P1000m5 What did you add to/do with your Pioneer 1000 5 today?

R

rickoshea

i get to push around more snow today.the lake is frozen so i'm also going to head down to lake access #7 and bust through the mound of snow the plow truck left, so we can get out onto the lake.i normally just drive down from the back yard but this year all my docks are in the way.

Reactions: EMAW and Biteme
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was sorta close...thanks!

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Honda!!
Would it be fair to say most SXS drivers would use GMRS and would be the best choice for comms on group trips? I would like reliability. We had FRS hand helds and they suck unless you are in the same vehicle or close to it. I'm guessing it is worthwhile getting a fair quality vehicle mounted radio and a license to ensure good service and capability. I think I heard that "elksomeone" (don't recall the name) is the group expert and the best person to work thru.

Thanks again for your input!

This guy is great and is a sponsor here on our forum:

The GMRS (actually any 2-way with decent range) requires a license but the GMRS does not require a test like the HAM frequencies do.
If you go with this model you can add channels/frequencies later if you wish, this rig will get you way farther reach than dedicated GMRS specific radios like: Midland MXT400 40W GMRS Micro Mobile Radio

Now keep in-mind your radio system no matter how powerful or upper end it is...It's ONLY AS GOOD AS THE OTHER PEOPLES RADIO IN YOUR GROUP.
If they don't have the same or better system as you...you'll never hear them further away but they will always hear you LOL.

So my point is the 25 watt or higher rig is always better in my opinion especially of you're riding alone and might need help but if your friends don't have the higher power set-up you are going to be very frustrated very quickly. The first option I have a link to gives you the best of all options (except digital) Digital Mobile Radio Kit [RK-RDM] - Radio Kits - $423.00 : Rugged Radios: Headsets, Intercoms, 2-Way Racing Radios and Communication for UTV, Motorcycles, Offroad, Circle Track, Aviation, Racing, NASCAR, Police, and more...
which is a whole different subject but not too many people are going that route

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i get to push around more snow today.the lake is frozen so i'm also going to head down to lake access #7 and bust through the mound of snow the plow truck left, so we can get out onto the lake.i normally just drive down from the back yard but this year all my docks are in the way.
I really want snow so bad. I enjoy it. It's currently clear and 54 here in central Missouri.

Reactions: Biteme
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks again Honda!!
Your last sentence ( ..... but not too many people are going that route) kinda puts me into the mode of "I gotta study" and take the test for the Tech license. My plan is to attend the CO to Moab trip in the Fall so I'd like to have compatible comms by then. Not sure what folks in the PNW and Inland NW are using but it would be nice to have something that is a bit more universal if that's possible.

An insight will be appreciated.

Reactions: EMAW and Biteme
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Post 561 is what guys in PNW are using. Even Razr owners.
Not the simplest as it's also a ham radio as well as FRS/GRMS.

Last edited:
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks again Honda!!
Your last sentence ( ..... but not too many people are going that route) kinda puts me into the mode of "I gotta study" and take the test for the Tech license. My plan is to attend the CO to Moab trip in the Fall so I'd like to have compatible comms by then. Not sure what folks in the PNW and Inland NW are using but it would be nice to have something that is a bit more universal if that's possible.

An insight will be appreciated.

What I mean is that if you're going to do this; study & get all the licences (GMRS, FRS, HAM) then buy the best Digital/Analog model your budget will allow...But...digital is the hardest or most complicated to program yourself plus there are more steps to getting on the repeaters if you move up to that point (digital) and if you go the effort go get licensed then you may as well and should get on some repeaters it's a really neat hobby if you like to talk! (it increases your range X 4+) digital is the best overall performer and the most clear. Again though if your friends are not licensed for all of the above they can't legally talk to you on the same frequencies...so how much effort do you want to put into this?

The easiest route/solution is go with this model: 25W IP67 Waterproof Dual Band Mobile Radio with Basic Programming

Make sure you get his best no ground plane antenna option (get the grounded option for best performance but have it professionally installed or do a lot more research if you install yourself as that is another significant education).
If you go with this model and a no ground plane antenna, you can screw-up the install pretty bad (compared to a professional) and it will still work, you just lose performance & distance. But in fear of being redundant...if all your friends don't do the same as you (best radio & antenna) pro install, etc. you will be going through a lot of work, effort and money to do it right and legal to get really hap hazard performance within your group, but they will be able to hear you much farther away ;-)

I don't mean to make this confusing, but us HAM's like any profession like it done right... but there are a lot riders (most) that don't and it works just fine for a lot less money, time and effort (I didn't say that LOL).

There is a whole specific thread on here specific to radio communication, read through start at the newest & go backwards for more education & options of you have time. I'll see if I can find it and include it here.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Get a good radio, mentioned several posts above.
Read the rules. Spend 70 bucks for a FRS /GMRS license while you study for the Technician Low level HAM license.
Keep it simple. Ask a reputable vendor for assistance.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks again Honda!

I'm not radio use stupid but I'm not too smart with radio fix stuff. 50 years of flying get you alot of practice. When I flew commercial and a radio quit there was another radio to use and when you get on the ground you taxi over to the Maint hanger and tell the avionics guy "#2 VHF broke...fix it and I have another flight in an hour" and he'd put a new radio in by plug and play and they'd send the broken radio off to get it fixed. OR, you fly the next trip in a different plane. Never had a course in radio install or fix it.

Anyway, it looks like the TYT TH 8600 is a fine radio and I understand ground plane antenna but probably can't program squat. I bet smoke signals are not intuitive and take some learnin to get it right. If I buy the radio is there any online software I can download to program the radio? I'm guessing it's more complicated than doing the contacts list on your phone.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks again Honda!

I'm not radio use stupid but I'm not too smart with radio fix stuff. 50 years of flying get you alot of practice. When I flew commercial and a radio quit there was another radio to use and when you get on the ground you taxi over to the Maint hanger and tell the avionics guy "#2 VHF broke...fix it and I have another flight in an hour" and he'd put a new radio in by plug and play and they'd send the broken radio off to get it fixed. OR, you fly the next trip in a different plane. Never had a course in radio install or fix it.

Anyway, it looks like the TYT TH 8600 is a fine radio and I understand ground plane antenna but probably can't program squat. I bet smoke signals are not intuitive and take some learnin to get it right. If I buy the radio is there any online software I can download to program the radio? I'm guessing it's more complicated than doing the contacts list on your phone.

Oh I know you're sharp, probably smarter than most of us...or least many of us, ok me for sure lol.
Everything I've said was pretty much not about you but with whomever you ride with, if they don't do what you do then you've done an awful lot of work for little result. Now if you are like me and it appears you are you won't mind doing all the programming for them and helping with the lic stuff.
If you just do GMRS product linked above you can get like a group event lic. and call it a day, to get everyone lic which you should for GMRS it's a simple application & fee, not test.

Send me a private message please.

Last edited:
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now here is that education thing...how do we private message on this site?

mj1angier

mj1angier

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2020
NC
Pete got a new tag for Christmas:

IMG 1760

R

rickoshea

i plowed more snow yesterday,then went down to the public lake access where it's really shallow and very tentatively drove out onto the ice for about 10 meters.no cracking and it's about 11.5 cm (4") thick.people are skating and ice fishing but nobody is brave enough to drive on it yet.it's about -10 this morning so it should thicken up quick over the next couple weeks.my next door neighbour just put tracks on his brand new maverick but says he won't go out on it till he sees me out there first. 🤣. spent yesterday ripping snowmobile trails up at the lake down the road and above ours.beautiful sunny day and nobody else out there.2' of nice powder .burned thru 2.5 tanks of gas.it did the stall after putting in gear thing,and i shut it off for a few mins. while i stuffed a sammy down the gullet and it worked after that.maybe an overheated sub trans? who knows.had it in 4 lock/sport for 5 hours.cycled the key 3 times when i got home and so far,so good.

Last edited:
DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
i plowed more snow yesterday,then went down to the public lake access where it's really shallow and very tentatively drove out onto the ice for about 10 meters.no cracking and it's about 11.5 cm (4") thick.people are skating and ice fishing but nobody is brave enough to drive on it yet.it's about -10 this morning so it should thicken up quick over the next couple weeks.my next door neighbour just put tracks on his brand new maverick but says he won't go out on it till he sees me out there first. 🤣. spent yesterday ripping snowmobile trails up at the lake down the road and above ours.beautiful sunny day and nobody else out there.2' of nice powder .burned thru 2.5 tanks of gas.it did the stall after putting in gear thing,and i shut it off for a few mins. while i stuffed a sammy down the gullet and it worked after that.maybe an overheated sub trans? who knows.had it in 4 lock/sport for 5 hours.cycled the key 3 times when i got home and so far,so good.
You're braver than me. My state says 8 to 12 inches for a small car. 12 to 15 for a pickup. I usually wait until I see pickup trucks on the ice before I venture out on it.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, now if I could just learn how to use the dam thing outside of my wife on our talkies saying " can you hear me now".
Added a Dual band antenna but can't see much difference in FRS reception yet.

Flipping FCC just reduced the fee for a GMRS license to $35 bucks which is good, but charged me $70 bucks three weeks ago.. I should have waited until 2020won.

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!