BOX1

What kind of HP can the Talon be built to that's reliable?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you change the tips on your cans because mine came with those & I don't remember seeing that I had a option for a different tip when I ordered mine the only option I seen was the color or full titanium or I might've missed it.

View attachment 284222
Mine was brushed finish and had those tips on it also. One fell/broke off last race and I took the one off of the good can before I raced this weekend.

Reactions: Smitty335 and SL1kr
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
HMF has always been the bottom of the barrel weekend warrior exhaust. Cheap for a reason.
I wish FMF or Yoshimura would come up with something!! I'm not an HMF fan either but their system is very light for being true dual exhaust and tucks nicely under the back of my car out of harms way.

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

I wish FMF or Yoshimura would come up with something!! I'm not an HMF fan either but their system is very light for being true dual exhaust and tucks nicely under the back of my car out of harms way.

Yoshimura only ever made utv stuff for the old Teryx under the Dragonfire name.

I figured its a money thing.

HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
J

Jhall728

Jan 17, 2021
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Talon X
So.... back to the question.

What kind of HP can the Talon be built to that's reliable?​

165hp at best?
180hp
200hp
more?

What I'm hearing is even with a turbo'd 165hp there are problems?
From everything i have seen, a totally stock NA talon with the hess head work and cam package is pushing around 135-140 WHP reliably. There is a 205 WHP turbo talon floating around but this car does have forged pistons, clutch seems to be holding up. but.... There is little info around for complete builds/reliability. Seems like there is plenty of people and companies pushing the limits and testing parts. From posts i have seen id say for true reliability a stock clutch is good for 165 WHP, this is from race teams posting little info on FB. 165 WHP isnt anything crazy, no packard level drag car but still more WHP then any factory OEM at this time.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
From everything i have seen, a totally stock NA talon with the hess head work and cam package is pushing around 135-140 WHP reliably. There is a 205 WHP turbo talon floating around but this car does have forged pistons, clutch seems to be holding up. but.... There is little info around for complete builds/reliability. Seems like there is plenty of people and companies pushing the limits and testing parts. From posts i have seen id say for true reliability a stock clutch is good for 165 WHP, this is from race teams posting little info on FB. 165 WHP isnt anything crazy, no packard level drag car but still more WHP then any factory OEM at this time.
Where did you get those numbers for the Hess kit? I know several Honda guys running their stuff, including a Hess sponsored driver and they are nowhere near the 135-140hp mark. My buddies car that has additional work done to his engine along with the Hess kit only makes 119hp to the wheels.

And the turbo Talons pushing 200hp are not using stock clutches or DCT tunes. Stock clutches don't hold up to much more than 120hp.

Last edited:
J

Jhall728

Jan 17, 2021
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. Talon X
Where did you get those numbers for the Hess kit? I know several Honda guys running their stuff, including a Hess sponsored driver and they are nowhere near the 135-140hp mark. My buddies car that has additional work done to his engine along with the Hess kit only makes 119hp to the wheels.

And the turbo Talons pushing 200hp are not using stock clutches or DCT tunes. Stock clutches don't hold up to much more than 120hp.
Just a guesstimate HP number comparing similar WHP cars. Prob should have said crank hp for the hess kit. 119 WHP is still HUGE over the roughly 80 WHP for a stock machine.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Doesn't matter anyway. Nobody is going to be getting anything from Can-Am for a long while. There factory in Mexico burned to the ground on Friday.
More miss information. why post things that are not factual? it was a storage lot. not production facility.

BRP preparing to resume vehicle production after fire at Mexico facility​

VALCOURT, Que. — BRP Inc. is preparing to resume production of side-by-side vehicles following a weekend fire in the storage yard of its Juarez 2 facility in Mexico.

The Quebec-based recreational products company says a fire Saturday in the facility's storage yard destroyed some units representing about six days of production.

All employees on site were evacuated and there are no reported injuries or damage to the facility.

BRP says it expects to receive clearance from authorities mid-week.

Chief executive Jose Boisjoli says he doesn't anticipate any material impact on its business from the disruption.

He says the incident will delay some side-by-side deliveries.

Cameron Doerksen of National Bank Financial says the loss of more than 1,000 vehicles will be covered by insurance.

Still, he said the production setback is another challenge faced by BRP and the powersports industry as a whole that has been gripped by semiconductor shortages over the past year.

"The Juarez 2 plant is expected to restart production by mid-week, but the loss of production units and the short plant shutdown will exacerbate the already challenging production conditions (upwards of 10 days of lost production at Juarez 2 due to this incident)," he wrote in a report.

He said retail dealers have been impacted by exceptionally low inventories that are less than a quarter of pre-pandemic levels.

BRP is building a new plant in Juarez that will open later this year to ramp up production and begin to alleviate low inventories.

"Although the fire is a clear setback for BRP, we do not believe it changes the fundamentals of the company, which remain strong supported by still solid demand for powersports products, low dealer inventories that will drive restocking demand through fiscal 2023, and our expectation that BRP will continue to gain market share through the introduction of new products."

Doerksen said the fire could impact the company's full-year guidance but BRP's wide range for normalized profits of between $7.75 and $8.50 per diluted share already reflected some uncertainty around production-related issues.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published July 19, 2021

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
A huge blaze was reported yesterday at an ATV warehouse in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. The fire sent plumes of smoke into the sky that could be seen across the border into Texas, triggering a flurry of emergency phone calls from concerned residents in the area. According to KVIA-TV in El Paso, around 1 p.m. CT an explosion of unknown origin created the giant fire, which burned a whole lot of ATVs to an unrecognizable crisp.

Fortunately, officials told Mexican news outlet El Diario, all of the workers inside the plant were safely evacuated. The same cannot be said for the vehicles, many of which were destroyed.

a close up of smoke
© KVIA ABC-7 YouTube screencap
In case you're not familiar with Ciudad Juárez (Juarez City), it's a busy city in the state of Chihuahua in Mexico. Commonly called Juárez, it lies on the Rio Grande river, south of El Paso. Combined, the El Paso-Juárez area has a population of over 2.7 million people, and business trade is often conducted between the two cities. The now-burned maquiladora (a foreign-owned manufacturing plant that processes or assembles raw components for export) gets parts from Can-Am and builds units before shipping them back to the U.S.

BRP, which owns Can-Am, owns two maquiladoras in Juarez and it appears it is one of these facilities that has been affected. ATV and UTV manufacturers, like auto manufacturers, are experiencing a big uptick in sales. Off-road vehicles like Can-Am's are particularly interesting to buyers right now, which means that showrooms are already low on inventory. This fire is certainly going to delay production and deliveries even more. As more details evolve on that front, we'll keep you posted.

Putting renters ‘back on the path to…AdWells Fargo Stories

Our own Caleb Jacobs tested a $22K Can-Am Commander Max XT recently, and he had a great time with it; it's difficult to imagine a whole warehouse full of them on fire and the total cost of that loss. Thankfully, everyone who was inside the warehouse appears to be safe.

Tell me where the article I read said it was a storage lot.....

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
:rolleyes: it also doesn't state a factory burnt to the ground. i can see where one could confuse the term warehouse with factory though.
i digress.

HPnMORE4J

HPnMORE4J

Mar 8, 2021
NW Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
From my understanding they lost about 6 days worth of production and now back up and running.
Maybe they had a bad batch to get rid of..... 🤣 🤠

Last edited:
Reactions: SL1kr
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
From my understanding they lost about 6 days worth of production and now back up and running.

I'm working in El Paso this week and have seen a few flat beds going down I-10 hauling BRP crates. I haven't seen any UTVs on the trailers like I usually do, just Seadoo and ATV crates.

What's another 6 days of production lost when it takes 4 months to get a new one from a dealer anyway. 🤣

Reactions: HPnMORE4J
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4

Sold to insurance.

Reactions: SL1kr
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Its only some rumbling for now that I know of. We have a "Redline" coming out around September or October I think with "Sport and Multipurpose SXS" in the description.

John Doe (cough, cough @JACKAL would know more it seems)
Good things are coming. Soon young Jedi.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!