What kind of HP can the Talon be built to that's reliable?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am not wanting to discourage anyone from buying a talon this is my second one. I'm just wanting to help people understand that when they go to a turbo they will need to 1st change the pistons to forged units 2nd change the air filter to the Donaldson 3rd weld the lower turbo mount or it will break a header 4th keep an eye on the plugs. I am a honda guy and have been since the 70S

I'm also going to ARP head studs for more clamping force. Before you call arp & ask for the talon stud kit to be told they don't have a kit for the talon just call Glen Hess I got the last set he had but he might have more on order!

Just do the things mentioned and it will be good! Also make sure it has the latest firmware
Stock pistons are 10:1 but CP only offers 9.5:1, 10.5:1 or 11.5:1 and Wiseco only offers 9.0:1 and 10.5:1. Is there anything that needs to be compensated for due to the compression ratio difference?

A different compression ratio might require some tuning changes. If you go down in CR, you might be able to increase boost and/or timing and/or need to decrease fuel. If you go up in CR, you will most likely need to decrease boost and/or timing and/or need to increase fuel.

In either case, I think the Jackson tune will be a little "off".

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
whats the thought on these.

dish is 9:1
dome is 11:1
i used these in a build years ago. any one here care to share thoughts on them?

H

HondaTech

I know what you mean nobody is talking about the piston issue or broken header issue thats why I'm posting what I am this stuff is a fact no BS.

We've had both of these issues with our race car. The pistons we found after the season ended. Luckily the skirt got spit into the oil tank.

Reactions: GBell
M

MDFMac

Aug 23, 2020
upstate ny
Ownership

1. Talon X
unless you can tune your unit. stick with stock compression ratio i have 9to1 in mine and it is a bit off. pretty sure its timing that is the prob. i added fuel and took away fuel to see all the ranges but cant get the pop when shifting to go away with fuel and i cant adjust timing yet...

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Stock pistons are 10:1 but CP only offers 9.5:1, 10.5:1 or 11.5:1 and Wiseco only offers 9.0:1 and 10.5:1. Is there anything that needs to be compensated for due to the compression ratio difference?

A different compression ratio might require some tuning changes. If you go down in CR, you might be able to increase boost and/or timing and/or need to decrease fuel. If you go up in CR, you will most likely need to decrease boost and/or timing and/or need to increase fuel.

In either case, I think the Jackson tune will be a little "off".
Go with the 10.5 compression Pistons! Cp won't recommend it because its not there turbo ring location I understand that the 9.5 piston has the ring package moved down. My thoughts are this a forged piston is way stronger then a .060 thick cast piston skirt all day ling! The CP pistons I bought was thicker by .020 in the skirt area! If your patient you can order the pistons with coated skirts which I recommend and you can get a ceramic coating done on the top of the piston I recommend that as well. I'm going to try the off the shelf pistons I will let you know How it goes.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Not sure if keep the JR tuning with the 10.5:1 the tunes are already lean. That’s would only make it worse. Where the 9.5:1 would be marginally safer…

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Not sure if keep the JR tuning with the 10.5:1 the tunes are already lean. That’s would only make it worse. Where the 9.5:1 would be marginally safer…
I think you guys are nuts, let start from square 1, can your stock suspension take what the stock HP puts out? Probably not, you need better suspension that far exceeds those limitations if your going to do HP upgrades. To each they're own! Been there done that, NOT! I was kicking A$$ with suspension over HP years ago!

Reactions: SLOWPOKE693
GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I think you guys are nuts, let start from square 1, can your stock suspension take what the stock HP puts out? Probably not, you need better suspension that far exceeds those limitations if your going to do HP upgrades. To each they're own! Been there done that, NOT! I was kicking A$$ with suspension over HP years ago!
Have you spent anytime in the dunes?

Reactions: lee and 1HasBeen
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm doing that right now at the short course races. My suspension/car is 100% dialed in but my motor is bone stock. I have no problem running up front with the big motor guys in my class. :cool:

Reactions: WagginTail
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Have you spent anytime in the dunes?
Did you think buying a non turbo 4 seat Talon X to play in the dunes was a wise decision? If I was buying a SxS to play in dunes I'd be driving a turbo Can-Am, not trying to turn a Talon into one...

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Did you think buying a non turbo 4 seat Talon X to play in the dunes was a wise decision? If I was buying a SxS to play in dunes I'd be driving a turbo Can-Am, not trying to turn a Talon into one...
Well opinions are what they are. You like what you like and I like what I like either way I sure as hell wasn't looking for advise from you as how to spend my money!!

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Well opinions are what they are. You like what you like and I like what I like either way I sure as hell wasn't looking for advise from you as how to spend my money!!

H

HondaTech

The Talon suspension works great in fast paced stuff. Its only bad for slow trail rides and jumping.

Reactions: toddvdh and GBell
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The Talon suspension works great in fast paced stuff. Its only bad for slow trail rides and jumping.
Then what's all the talk about scraping the original frame design and coming out with a new one?

Reactions: toddvdh
GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I find it Kind of strange that a well known supporting member of the this honda SXS club is telling me I waisted my money on a live valve 4 seater X followed up with i should have bought a canam 4 seater I think your in the wrong group partner. And any time you want to bring down your NA powered suspension masterpiece 2 seater and try to hang with my big 4 seat canam wannabe I would be more then happy to hand your ass to you all day long!!

Reactions: CID and toddvdh
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I find it Kind of strange that a well known supporting member of the this honda SXS club is telling me I waisted my money on a live valve 4 seater X followed up with i should have bought a canam 4 seater I think your in the wrong group partner. And any time you want to bring down your NA powered suspension masterpiece 2 seater and try to hang with my big 4 seat canam wannabe I would be more then happy to hand your ass to you all day long!!
Same.... Bring the 4 seat turbo wonder to Texplex and I'll hand you yours with my stock motor.

See how that works? 🤣

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Same.... Bring the 4 seat turbo wonder to Texplex and I'll hand you yours with my stock motor.

See how that works? 🤣
Your just a typical dumb ass who spouts off crap just to tell people how good you think you are! Your looking @ the picture of me and my family jumping a 4 seater in the dunes and thinking I know nothing about racing a 2 seater on a MX track. You never know who your talking to on the other end BIG GUY!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!