Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I agree. If gm doesn't really change the game this year they are out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya poor Chevy can't touch this, 30K trailer 9 miles of 7% grade exact same truck and trim as mine. Also the Adaptive cruise control is the bomb in light to moderate traffic.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
An amazing luxury tow vehicle for a UTV or trailer loads weighing up to 6500lbs (for those LONG road trips). The Lexus GX 460. I can get up to 16 mpg towing (depending on the terrain). What makes it so special is the comfort, luxury, and features it has. The vehicle has an aluminum V8 making 300+ hp w/6 speed trans. It is a true luxury off-road vehicle with a full ladder frame and a low-speed transfer case. The luxury features are what makes the LONG road trips so comfortable. The unique features that make this truck a great tow vehicle are features that were designed for off/on-road driving. Features like; an auto leveling air bag suspension, KDSS (Kinetic Dynamic Susp. Sys.), AVS (Adaptive Variable Susp.), Torsen Locking/limited-Slip Differentials, crawl control and a wide view monitoring system.

The auto leveling air bag susp. has the ability to raise or lower the vehicle 4 inches. It also has an auto leveling setting that will level the trailer even when the vehicle is at max payload. It even has an air dryer designed into the system to eliminate moisture in the air that causes erosion. The KDSS system uses hydraulic actuators that automatically force the HD front and rear sway bars to help eliminate sway/plowing while cornering on-road. It also will completely disconnect the sway bars and force extended wheel articulation for off-road driving. The AVS system uses electronically controlled shocks to damper the suspension. It has three settings, comfort-normal-sport (works on the fly). Not much to say about the Torsen diffs other than they are fantastic. The crawl control system is absolutely amazing. It uses a computer to manage the engine and brakes to maintain five constant preset speeds (1 to 5 mph) traveling up/down over rugged terrain. The system does this in a way that is humanly impossible. It will tap a single wheel’s brakes to keep the vehicle straight no matter how harsh the terrain is. It also can dig the vehicle out of sand when the vehicle has dug itself down to the frame rails (absolutely amazing). The wide view monitoring system option adds cameras around the vehicle to monitor the terrain at low speeds, You literally can see 180 degrees from the front camera. You can stop the vehicle’s front bumper at a garage’s door opening and see down both ways of a street, without even leaving the garage.

I would spend way too much time going over the GX’s luxury features and it would be boring. The fact is one of the MOST important features of a great tow vehicle is comfort and the ability to travel long distances safely. The GX is whisper quiet and plush yet super capable. What makes it even better is when you disconnect the trailer, you have the ultimate family vehicle that’s almost unstoppable in severe weather. The only negative is the price. But if you look at the other real truck SUV’s (not crossovers), the price is easier to acceptView attachment 45662 .
So.... What Lexus dealership do you work for?

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Ya poor Chevy can't touch this, 30K trailer 9 miles of 7% grade exact same truck and trim as mine. Also the Adaptive cruise control is the bomb in light to moderate traffic.

Meh, if I ever actually needed to tow 30k regularly it wouldn't be with a pickup truck. It would be a freightliner sport chassis. Does look like a pretty snazzy rig though, Ford did right with the '17 redesign.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This is the way ll go next.

Image 1

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My old Dodge pulled 50k across the Cascades. Wasnt fun but I got er done:)
IMG 0343

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Looks like a pile of s*** rolled up in a leather burrito.

Bet that pile of sh** will smoke the other two in 1/4 mile!
Watched an episode of Top Gear a couple years ago that pitted all three against each other at different tasks. GM owned the speed and hill climb. Ford owned the torque and towing. Dodge won the other one, forget what it was, braking or something.
A half ton truck of any brand has it's limitations.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Watched an episode of Top Gear a couple years ago that pitted all three against each other at different tasks. GM owned the speed and hill climb. Ford owned the torque and towing. Dodge won the other one, forget what it was, braking or something.
That's probably half ton comp though? If it was where was the American Toyota or the Cummins Nissan in the tests? Especially in projected reliably.
Like I've said before I want Dodge running gear with Chev transmission and ride, Ford interior Toyota dependability and some Nissan features and looks. All the trucks offer a little of something.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's probably half ton comp though? If it was where was the American Toyota or the Cummins Nissan in the tests? Especially in projected reliably.
Like I've said before I want Dodge running gear with Chev transmission and ride, Ford interior Toyota dependability and some Nissan features and looks. All the trucks offer a little of something.

Like voting for a politician, which one is gonna screw you over the least.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

5.0 and EBoost beat my 5.3 every time.

But If I really cared about ¼ mile I'd be driving something besides a truck. I want reliability, ride, comfort, customer service, and power. First four Chevy has none of, last one is almost sort of adequate.

Apparently Chevy has a LOT of limitations.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
One of my friends just got a chevy company truck. We've been fords only until this last one. He was in a 2013 ecoboost and now in a 2016 5.3 Chevy. Both trucks are crew cab and 4x4. This guy(like all of us) tow, haul and put about 40-50 k miles per year. He called me today fussing about the rough ride and lack of power. They did this because of price, the GM products are just so much cheaper to buy. That's bad news for me. I'm still in a personal truck collecting mileage but they are pushing to put us all in company vehicles.

I actually tried to tell him that any of the newer trucks are awesome. Any new truck is SO much better than trucks 6-7 years ago. Mileage, comfort, features, towing, hauling have all improved. He will change again in two years anyway.

I will say that when I drive another half ton truck, it's hard not to notice some of the differences. For example, 2017 ecoboost provides 470 lb'ft of torque at such a low RPM, then a lighter weight body, and a 10 speed tranny. For the half ton market, my vote goes to ford. For the 3/4 and 1 ton market, I say just pick one they're all great.

Speaking of aluminum bodies, my fathers truck is aluminum and mine is steel. Both of ours were out in a hail storm right before the Takeover, mine has about 20 dents, his has zero. Plus the braking, handling and acceleration is noticeably better. I hope my next truck will be a ford if it's half ton.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only other truck I've ever owned was this 6.2 Detroit Diesel 5/4 TON 1986 M1008 CUCV. She was BA, but she was slow, uncomfortable tended to overheat but could drive up a tree and was fun restoring. I saw her recently and the guy I sold her to. She wasn't looking as good as when I had her. Back in my more famous bean eating days, I had to warn everyone away.......
IMG 0102
IMG 3675

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
One of my friends just got a chevy company truck. We've been fords only until this last one. He was in a 2013 ecoboost and now in a 2016 5.3 Chevy. Both trucks are crew cab and 4x4. This guy(like all of us) tow, haul and put about 40-50 k miles per year. He called me today fussing about the rough ride and lack of power. They did this because of price, the GM products are just so much cheaper to buy. That's bad news for me. I'm still in a personal truck collecting mileage but they are pushing to put us all in company vehicles.

I actually tried to tell him that any of the newer trucks are awesome. Any new truck is SO much better than trucks 6-7 years ago. Mileage, comfort, features, towing, hauling have all improved. He will change again in two years anyway.

I will say that when I drive another half ton truck, it's hard not to notice some of the differences. For example, 2017 ecoboost provides 470 lb'ft of torque at such a low RPM, then a lighter weight body, and a 10 speed tranny. For the half ton market, my vote goes to ford. For the 3/4 and 1 ton market, I say just pick one they're all great.

Speaking of aluminum bodies, my fathers truck is aluminum and mine is steel. Both of ours were out in a hail storm right before the Takeover, mine has about 20 dents, his has zero. Plus the braking, handling and acceleration is noticeably better. I hope my next truck will be a ford if it's half ton.
Hey don't forget the Titan XD with its Cummins and Allison Trans. It's a pretty bad ass 1/2 ton imo. I've driven a couple and they are damn nice. Heavy ass truck but do well

Last edited:
advertisement