What kind of HP can the Talon be built to that's reliable?

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Mixing a turbo and cast pistons is just asking for trouble. I wonder how many Jackson kits are out there running around with busted stock pistons that the owners are not aware of?

Was yours noisy or have excessive blow by? What made you dig into the engine in the first place?
All of them guaranteed!!

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
All of them guaranteed!!
No noise at all! It was pushing coolant into the reservoir and not pulling it back into the radiator. So I had a good idea I had a head gasket issue.
20210417 235559
20210417 184603

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Could one scope the bottom of the pistons from the oil drain bolts?

HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think the transmission will be absolutely fine. May need clutches at some point. I run 32" paddles and it works great! I love the quality of the Talon I just think a turbo kit especially for what it costs should come with pistons.
What's the HP at the rear wheel?

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Could one scope the bottom of the pistons from the oil drain bolts?
Yes but but if the skirt was still attached it will be hard to find the cracks I'm going to save you the trouble if yours has a turbo it will have broken pistons! The skirt is only .060 thick
What's the HP at the rear wheel?
Never had it on rollers.

• Wow
Reactions: CID
HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yes but but if the skirt was still attached it will be hard to find the cracks I'm going to save you the trouble if yours has a turbo it will have broken pistons! The skirt is only .060 thick

Never had it on rollers.
Is it stock? w/Turbo?

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Are the head gaskets reusable? Anything else to replace if I tear into mine? Or just piston and rings. 400$ isn’t bad.
what about oil pan gasket?

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Are the head gaskets reusable? Anything else to replace if I tear into mine? Or just piston and rings. 400$ isn’t bad.
My oil pan gasket didn't tear just bump the pan with a dead blow hammer on the side it will pop loose. I did order a pan gasket just incase. I found the broken piece of the skirt inside the pick up tube.

GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm going to say yes if the gasket was perfect. I know they say to not use copper coat on mls gaskets but I have and it works just fine.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

Never had it on rollers.
This actually is very disappointing to hear your thoughts on this. I have been looking at some Turboed R's right now and felt like with all the turbo kits out there, and I at least have not heard of many issues hardly at all, that there would be more failures if this was definitely a problem. Not saying your not right just trying to think it through. @HondaTech boss had gone through most of a race season on that setup and to my knowledge it was a stock motor. They had a failure in a 24hr race but its expected to have problems usually in that type of environment. 🤔

Reactions: GBell
GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
This actually is very disappointing to hear your thoughts on this. I have been looking at some Turboed R's right now and felt like with all the turbo kits out there, and I at least have not heard of many issues hardly at all, that there would be more failures if this was definitely a problem. Not saying your not right just trying to think it through. @HondaTech boss had gone through most of a race season on that setup and to my knowledge it was a stock motor. They had a failure in a 24hr race but its expected to have problems usually in that type of environment. 🤔
I am not wanting to discourage anyone from buying a talon this is my second one. I'm just wanting to help people understand that when they go to a turbo they will need to 1st change the pistons to forged units 2nd change the air filter to the Donaldson 3rd weld the lower turbo mount or it will break a header 4th keep an eye on the plugs. I am a honda guy and have been since the 70S

Reactions: GPR1500SC and CID
GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I know what you mean nobody is talking about the piston issue or broken header issue thats why I'm posting what I am this stuff is a fact no BS.

Reactions: CID and 1HasBeen
GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm also going to ARP head studs for more clamping force. Before you call arp & ask for the talon stud kit to be told they don't have a kit for the talon just call Glen Hess I got the last set he had but he might have more on order!

Reactions: CID

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I got some flak early on for saying Honda won't make headway in the serious performance market until they offer a proper, OEM, factory built turbo. Here we are. Wake up Honda.

Reactions: GPR1500SC and GBell
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I am not wanting to discourage anyone from buying a talon this is my second one. I'm just wanting to help people understand that when they go to a turbo they will need to 1st change the pistons to forged units 2nd change the air filter to the Donaldson 3rd weld the lower turbo mount or it will break a header 4th keep an eye on the plugs. I am a honda guy and have been since the 70S
Yeah this would be my 2nd on also. I was gonna keep one NA and one Turboed.

Reactions: GBell and Isaiah
Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
So will swapping pistons and keep g everything else normal jackson like tunes and what not be ok?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!