P1000 Connecting battery for emergency

B

Bryston

Sep 7, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi,
I have a dual battery on my 1000, with True isolator, the other day my main battery was dying so I ended up using a boosting it with booster cable from the socond battery.
Can I install a cable between the + sides with battery switch for emergency with the True isolator already installed?
If I accidentally leave the switch between the battery on will that damage any thing?
Thanks

IMG 0848

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
While it shouldn't harm anything, per se, I wouldn't do that myself. You're creating a permanent (potential) Band-Aid when you should be addressing the root cause. And that Band-Aid could lead to issues if you leave it "on" while an issue is still present.

I would:

1. Determine root cause and fix it (e.g., replace defective battery, find short and address, etc.)

2. Make a jumper cable (or buy a battery cable) and keep it with you, just in case you want to override the normal operation of the isolator (open circuit) in order to start the buggy in an emergency. 6 gauge or bigger wire (bigger means lower number, like 4 gauge).

Assuming your charging source is not the root of your issue, there is no need to keep the batteries connected after starting. If you do that and the cause of the drain is still present, you risk running down the AUX battery, too.

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
No issue with said design. Just don't forget to disconnect it.

But as said. I carry this extra wire in my glove box for just this reason. I've used it several times already for mine and other machines.

Just place/hold it on the 2 isolator post for a moment while someone cranks it. 5c5b66b8bfb75821668bb5fcaf058090

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

B

Bryston

Sep 7, 2020
Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you, I think my battery need replacement it will charge but discharge quickly, the volt meter read 14-14.2v while engine running. I assume it should be charging, battery will charge some but when left for 2 days it dies, checked for parasitic current can’t find any? Tha machine not used for the whole winter( heated Grage but not battery tender). My fault.
I just wanted a switch for emergency only, instead of looking for jumper cable ( I already have hidden somewhere). The switch will be under the hood.
Thanks

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi,
I have a dual battery on my 1000, with True isolator, the other day my main battery was dying so I ended up using a boosting it with booster cable from the socond battery.
Can I install a cable between the + sides with battery switch for emergency with the True isolator already installed?
If I accidentally leave the switch between the battery on will that damage any thing?
Thanks

View attachment 394852
I wouldn't do it, but I'm stupid and would forget to turn it off some where down the line.

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
All above were giving you options and why it could be a problem later.
But, if it works for you, do it. I did, just what you are asking about.
I actually have a tri battery system.
WTF, WHY?? Because I can, and I had most of the items already.
If you think strictly farm use, lots of snow plowing(winch use), you might understand.
I have you all's normal dual system, but on my floor in the center is a 1000 CCA deep cycle battery. It is attached, in parallel, to the secondary(aux) system. In winter my Honda sits out side. Evening, trickle charger is plugged in.
Is that 1000 cca over kill? Yep, but I never worry about not having enough power.
Here is my dash.
6 dash mounted

Here is the wiring for the Flux Capacitor
FLUX CAPACITOR 2

The only purpose of the Flux Capacitor switch, is to provide power in the event the main battery can not. Nope, I have never needed it, and most likely never will.
Hopefully, exactly like the weapon that is always on my side.
If you wanted something under the hood like you said, you could use a turn switch like this.
Wire it in like this.
Emergency bypass

Have a good day

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
If I was this worried about not being able to start my buggy, I'd simply carry this and not add a bunch of complexity and additional points of failure to the machine:

Limited-time deal: NOCO Boost X GBX75 2500A 12V UltraSafe Portable Lithium Jump Starter, Car Battery Booster Pack, USB-C Powerbank Charger, and Jumper Cables for up to 8.5-Liter Gas and 6.5-Liter Diesel Engines

With how you use your Pioneer, @Mark in Northern Iowa, your solution is spot on. But not for "average/normal" use.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 395044

Similar to Hondasxs, I made this short jumper wire to go across the Isolator Terminals.

Easy to store. One person can install it quickly, no tools needed.

Nice job . . . but I see you overlooked a potential problem. You have the red wire hooked up to the negative (black) side of each clip handle. That could easily confuse most dumber electrons (or even queer electrons that blow fuses) to cause a high resistance connection or even the dreaded "reverse polarity, high resistance short circuit"!

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Nice job . . .queer electrons that blow
Blow watt ???

The old clips were bare copper. I found some vinyl tubing, shoved it on there and held it in place with the black shrink wrap. I was out of red. Then a few days later i purchased more red shrink wrap and installed it on the outer clips.

That’s why I mentioned “across the Isolator Terminals”.

I appreciate your attention to details. I surely wouldn’t want to confuse anyone.

It’s so easy a caveman can do it !

When I do loan it out, I require the individual watch a 13 minute instructional video and sign a release form.

Can’t be too careful these days.

Thank You Kind Sir !

Last edited:
NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Gees , I just remembered, I built that for my 700 !! Anyone know if it will work on my 1000 ?? Maybe make the wire longer to accommodate the extra 300 cc.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!