What kind of HP can the Talon be built to that's reliable?

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Who ever said you could change pistons in 2 hours is full of s***!

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
M

Moto4

Mar 18, 2019
Vermont
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Look at the page 5 Nauti 1826 he had a piston failure also. Just saying it wouldn't hurt for you to look it might save you a lot of work later.
You guys are scaring me. I have a 2019 1000X with 1500 Vermont trail miles, 750 of which were with the Jackson Turbo. Around here you can't hold it wide open for very long so I;m hoping my pistons don't see as much stress as Racers and dune riders. Even though I have some mechanical ability and installed the turbo myself I don't relish the thought of changing the pistons. Waiting to see how many more reports we see of broken pistons. Would like to ride it through this season and save the tear down for a winter project. I know, probably not the wisest decision. I have the extended warranty. I wonder if Honda will cover replacing the pistons if they are damaged.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if the YXZ's come with forged pistons? I know they beefed up the rods in the 2019's so owners could add a Turbo without tearing the motor down. I wonder if they beefed up the pistons.

Reactions: GBell and CID
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Unless it’s turbo’d it has cast pistons

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I still call BS. I’ve been working with turbo’d engines for a long time, some sort of wild ass hard anodizing is not going to save the piston from breaking or seizing up. I guess if you’re dumb enough to pay the price, go for it!

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Why don’t you chrome plate it to? You should probably add an extra strong piston return spring as well! Bling Bling

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
You guys are scaring me. I have a 2019 1000X with 1500 Vermont trail miles, 750 of which were with the Jackson Turbo. Around here you can't hold it wide open for very long so I;m hoping my pistons don't see as much stress as Racers and dune riders. Even though I have some mechanical ability and installed the turbo myself I don't relish the thought of changing the pistons. Waiting to see how many more reports we see of broken pistons. Would like to ride it through this season and save the tear down for a winter project. I know, probably not the wisest decision. I have the extended warranty. I wonder if Honda will cover replacing the pistons if they are damaged.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know if the YXZ's come with forged pistons? I know they beefed up the rods in the 2019's so owners could add a Turbo without tearing the motor down. I wonder if they beefed up the pistons.
It's really not that big of a job to change pistons. Can everyone change them in 3 hrs probably not. But you could do it in a day with no trouble. The shelf pistons wasn't to bad as far as price goes.

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I still call BS. I’ve been working with turbo’d engines for a long time, some sort of wild ass hard anodizing is not going to save the piston from breaking or seizing up. I guess if you’re dumb enough to pay the price, go for it!
I'm referencing wear not the fix for poor machine work or ill tuning! I have had the same hard anodized diamond pistons in a winning drag week engine for 3 years yes it has been taken apart each year and rods changed as well as rings. The pistons have been checked for size all 3 years and show 0 wear explain to me again how hard anodizing does nothing!!

• Wow
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
If that’s what blows your skirt up, go for it! I will stick with the old standard wiseco forged pistons. No bling, but will work just fine for years and years as long as it’s tuned correctly. I would rather spend that wasted money on beer!

• Haha
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm referencing wear not the fix for poor machine work or ill tuning! I have had the same hard anodized diamond pistons in a winning drag week engine for 3 years yes it has been taken apart each year and rods changed as well as rings. The pistons have been checked for size all 3 years and show 0 wear explain to me again how hard anodizing does nothing!!

I'm with you on this. Guy I work with runs an outlaw fuel altered with an 11,000hp top fuel engine in it and those pistons are hard anodized. They wouldn't bother doing the coating if it did nothing. It's not like the pistons stay in the motor very long.

I also have a piston out of John Force's funny car sitting on my desk at work that was given to me by John back when I lived in RI and worked for Tasca Ford. Funny thing...... That piston is hard anodized as well.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Last time I checked the Talon doesn’t have 11,000 HP, and doesn’t run on nitro methane, or alcohol.

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm with you on this. Guy I work with runs an outlaw fuel altered with an 11,000hp top fuel engine in it and those pistons are hard anodized. They wouldn't bother doing the coating if it did nothing. It's not like the pistons stay in the motor very long.

I also have a piston out of John Force's funny car sitting on my desk at work that was given to me by John back when I lived in RI and worked for Tasca Ford. Funny thing...... That piston is hard anodized as well.
I know the hard anodizing is a huge advancement that was made for the use in extreme pressure conditions. It cut wear down almost 100% and created a thermal barrier as well. I would like to try it in my talon application just to see how well it works in these conditions. Based off of the dragweek engine results I think it will be worth it.

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693 and CID
GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I know the hard anodizing is a huge advancement that was made for the use in extreme pressure conditions. It cut wear down almost 100% and created a thermal barrier as well. I would like to try it in my talon application just to see how well it works in these conditions. Based off of the dragweek engine results I think it will be worth it.
I think the water was just a little to deep for his knowledge base!! Lmao

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
That’s like buying a Ferrari to drive in school zones

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
That’s like buying a Ferrari to drive in school zones
I can't be the only one here that only drives his Ferrari in school zones and only school zones...:D

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Adam_20_Adam
HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So.... back to the question.

What kind of HP can the Talon be built to that's reliable?​

165hp at best?
180hp
200hp
more?

What I'm hearing is even with a turbo'd 165hp there are problems?

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4

165hp at best?
180hp
200hp
more?

With a good set of pistons correct fasteners & the right tuning it will run at 200 reliably!!!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

165hp at best?
180hp
200hp
more?

No one knows the answer to that question because no one has "reliably" (and consistently) done anything more than a stock 104 HP. Until someone can get a good 5,000 to 10,000 miles on a build, the "reliability" question can only be answered as follows...

104 HP is the most you can "reliably" expect to get out of a Talon engine until someone proves otherwise.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!