What is your Tow Vehicle!

• Total voters
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya that doesn't make sense, Americans are slowly embracing diesels like the rest of the world does. From what I heard about 5-6 years ago when first talk of Nissan/Cummins, Toyota was supposed to be doing the same thing but now they're getting behind the curve. However they are still the most dependable overall so they sell themselves

One of the challenges that manufactures have had to deal with on bring diesels here that they sell elsewhere is that the US has a more stringent NOX standard than elsewhere. Often they have tighter emission standards the the US except for NOX.

I worked in Sweden and Finland for a while and had a Volvo diesel and loved it. It got 55 - 60 MPG. I looked into importing it to the US and it was a no go. If I even shipped it here, the EPA required that the car be confiscated and crushed.

Reactions: GPR1500SC and sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the challenges that manufactures have had to deal with on bring diesels here that they sell elsewhere is that the US has a more stringent NOX standard than elsewhere. Often they have tighter emission standards the the US except for NOX.

I worked in Sweden and Finland for a while and had a Volvo diesel and loved it. It got 55 - 60 MPG. I looked into importing it to the US and it was a no go. If I even shipped it here, the EPA required that the car be confiscated and crushed.

Trust us we're with the government.
Government over reach. Trying to keep us safe, BS!

https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik...-with-seizing-these-peoples-ol-1672381729/amp

The one in Mobile was a customer of a friend who has a 4x4 accessory shop in Mobile.

Reactions: sharp
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Had to share this.
FB IMG 1497183942131

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Trust us we're with the government.
Government over reach. Trying to keep us safe, BS!

https://www.google.com/amp/jalopnik...-with-seizing-these-peoples-ol-1672381729/amp

The one in Mobile was a customer of a friend who has a 4x4 accessory shop in Mobile.

Average cetane in diesel fuel in the US is 42 while in Europe the cetane levels in their diesel is 51.
Higher cetane = better fuel economy and better running engines.
Of course the 50-60+ MPG vehicles of Europe..... can not be imported into the US.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Reactions: WillB
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Toyota teased us a few years ago with an HD powered by a Hino (Toyota owns them - super reliable) Diesel but has not said whether they would market it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I see, I'll watch for that in the meantime. I've been thoroughly disappointed with my Chevrolet HD gasser.

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Are those available in an HD with diesel by chance?

Yup. But not in the US of A. Rest of the world gets a 4 door cab 79 series Land Cruiser with two different versions of a V8 turbo diesel - one single turbo'd and one twin turbo'd.

There is a company in CO that is trying to legally import these ....

Reactions: moparornocar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yup. But not in the US of A. Rest of the world gets a 4 door cab 79 series Land Cruiser with two different versions of a V8 turbo diesel - one single turbo'd and one twin turbo'd.

There is a company in CO that is trying to legally import these ....

Wow, isn't that odd. Any idea why that is?

elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I don't think that particular vehicle would sell well in the US.

With the 80 series Land Cruisers, TOyota USA moved the US market LC upscale. The 70 series was a introduced in the mid 80s as a replacement for the 40 series which was available as a pickup or ute.

My guess is that in masse, the current 70 series would be in the neighborhood of $60-70k and would not compete very well with the luxury 3/4 ton trucks from the big 3.

Look at Toyota Australia or Toyota in Dubai and you will see some interior shots ... very utilitarian and very tough. But if I had the ability, I'd have one - yes I am a Land Cruiser fanboy

IMG 1365

This is my '87 BJ74 with 113,000 kms on the odometer.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I don't think that particular vehicle would sell well in the US.

With the 80 series Land Cruisers, TOyota USA moved the US market LC upscale. The 70 series was a introduced in the mid 80s as a replacement for the 40 series which was available as a pickup or ute.

My guess is that in masse, the current 70 series would be in the neighborhood of $60-70k and would not compete very well with the luxury 3/4 ton trucks from the big 3.

Look at Toyota Australia or Toyota in Dubai and you will see some interior shots ... very utilitarian and very tough. But if I had the ability, I'd have one - yes I am a Land Cruiser fanboy

View attachment 52127

This is my '87 BJ74 with 113,000 kms on the odometer.

That's really cool. I always liked those too. Guess I'll just go for a new 3500 (non dually) Chevrolet with a duramax, in the mean time.

Last edited:
Reactions: nbomar
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!