What kind of HP can the Talon be built to that's reliable?

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
A package of 12-1 go fast goodies was waiting for me when I got home from work today. 😁 I guess I'll be the guinea pig and try the MCB Performance piston kit. It's going to be a while before these go in, I still have a few more parts to aquire before committing to tearing the engine down so I'll report back with an update later...

View attachment 278969

I've never heard of Wossner pistons before but they are supposed to be German and not some China garbage so we shall see...
View attachment 278970
The finish looks great!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
If possible see if you can get a weight comparison with those vs stock. What's the stock comp ratio?
I can weigh the new piston with my wifes food scale without rings, pins or clips (I'm not unwrapping those yet) and let you know what I come up with.

It's going to be a while before I get to weight a stock one, you might want to have someone else with one out weight theirs.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The finish looks great!
I'll take some better pictures when I weigh one, but you are right, the finish is outstanding and honestly waaay better than i thought it was going to be at that price point. As an added bonus the skirts are coated and it came with all new genuine Honda top end gaskets. If these things are round and the wrist pin height is correct 🤣 seems to me like these kits are a bargin.

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'll take some better pictures when I weigh one, but you are right, the finish is outstanding and honestly waaay better than i thought it was going to be at that price point. As an added bonus the skirts are coated and it came with all new genuine Honda top end gaskets. If these things are round and the wrist pin height is correct 🤣 seems to me like these kits are a bargin.
I just checked a bare stock piston it comes in at 291g a loaded stock piston is 422g

Reactions: CID and Lil_Steve
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just checked a bare stock piston it comes in at 291g a loaded stock piston is 422g
20210616 231545

20210616 231603
20210616 231635

Reactions: CID and Lil_Steve
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not saying my wifes food scale is engine builder accurate but this is cool.......

20210616 233441

Piston weighted the same as the first time, so I know the scale is at least consistent. Crazy that it's lighter overall than a stock setup and there has to be at least one or two grams worth of plastic bag and labels added to it.

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Not saying my wifes food scale is engine builder accurate but this is cool.......

View attachment 279032

Piston weighted the same as the first time, so I know the scale is at least consistent. Crazy that it's lighter overall than a stock setup and there has to be at least one or two grams worth of plastic bag and labels added to it.
It has a lighter wrist pin I'm could have lighter ring package as well.

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4

View attachment 279032

Thats light!! But the piston looks overwhelming strong.

S

SL1kr

Jan 16, 2021
Benton AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
A package of 12-1 go fast goodies was waiting for me when I got home from work today. 😁 I guess I'll be the guinea pig and try the MCB Performance piston kit. It's going to be a while before these go in, I still have a few more parts to aquire before committing to tearing the engine down so I'll report back with an update later...

View attachment 278969

I've never heard of Wossner pistons before but they are supposed to be German and not some China garbage so we shall see...
View attachment 278970
I've been looking at that same kit for mine also thanks for posting the pictures because it is always better when someone else has real world experience and they see everything first hand rather than trying to rely on the company for their advertising and hope that they will be as good as they look on the ad kinda like a hamburger at burger King they look real on their commercials but it never looks like that when I buy it, are you going to be doing anything to your head or camshaft when you put the pistons in?

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693 and CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've been looking at that same kit for mine also thanks for posting the pictures because it is always better when someone else has real world experience and they see everything first hand rather than trying to rely on the company for their advertising and hope that they will be as good as they look on the ad kinda like a hamburger at burger King they look real on their commercials but it never looks like that when I buy it, are you going to be doing anything to your head or camshaft when you put the pistons in?
I'm having a motor built this winter using those pistons along with a bunch of other goodies that should be an N/A monster. I'm not giving away any details for obvious reasons but once it's built and On track kicking ass someone may chime in and explain more about it.

Reactions: GBell
S

SL1kr

Jan 16, 2021
Benton AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm having a motor built this winter using those pistons along with a bunch of other goodies that should be an N/A monster. I'm not giving away any details for obvious reasons but once it's built and On track kicking ass someone may chime in and explain more about it.
Cool bro I think after seeing those pistons you got & said that they looked like quality pieces I'm gonna order those same ones & just go with the Hess head and camshaft package. The only thing I am not sure about is the intake and injectors, I haven't found much info on how well they flow or what needs to be done in that regard, not trying to get in your secret sauce but do you know of any place that I could look for information in that area? TIA

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Hess package comes with a tune that works fine with his kit. No need for bigger injectors. At this point nobody makes a better intake/airbox setup than stock. Custom designed is about the only thing you can do right now.

Reactions: SL1kr
S

SL1kr

Jan 16, 2021
Benton AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The Hess package comes with a tune that works fine with his kit. No need for bigger injectors
Thanks, I was thinking that it would be okay to keep the stock injectors, I have a PV3 that's not been used so I guess I can buy just a program from Hess and they can sent it via email, that's how I used to get Aftermarket Assassins to change the tunes for my razor and just download it to the PV3, I've got a new complete full HMF exhaust that has never been put on already sitting here for it too, hopefully that package will be okay to make it good enough for 35" tires and be able to pull them decent without the need for portals and gear reduction. I'd like to get another set of wheels and tires that are around 30-32" for places like wind rock and more of a rock and trail tire than the 35" BKT that came on mine.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good luck with that HMF exhaust, I'm starting to regret that decision but have no other choice due to the lightness of the full system.......

20210717 074557

20210717 081328
20210717 081353

Exhaust is 6 race weekends and a couple practice days old. Motor runs great and there are no issues with it or my tune so I don't know why it did that this weekend. If it was messed up you would think both cans would be blown out and discolored seeing as how it has a X pipe in the header connecting both pipes together.

Reactions: SL1kr
S

SL1kr

Jan 16, 2021
Benton AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Good luck with that HMF exhaust, I'm starting to regret that decision but have no other choice due to the lightness of the full system.......

View attachment 284218
View attachment 284219View attachment 284220

Exhaust is 6 race weekends and a couple practice days old. Motor runs great and there are no issues with it or my tune so I don't know why it did that this weekend. If it was messed up you would think both cans would be blown out and discolored seeing as how it has a X pipe in the header connecting both pipes together.
Yeah I haven't got mine on yet but the weight & I really liked the looks of the dual mufflers coming straight out the back the way they do is the reason I went that way but I can't say anything about the quality yet but they have held up great sitting in the box they came in my floor in the garage but it could change drastically after they are actually on the machine.

S

SL1kr

Jan 16, 2021
Benton AR
Ownership

1. Other Brand

View attachment 284218
View attachment 284219View attachment 284220

Did you change the tips on your cans because mine came with those & I don't remember seeing that I had a option for a different tip when I ordered mine the only option I seen was the color or full titanium or I might've missed it.

IMG 20210718 165935

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!