What kind of HP can the Talon be built to that's reliable?

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Definitely have to get rid of the cast pistons and drop the comp to 9:1 or 9.5:1 for them to be safe. Then throw more boost at them

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
So.... back to the question.

What kind of HP can the Talon be built to that's reliable?​

165hp at best?
180hp
200hp
more?

What I'm hearing is even with a turbo'd 165hp there are problems?
What problems?

HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What problems?
Any problems, just wanted to know capabilities since I'm considering one in the future.

As an example the stock long block ACE 900 can handle about 200-250 rwhp without any internal changes known or issues but clutch work is needed.

I was wanting to know what people experienced with the Talon 999 Unicam or maybe it hasn't been truly tried and tested other than racing applications. From what I'm understanding, one thing out of the gate is the piston skirts are weak.

Last edited:
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Yes, when you put a turbo on anything, you will need to put in forged pistons, before or after the cast ones break Cast pistons will not hold up to a turbo charger. Not in any machine for very long. I doubt the ace long block will hold up to 200 hp without lower compression forged pistons.

HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yes, when you put a turbo on anything, you will need to put in forged pistons, before or after the cast ones break Cast pistons will not hold up to a turbo charger. Not in any machine for very long. I doubt the ace long block will hold up to 200 hp without lower compression forged pistons.
The ROTAX ACE 900 now can come factory @ 195hp, I run 197-200hp, tuned, exhaust, catch can and clutch upgrade in the X3. There are people in our group that are running 220hp-250hp with tune/injector/turbo upgrades bone stock block and very reliable. Then we have those pushing 280hp-300hp running bigger turbo, manifold, upgraded head studs. Getting higher, yes is where aftermarket internals are a must.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Sorry I didn’t know. I know the can ams are fast, but I would sure hate to flip one. The roll cages collapse! Plus you have to reinforce everything. My turbo’d Honda may be a little bit heavier, but at least I prolly won’t die if I roll it.

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Any problems, just wanted to know capabilities since I'm considering one in the future.

As an example the stock long block ACE 900 can handle about 200-250 rwhp without any internal changes known or issues but clutch work is needed.

I was wanting to know what people experienced with the Talon 999 Unicam or maybe it hasn't been truly tried and tested other than racing applications. From what I'm understanding, one thing out of the gate is the piston skirts are weak.
I will say there's lots of room for improvement. This motor is a great platform for what's to come!!

20210611 161340 20210611 161317

HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sorry I didn’t know. I know the can ams are fast, but I would sure hate to flip one. The roll cages collapse! Plus you have to reinforce everything. My turbo’d Honda may be a little bit heavier, but at least I prolly won’t die if I roll it.
Cages are easily beefed up, intrusion bars etc. plus most use a fixed 4-5point harness. Double shear in some areas.
We have been debating a Talon because we like Honda so much, but a few years ago there were no Honda's that could compare.
Now with the Talon on the market I was wondering what was going on with aftermarket HP and how it's handling it.

I'm not a popo fan....we carry fire extinguishers just in case we see one on fire. 🤠 🔥;)

Popo fire

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Believe me I'd like to see them take the lead!
Lets see how Chad from Dr. Powersports finishes this weekend in Black Rock Arkansas! I belive his Talon is going to make a statement this weekend.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Theres a couple of people out there getting more out of the talon’s with turbos. I couldn’t wait, so I got the way over priced Jackson kit. I also swapped out the cast pistons for 9:1 forged Wiseco pistons. I’ve been in contact with PPEI about a tune for the PV3 tuner that will get more than 8 pounds of boost. He is testing a talon with the Jackson turbo and slip on muff now. Once he gets it perfected, I’m in! I have also eliminated the Jackson air filter that sucks dust. I replaced it with a Donaldson system That uses $25 filters. I think the state of California has Jackson by the balls because he won’t build a tune that uses an aftermarket pipe, and won’t put more than 8 pounds of boost to it. I understand the 8 pounds of boost with cast pistons, but for those that upgrade the pistons, give us more!

H

HondaTech

Lets see how Chad from Dr. Powersports finishes this weekend in Black Rock Arkansas! I belive his Talon is going to make a statement this weekend.

Ive heard this much as well.
Hes doing some interesting stuff.

Reactions: GBell
HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What is the event called?

Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is the build plan for my N/A class motor over the winter...

-MCB Performance 12-1 forged pistons
-Kibble White +1mm valves
-Kibble White valves spring kit
-FTZ Performance ported head
-Daniel Crower camshaft? (still undecided)
-Hess Motorsports head studs
-Hess Motorsports intake
-Injector Dynamics injectors and fuel rail
-VP Race Fuel
-Custom tuning by PPEI

Last edited:
Reactions: GBell
GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
So..... What do you have going on there? 🤔😎

Also, are you the same Bell that made that header I saw in one of the videos DR Powersports posted? 🤔
There's going to be a variety of things going on with this engine.

Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
There's going to be a variety of things going on with this engine.
Would you happen to know if that DC cam is any good and if there are better alternatives to that one for an N/A race engine built with the above parts? You can PM me if you want to keep it private.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!