator charge both batteries?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With the aux battery set up will the alternator charge both batteries?

Yes. Many here use a True battery isolator . . . it's really a management system. It will allow a charging source for either battery to also charge the other battery once the battery being charged reaches 13.3 volts or so. When discharging one battery, it will allow the other battery to "help out" but will not allow the battery helping to drop below 12.8 volts.

As an example, if you are winching with engine off, as circumstance won't allow you to run engine, the aux battery (usually primary for the winch) will run the winch but the main battery will help out until it's voltage drops to 12.8. Thus reserving power to start the engine later.

Disclaimer, I'm getting old, so stated voltages may not be exact, but you get the idea.

Wisco pioneer

Wisco pioneer

Apr 1, 2022
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That's what I thought, putting plow on and just making sure. Thanks

M

mactoyscb

May 10, 2022
canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been running the True isolator and a mighty max battery as aux with no issues at all. Can't go wrong for that price it seems. Good luck! So much great info to be found here.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes. Many here use a True battery isolator . . . it's really a management system. It will allow a charging source for either battery to also charge the other battery once the battery being charged reaches 13.3 volts or so. When discharging one battery, it will allow the other battery to "help out" but will not allow the battery helping to drop below 12.8 volts.

As an example, if you are winching with engine off, as circumstance won't allow you to run engine, the aux battery (usually primary for the winch) will run the winch but the main battery will help out until it's voltage drops to 12.8. Thus reserving power to start the engine later.

Disclaimer, I'm getting old, so stated voltages may not be exact, but you get the idea.
Bumperm's been the source and fountain of all things voltage. Hear him, or die.
(allrighty then, there's no no need for anyone to die or even get close. Don't be stupid and cellphones can help.)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a question that I know you folks can give advice on. I am due to replace my factory battery in my 2016 1k5. I am going to do the dual battery setup and wondering what battery I should use for auxiliary battery without breaking the bank.
I called Tru Battery Isolators and asked the what battery I needed, they told me the Odyssey, that was five years ago, still going strong?

Reactions: Ericseabaugh

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!