What’s the best machine for trail riding

G

GuyOnABuffalo

what part of the country? what type of trails, desired average speed.? how rough terrain?
my Talon has been amazing with over 4500 miles, i'm NOT easy on it either. highspeed desert, slow mountains. it's done it all for me.
My pioneer has been all over the rocky mountains and no real issues. it got hot and almost overheated once. but has been perfect sense.
if i were in the market today i'd strongly consider the R-Max, or the can-am maverick trail, or commander.
The KRX is overbuilt and nice machine, the best suspension geometry in the business. but way under powered for what it is.
All makes have issues. belts have a life span, granted my can-am went 4500 miles on each belt it had. still a wear item.
the stock talon with the live valve is hard to beat. put some 32" tires and got enjoy. IMO.
the total caust of maintenance of the talon is lower compaird to the rest.
So you haven’t had any issues with the talon. It’s interesting you say the Kawasaki is under powered. It was my understanding they had more horsepower than many other non turbo machines. I’m leaning towards the rmax but I keep reading conflicting info regarding these other machines. My Buffalo are my babies and I don’t want to spend time working on a machine when I need to be working with them.

G

GuyOnABuffalo

There's a bit of a KRX cult following on here, a few are a little over the top about them.

Pioneer is great multi-use machine, but if you just want a good trail machine only I'd stick with Talon or KRX. I got a Talon X 2 seat when they came out and had no issues. Switched to a 4 seater last year to bring the family. I'd have a really tough decision if I had to choose between Talon and KRX, probably lean to KRX. Since there is no KRX 4 seater I didnt have to make the choice. Yamaha wolverine was also on my short list when looking for a 4 seater. My kids were not comfortable sitting in the back of the pioneer because they are tall 5'10 and 6'.

Many don't like the I4wd in the Talon, but I rarely notice it being and issue. Only time it has been was on extreme rock trails where you were taking off from stop, where a true locker would grip from the start, the I4wd took some wheel spin to kick in.
That’s great information.. thank you! It’s almost as though I can roll a dice and choose between the three. Is the i4wd the only talon issue? Why would you say the krx over the rmax?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That’s great information.. thank you! It’s almost as though I can roll a dice and choose between the three. Is the i4wd the only talon issue? Why would you say the krx over the rmax?
I wouldn't call it an "issue", the system works and works very well. Some guys would just prefer an old school locker.

G

GuyOnABuffalo

I wouldn't call it an "issue", the system works and works very well. Some guys would just prefer an old school locker.
I see.. why would someone prefer that? What about the steering issues I’ve read about? There also seems to be some talk about transmission issues and something with shifting. And it seems they require a lot of suspension work.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Word is JTW has attempted to respond, but his account has apparently been neutered due to previous transgressions. As the founding member of the JTW Fan Club I'd like to apologize for you not getting to meet him on here. That said you could try to PM him or try joining the kawisxs.com forum to see if his account over there might not be restricted and solicit his input. If you ask him for KRX info he probably won't include his merman photo unless you ask him for it as well.

G

GuyOnABuffalo

Word is JTW has attempted to respond, but his account has apparently been neutered due to previous transgressions. As the founding member of the JTW Fan Club I'd like to apologize for you not getting to meet him on here. That said you could try to PM him or try joining the kawisxs.com forum to see if his account over there might not be restricted and solicit his input. If you ask him for KRX info he probably won't include his merman photo unless you ask him for it as well.
Thank you, but he seems to be inappropriate and as one member put it, a male reproductive organ.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you, but he seems to be inappropriate and as one member put it, a male reproductive organ.
Okay, but it is your loss. You're on a Honda site asking for info....the slant is going to lean Team Red. It's your money we will help you spend every last dime of it if you'll let us.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
After 25 years of snowmobiling, I don't care if I never see another CVT transmission, that left the 5 speed YXZ or the dual range, 6 speed Talon - an easy choice for me. With a geared trans, your throttle is connected directly to the tires, with a CVT, there's a lag, much like turbo lag. With a geared trans, you can upshift on the easy cruise sections without listening to the engine revving higher than necessary. Yamaha has been trying to make the 5 speed work since its introduction and haven't succeeded yet IMO. Just watch a few Youtube videos to see how poorly they do in technical riding.

The KRX is heavy, negating the few extra HP and the CVT doesn't help. The KRX is more gnarly competent from the factory including 35" tires. It's almost KOH ready out of the box (King of the Hammers).

The Pioneers are utility vehicles, less HP and suspension travel. The R-Max also has less travel than my Talon R (17" front, 20" rear). I've spent thousands bringing the Talon up to what I want and still have to get the shocks revalved. But it's perfect for me, no regrets whatsoever. I live and ride in the west so the wider R works here, the X is narrower for woods riding but the suspension is stiffer than the R and is a big complaint from the X guys.

advertisement
G

GuyOnABuffalo

After 25 years of snowmobiling, I don't care if I never see another CVT transmission, that left the 5 speed YXZ or the dual range, 6 speed Talon - an easy choice for me. With a geared trans, your throttle is connected directly to the tires, with a CVT, there's a lag, much like turbo lag. With a geared trans, you can upshift on the easy cruise sections without listening to the engine revving higher than necessary. Yamaha has been trying to make the 5 speed work since its introduction and haven't succeeded yet IMO. Just watch a few Youtube videos to see how poorly they do in technical riding.

The KRX is heavy, negating the few extra HP and the CVT doesn't help. The KRX is more gnarly competent from the factory including 35" tires. It's almost KOH ready out of the box (King of the Hammers).

The Pioneers are utility vehicles, less HP and suspension travel. The R-Max also has less travel than my Talon R (17" front, 20" rear). I've spent thousands bringing the Talon up to what I want and still have to get the shocks revalved. But it's perfect for me, no regrets whatsoever. I live and ride in the west so the wider R works here, the X is narrower for woods riding but the suspension is stiffer than the R and is a big complaint from the X guys.
Thank you! I keep hearing about these belts but it’s my understanding the krx is different? Is being KOH ready a good thing? Are the talons not of the same build standards?

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im gonna chime in here, if your looking for reliable sxs with low cost of ownership look towards honda, no they don't have all the fancy gadgets. As for the krx I dont hate the machine I've owned a few kawasaki and the green and black is a awesome looking machine. But the 2 guys I know that ran out and traded there Rex's for them are very disappointed. They spent most of last summer in the shop over heating or cvt came apart.

G

GuyOnABuffalo

Im gonna chime in here, if your looking for reliable sxs with low cost of ownership look towards honda, no they don't have all the fancy gadgets. As for the krx I dont hate the machine I've owned a few kawasaki and the green and black is a awesome looking machine. But the 2 guys I know that ran out and traded there Rex's for them are very disappointed. They spent most of last summer in the shop over heating or cvt came apart.
Oh no.. that seems uncharacteristic from the feedback and research I’ve done. But that’s why I’m here. However, it seems the Honda’s have just as many or more issues. This is all so confusing!

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Everyone is being Buffaloed here 🤣🤣🤣 my advice is stick with the Buffalo you ride. If you hit the trails on your ride only accessories you will need this time of year is a couple bales of hay 🤣🤣🤣

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can get online and probably find a 100 people that claim a dodge omni was the most dependable car ever made. Hondas are and always have been built for reliability first. yes sometimes u sacrifice the ride could be better but I also put 2300 miles last summer and all my control arm bushings are still good most of my friends with rzr and mavericks every 1000 miles ever bushing in the suspension is trashed. its a give and take its all in what u want.

bigshoe

bigshoe

Aug 17, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everyone is being Buffaloed here 🤣🤣🤣 my advice is stick with the Buffalo you ride. If you hit the trails on your ride only accessories you will need this time of year is a couple bales of hay 🤣🤣🤣
U think ? Lmao this guy raises and trains buffalo to do tricks. if he is i find it more entertaining to waste his time

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm out.....this guy's trolling. Claims he's done the research but on here asking a million questions but has yet to answer one himself. Save your breath. I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt but I'm done. Go play your games somewhere else.

advertisement