TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
JTW would be a great person to talk about the KRX. He is probably one of the most knowledgeable on this forum. Unfortunately the literal prison guard of this forum gatekeeps a lot of his meaningful advice. Its an unfortunate trend we have seen with the zealot leftist to silence anything they can't stomach discussing or reading. Mind your words they suffer no wrongspeak around these halls. Other wise welcome to the forum!
He got twittered!

G

GuyOnABuffalo

JTW would be a great person to talk about the KRX. He is probably one of the most knowledgeable on this forum. Unfortunately the literal prison guard of this forum gatekeeps a lot of his meaningful advice. Its an unfortunate trend we have seen with the zealot leftist to silence anything they can't stomach discussing or reading. Mind your words they suffer no wrongspeak around these halls. Other wise welcome to the forum!
Thank you

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
He sounds like quite the character. I think I’ll keep my distance.

Really? Why do you say those machines over the talon or pioneer?
Because the SxS world has moved on, and Honda, as usual, aims for an outdated target. I'm sure the Talon is great, and if you need to do work, the Pioneer would be a good choice as well...but as a pure trail machine, the 2 machines I mentioned have upped the game.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I were buying one, those would be my choice.

G

GuyOnABuffalo

Because the SxS world has moved on, and Honda, as usual, aims for an outdated target. I'm sure the Talon is great, and if you need to do work, the Pioneer would be a good choice as well...but as a pure trail machine, the 2 machines I mentioned have upped the game.

I guess what I'm saying is that if I were buying one, those would be my choice.
Thank you! What are the advantages to either vs the other? What about can am?

advertisement
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
There's a lot of good machines out there, go check them out and find out what YOU like. Be honest with yourself about what you want to get out of it, what type of terrain you're going to ride, etc. Is the Talon or Pioneer the best machine out there, overall no, not really but that's an opinion. No matter who you talk to you'll get only get someone's opinion. I have not driven a KRX so I don't have much to offer, only what I've read. I have seen one on the trails and it looks big, whether it handles like it looks in unknown to me. I've got a P5 only because it was cheap & based on a proven design (Foreman ATV) and a Talon X. When I was looking for a "sporty" SxS I was only looking at the Talon & the YXZ because I didn't want a belt drive, not because they are bad, I just wanted to be able to shift gears.....I like it, it's addicting. I've got belts on my snowmobiles and didn't want a SxS with a belt. There's plenty of room for improvement in other areas of the Talon, namely the suspension is subpar as built from the factory compared to the competition. Some like to harp about no front locker but the i4WD hasn't let me down so I have nothing to say either way about it, it has worked flawlessly for me. "IF" I were to look at a belt machine it would be an RMAX hands down. Figure out what you want and go with it. Good luck & post pics once you get one regardless of the brand......as long as it's not a Polaris 🤣

G

GuyOnABuffalo

There's a lot of good machines out there, go check them out and find out what YOU like. Be honest with yourself about what you want to get out of it, what type of terrain you're going to ride, etc. Is the Talon or Pioneer the best machine out there, overall no, not really but that's an opinion. No matter who you talk to you'll get only get someone's opinion. I have not driven a KRX so I don't have much to offer, only what I've read. I have seen one on the trails and it looks big, whether it handles like it looks in unknown to me. I've got a P5 only because it was cheap & based on a proven design (Foreman ATV) and a Talon X. When I was looking for a "sporty" SxS I was only looking at the Talon & the YXZ because I didn't want a belt drive, not because they are bad, I just wanted to be able to shift gears.....I like it, it's addicting. I've got belts on my snowmobiles and didn't want a SxS with a belt. There's plenty of room for improvement in other areas of the Talon, namely the suspension is subpar as built from the factory compared to the competition. Some like to harp about no front locker but the i4WD hasn't let me down so I have nothing to say either way about it, it has worked flawlessly for me. "IF" I were to look at a belt machine it would be an RMAX hands down. Figure out what you want and go with it. Good luck & post pics once you get one regardless of the brand......as long as it's not a Polaris 🤣
Thank you!
What is it about the rmax that you like over the talon or krx? I think I’ve ruled out the pioneer based on all the issues I’ve read here.

G

GuyOnABuffalo

Unfortunately, there aren’t many dealers in my area. I can’t just go test drive machines and I’m really not sure that driving around a parking lot will help me much.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
what part of the country? what type of trails, desired average speed.? how rough terrain?
my Talon has been amazing with over 4500 miles, i'm NOT easy on it either. highspeed desert, slow mountains. it's done it all for me.
My pioneer has been all over the rocky mountains and no real issues. it got hot and almost overheated once. but has been perfect sense.
if i were in the market today i'd strongly consider the R-Max, or the can-am maverick trail, or commander.
The KRX is overbuilt and nice machine, the best suspension geometry in the business. but way under powered for what it is.
All makes have issues. belts have a life span, granted my can-am went 4500 miles on each belt it had. still a wear item.
the stock talon with the live valve is hard to beat. put some 32" tires and got enjoy. IMO.
the total cost of maintenance of the talon is lower compaird to the rest.

Last edited:
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
There's a bit of a KRX cult following on here, a few are a little over the top about them.

Pioneer is great multi-use machine, but if you just want a good trail machine only I'd stick with Talon or KRX. I got a Talon X 2 seat when they came out and had no issues. Switched to a 4 seater last year to bring the family. I'd have a really tough decision if I had to choose between Talon and KRX, probably lean to KRX. Since there is no KRX 4 seater I didnt have to make the choice. Yamaha wolverine was also on my short list when looking for a 4 seater. My kids were not comfortable sitting in the back of the pioneer because they are tall 5'10 and 6'.

Many don't like the I4wd in the Talon, but I rarely notice it being and issue. Only time it has been was on extreme rock trails where you were taking off from stop, where a true locker would grip from the start, the I4wd took some wheel spin to kick in.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!