P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Damn:eek: I hope you have video;)
Ive got pics and video of us riding in the water earlier in the day, but not of when the portal broke. I broke the passenger front, and drivers rear in a mudhole earlier in the day, got winched out, kept riding. A buddy of mine got high centered on a muddy trail so I ease in behind him and take my snatch rope off the back and put it from my front bumper to his rear bumper, gave it a few light bumps and pop, there goes the drivers front axle. Now I only got the passenger rear. Without the other 3 axles all the passenger rear wanted to do was spin and not move the machine, so I had someone start winching me backwards, i was standing outside my P5 as it was being winched backwards and the drivers front wheel started turning out to the side, I went to straighten the steering wheel and realized it wasnt the steering wheel that needed to be straightened, it was the portal hub output shaft that broke clean off. From the looks of the twisted splines sticking out of the bottom of them box, it was when I was in reverse trying to tug my friend out. I guess the tire came to a stop, but the portal hub wanted to keep going because of the gear reduction in the box and it wrung it off. Im sure it was weakened though from previous riding. I had to unbolt my brake caliper to let it turn loose of the rotor so I could throw the wheel and tire in the bed. They winched me back into a clearing where my buddy backed his little P5 up to the front of mine and with the help of a few people we made the front of mine light enough to where we could strap it to the rear rack of his P5. He towed me back to the truck and trailer while I set in the passenger seat to put weight on the passenger side and make the drivers side light. It was a sight to see. Lol

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ive got pics and video of us riding in the water earlier in the day, but not of when the portal broke. I broke the passenger front, and drivers rear in a mudhole earlier in the day, got winched out, kept riding. A buddy of mine got high centered on a muddy trail so I ease in behind him and take my snatch rope off the back and put it from my front bumper to his rear bumper, gave it a few light bumps and pop, there goes the drivers front axle. Now I only got the passenger rear. Without the other 3 axles all the passenger rear wanted to do was spin and not move the machine, so I had someone start winching me backwards, i was standing outside my P5 as it was being winched backwards and the drivers front wheel started turning out to the side, I went to straighten the steering wheel and realized it wasnt the steering wheel that needed to be straightened, it was the portal hub output shaft that broke clean off. From the looks of the twisted splines sticking out of the bottom of them box, it was when I was in reverse trying to tug my friend out. I guess the tire came to a stop, but the portal hub wanted to keep going because of the gear reduction in the box and it wrung it off. Im sure it was weakened though from previous riding. I had to unbolt my brake caliper to let it turn loose of the rotor so I could throw the wheel and tire in the bed. They winched me back into a clearing where my buddy backed his little P5 up to the front of mine and with the help of a few people we made the front of mine light enough to where we could strap it to the rear rack of his P5. He towed me back to the truck and trailer while I set in the passenger seat to put weight on the passenger side and make the drivers side light. It was a sight to see. Lol
Dang, rock it ‘til the wheels fall off. :cool:

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Holy crap. What the heck happened. That’s not good at all. Hope you got a picture of where it was. Good luck on the fix.
Caper
It was a hectic time when the portal broke and I was scrambling doing other stuff. I didnt even think to take a pic, but I wish I had. Im glad it basically broke how it did, and not when I was driving with a little bit of speed. If I tucked a 35" tire under that P5 at speed I might not be here. Ever since Ive had those portals everytime I ride I think about balljoints breaking, and the aftermath of that happening, Ive never thought about the output shaft breaking. Who thinks of that? I will for now on though.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Wow. I’m not usually speechless.
Caper

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Holy Horse Cock Batman!! We need a video
It was one of these types of days lol....

20190202 123353 20190202 111155 20190202 110214

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: Bastardchild
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Spent the morning clearing blown-down trees of off of the BC Back-Country Horsemen trail system outside of Nanaimo, British Columbia.
20190203 101400

There were about 15 machines from several ORV clubs helping the equestrians (mainly females). Had a bad windstorm here in December. Blew down alot of timber.

20190203 135417

The P500 crawled through most of the single track horse trails. I had an tray on the rack and carried four saws, gas, tackle etc. Good times.

advertisement
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Spent the morning clearing blown-down trees of off of the BC Back-Country Horsemen trail system outside of Nanaimo, British Columbia.View attachment 106218

There were about 15 machines from several ORV clubs helping the equestrians (mainly females). Had a bad windstorm here in December. Blew down alot of timber.

View attachment 106217

The P500 crawled through most of the single track horse trails. I had an tray on the rack and carried four saws, gas, tackle etc. Good times.
We have a bunch of female equestrians that ride our trails in Cape Breton. They punch holes in the mud. She asked permission first. Haha. From one coast to the other.
Caper

Reactions: AlR
Normanator22

Normanator22

Lifetime Member
Dec 30, 2018
GA
Ownership

1. 500
Looks really good. Where do all the plugs come from that plug into the power steering. It would be a sham to get.mud on that pretty bike. Haha. Kidding. Take pictures.
Caper

The superatv Ez Steer power steering is a very simple “plug and play” kit. The plugs are coming from the steering motor (has the EzSteer sticker in picture), and you just plug them into the computer as seen.

One additional wire (white wire left of motor in picture) taps into your 12v outlet wire which gives it “key on” power. Lastly you have battery pos/neg and thats it!

We went riding all day yesterday at the hunt club and let me tell you... absolutely no buyers remorse! In those tight trails it is worth it having that power steering.

7529A407 0F63 4621 9F73 95A5EBF6F2AF

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
The superatv Ez Steer power steering is a very simple “plug and play” kit. The plugs are coming from the steering motor (has the EzSteer sticker in picture), and you just plug them into the computer as seen.

One additional wire (white wire left of motor in picture) taps into your 12v outlet wire which gives it “key on” power. Lastly you have battery pos/neg and thats it!

We went riding all day yesterday at the hunt club and let me tell you... absolutely no buyers remorse! In those tight trails it is worth it having that power steering.

View attachment 106285
Thanks Normanator. That’s awesome. Just one more thing to make life easier. Now I definitely have to get one. Locker I guess comes first. What was the approximate price on the power steering. I gotta save my money.
Caper

Normanator22

Normanator22

Lifetime Member
Dec 30, 2018
GA
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Normanator. That’s awesome. Just one more thing to make life easier. Now I definitely have to get one. Locker I guess comes first. What was the approximate price on the power steering. I gotta save my money.
Caper

They run around $599. Call and talk to them. They are great with customer service.

Reactions: Caper
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!