What kind of HP can the Talon be built to that's reliable?

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
My talon fallows X3 all over the dunes with zero issues. Just not drag racing up the big ones.
My turbo’d Talon with Elka suspension stays right with my bro-in-laws X3 everywhere. He use to toy with me, now he has to stay on his A game!

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
If you have any questions or need any part numbers don't hesitate to ask!View attachment 272194
I can’t imagine breaking pistons in less than 100 miles. Do you drive it like you stole it? I wonder if they set up the bore with the correct clearance? I turbo’d mine about 500 miles ago and haven’t had any noticeable issues. Of course I can’t see inside the engine to be sure. Do you always let it warn up to at least 2 bars before riding? They say that’s crucial with a turbo’d car. What brand and compression ratio of forged pistons are available? I’m curious what pistons will be the best when someone makes a tune to get more out of the Jackson kit as well? I know you prolly don’t have Any wear on the rod bearings, but do they have replaceable upper and lower rod bearings?

Reactions: Smitty335
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I can’t imagine breaking pistons in less than 100 miles. Do you drive it like you stole it? I wonder if they set up the bore with the correct clearance? I turbo’d mine about 500 miles ago and haven’t had any noticeable issues. Of course I can’t see inside the engine to be sure. Do you always let it warn up to at least 2 bars before riding? They say that’s crucial with a turbo’d car. What brand and compression ratio of forged pistons are available? I’m curious what pistons will be the best when someone makes a tune to get more out of the Jackson kit as well? I know you prolly don’t have Any wear on the rod bearings, but do they have replaceable upper and lower rod bearings?

JE, CP and MCB Performance all make and sell forged pistons for the Talon in a bunch of different compression ratios to meet everyone's needs turbo'd or N/A.

Rods have a floating wrist pin on the piston end and non roller style bearings on the crank end just like automotive style rods. Crank doesn't have to be pressed apart to change the rods or bearings.

Cast pistons were never meant for turbo applications and that is probably one of the deciding factors with the amount of boost Jackson was able to build into their kit. Just enough more power to make the price seem worth it to the consumer, but not enough to break anything in the motor so it could be a dealer installed option that didn't void the warranty.

Your pistons may not be cracked right now but I can assure you that at some point in the not so distant future one or both will. Replace them yourself with forged pistons from any of the above companies and your motor will be much happier for a long time.

Reactions: Smitty335 and GBell
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
My turbo’d Talon with Elka suspension stays right with my bro-in-laws X3 everywhere. He use to toy with me, now he has to stay on his A game!

If your bro in law spent the same amount of money that you spent on shocks and a turbo kit, and put it into his X3's motor he could make 300 horsepower easily with the right components. Comparing a modified machine to stock is apples to oranges.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
If your bro in law spent the same amount of money that you spent on shocks and a turbo kit, and put it into his X3's motor he could make 300 horsepower easily with the right components. Comparing a modified machine to stock is apples to oranges.
Yeah, but that x3 won’t go in the mountains where I go. They are too wide. My Talon will do both

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
For argument sake though the I think 195hp X3 is closer 30k to start out with....

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Your right, he spent $30k, and with Elka shocks and the way over priced Jackson turbo kit, we are at the same $$

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I want to answer your questions with clarity. We ride the dunes 32"paddle tires take some power but drive it like I stole it isn't what I do at all. Im very picky about my talon everyone that knows me tells me I'm beyond anal. It doesn't move unless its at operating temp. The dunes we ride takes about 15 minutes to get to from camp and the speed limit is 25 mph they watch everyones speed very close so it never gets ran hard cold. As for the piston to wall clearance It was within specks. I went with CP 10.5 pistons. Yes the rods have 2 bearing halves. Also want you to know my motor made NO odd piston noise. If I was you I would at least pull the pan and look. I found the broken skirt inside the oil pump pick up tube this could have starved the motor of oil. Take the bolts out of the pan tap on the side of the pan with a plastic mallet to break it loose from the gasket. Mine didn't tear maybe yours won't either. I will guarantee your piston is at least cracked.

Reactions: CID
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Saying that your sure mine are cracked is a guess at best. That’s odd that no one else has reported this problem. I know forged pistons are the way to go, and if Honda knew that Jackson was making a turbo kit, they would have upgraded to forged pistons. Casting have problems all the time when cooling. I wonder if you just got a bad casted piston?

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Saying that your sure mine are cracked is a guess at best. That’s odd that no one else has reported this problem. I know forged pistons are the way to go, and if Honda knew that Jackson was making a turbo kit, they would have upgraded to forged pistons. Casting have problems all the time when cooling. I wonder if you just got a bad casted piston?
Look at the page 5 Nauti 1826 he had a piston failure also. Just saying it wouldn't hurt for you to look it might save you a lot of work later.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
advertisement

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
It wasn't like the Jackson kit caught them by surprise. They basically rolled it out as "factory endorsed", so to speak, along with the Talon. Frankly, to not have equipped the engine with forged pistons, at the very least, is pretty lame, IMHO. The cost difference at the OEM level would be minuscule.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I agree! Honda never gives you everything the first year, otherwise they don’t have nothing new for the next years.

• Haha
HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah, but that x3 won’t go in the mountains where I go. They are too wide. My Talon will do both
What's the width of that Talon, suspension travel and HP?

X3's comes in 64" and 72" width with 20" and 24" of suspension travel. 120hp, 172hp and 195hp versions

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
You can make the talon any width you want, and add as much HP as you want. The main differences between the Honda and Can Am are, the Honda starts and runs all the time, and doesn’t require a “gusset kit” to strengthen all of their weak points. When they call it a kit, you know there are a lot of gussets. Their roll cage is one of the weakest out of all of them. I agree, the Can Am has a lot of HP and great suspension, but for tight narrow trails in the mountains, the X3 is just too big and long. If all I was doing was going to the dunes,yeah, I would have spent $30k and then another thousand or 2 to make it safe and strong.

HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You can make the talon any width you want, and add as much HP as you want. The main differences between the Honda and Can Am are, the Honda starts and runs all the time, and doesn’t require a “gusset kit” to strengthen all of their weak points. When they call it a kit, you know there are a lot of gussets. Their roll cage is one of the weakest out of all of them. I agree, the Can Am has a lot of HP and great suspension, but for tight narrow trails in the mountains, the X3 is just too big and long. If all I was doing was going to the dunes,yeah, I would have spent $30k and then another thousand or 2 to make it safe and strong.
Yes you can make about anything what you want it with $$. It sounds like there's some problems adding additional HP to the Talon. That's what this thread is about.
I'm referring to stock and bolt on parts. Agreed, Can Am has some single shear issues and weak cage, but easily upgraded.
Don't take me wrong, I love Honda and have since my first motorcycle in 1972.
If all I was going to do was tight mostly slow trail riding I would go Honda too!
That's why we have the P700 over a Can Am for that and utility and we love it!

Last edited:
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Go with the 10.5 compression Pistons! Cp won't recommend it because its not there turbo ring location I understand that the 9.5 piston has the ring package moved down. My thoughts are this a forged piston is way stronger then a .060 thick cast piston skirt all day ling! The CP pistons I bought was thicker by .020 in the skirt area! If your patient you can order the pistons with coated skirts which I recommend and you can get a ceramic coating done on the top of the piston I recommend that as well. I'm going to try the off the shelf pistons I will let you know How it goes.
The coatings are all just bling except for the skirt

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!