P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
HIGH-CENTERED IN SNOW. WINCHED OUT
Took the Dirt Pig out today, had a 35 km track to a World War 2 plane crash site. I'd been there years ago. In any event, 10 kms before the end, we were bombing down a slight grade, in 4WD, and started pushing snow. The snow was hard, but not hard enough and we dropped down and high-centered. Doesn't look like it but we were on top of about 2.5 feet of snow. It had several soft and hard layers to it. Brutal.
20170226 Gordon Main 12
First tried digging out. Not a chance.
20170226 Gordon Main 10
Started winching with the SuperWinch 3500 Synthetic. First time using the winch and it performed very well. Paid for itself today! We had to reach out a long way to find a tree to pull on. Luckily I brought 150 feet of 1/4" poly. I doubled that up 'cuz I was worried it would snap.
20170226 Gordon Main 15
Did 6 winch setups, right out to the end of the spool. I figure we winched the P5 about 110 meters before I was able to gain sufficient traction. The winch was barely warm to the touch (air temp was about 3C). The digging and winching lasted about an hour. Had lunch after the 'winch training exercise' and blasted a couple hundred rounds of .22.
20170226 Gordon Main 39
Gotta love it.

So I made several mistakes; going 4WD, fast, down-hill, into deepening snow. I really liked the synthetic winch line. It was so nice to handle vs wire. To get straighter pulls I used that 150' of 1/4" poly. It sure stretches when you crank the winch. Next time I'll have some 5/16" marine braid along.
Al

Last edited:
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
up grade she now takes off harder about 300-500rpms higher

Nice. Sorry for the dumb question.... just read your thread about the clutch kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
HIGH-CENTERED IN SNOW. WINCHED OUT
Took the Dirt Pig out today, had a 35 km track to a World War 2 plane crash site. I'd been there years ago. In any event, 10 kms before the end, we were bombing down a slight grade, in 4WD, and started pushing snow. The snow was hard, but not hard enough and we dropped down and high-centered. Doesn't look like it but we were on top of about 2.5 feet of snow. It had several soft and hard layers to it. Brutal.
View attachment 36935
First tried digging out. Not a chance.
View attachment 36936
Started winching with the SuperWinch 3500 Synthetic. First time using the winch and it performed very well. Paid for itself today! We had to reach out a long way to find a tree to pull on. Luckily I brought 150 feet of 1/4" poly. I doubled that up 'cuz I was worried it would snap.
View attachment 36937
Did 6 winch setups, right out to the end of the spool. I figure we winched the P5 about 110 meters before I was able to gain sufficient traction. The winch was barely warm to the touch (air temp was about 3C). The digging and winching lasted about an hour. Had lunch after the 'winch training exercise' and blasted a couple hundred rounds of .22.
View attachment 36932
Gotta love it.

So I made several mistakes; going 4WD, fast, down-hill, into deepening snow. I really liked the synthetic winch line. It was so nice to handle vs wire. To get straighter pulls I used that 150' of 1/4" poly. It sure stretches when you crank the winch. Next time I'll have some 5/16" marine braid along.
Al

Lol...It was worth it for the trigger time wasn't it? ;)

advertisement
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Shore land'r snowmobile trailer. Its 7'6" by 11'8" tilts and has ramps, can see ramp brackets in picture. It will fit on it sideways as well and I can haul it and my Honda rancher the same time.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Looks good, I wanted a yellow one but found a good deal on a 2016 blue with 200 miles. Where at in Southern Louisiana? Just survived Mardi Gras in New Orleans and then a great day of red fishing in Lafitte. Visit the Gonzales and Laplace area about once a month for work.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Is Daisy the name of the dog or your P5 ;)

Al
Daisy is the Beagle.
Looks good, I wanted a yellow one but found a good deal on a 2016 blue with 200 miles. Where at in Southern Louisiana? Just survived Mardi Gras in New Orleans and then a great day of red fishing in Lafitte. Visit the Gonzales and Laplace area about once a month for work.

I'm from Crowley Louisiana, small town near Lafayette. Wife is from Eunice.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Me? I have 26" x 9" on the front and 11" on the rear ITP Mudlites on the stock rims. No spacers. Fits with 1/2" to spare between the wheel wells of the GMC 2500 (with the plastic bed liner).
Al
Is it tippy with the taller tires and no spacers?

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Is it tippy with the taller tires and no spacers?
Well... I put those tires on the day I got the P5. I've put 300 miles on it in 2 months. I have no reference to say that the rig is tippy vs stock tires vs spacers etc. I've bombed around on the trails, wound my way through trees, gone up and down steep grades, and run it abit on side slopes. I haven't felt that I was ever at risk of tipping over. Now I haven't been going 30 mph and turned it hard cuz that's something I wouldn't do. I did do a 180 on an icy logging road at 25 mph. As we were doing the sideways slide I knew that if the tires hit any traction that we'd have been on our side but that circumstance was unusual.

All that to say that for the trails and riding that I do, I simply haven't felt the need to widen the machine and lose the ability to load it easily in my GMC 2500 or squeeze through tight spots.

Get the tires you want and if it feels good, run with it. If the pucker factor goes too high, buy some spacers. And don't let any teenaged boys drive it. Then it'll be on its side for sure!
Al

Nascar

Nascar

Feb 20, 2017
Cariboo, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Me? I have 26" x 9" on the front and 11" on the rear ITP Mudlites on the stock rims. No spacers. Fits with 1/2" to spare between the wheel wells of the GMC 2500 (with the plastic bed liner).
Al
I’m thinking of doing the same thing, taking my ITP Mudlites off my Rubicon and putting on the stock steel sxs rims. May I ask the total width of front and back now?

Reactions: Dp5hunter
advertisement