P500 What stereo, Why, Where and How Much?

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm looking for opinions on a decent quality Stereo system for the P5. I see many folks have them and music over the white noise of the engine seems like a good idea to me. Typically I don't listen to anything but my thoughts and my dog's whining while driving through the forest. Occasionally I like having tunes and maybe it'll drown out the drone of the engine or the Bluegrass of someone else's engine I'm so desperately trying to escape?.... I wonder what Bigfoot would like, is he a Metalhead or Deadhead? I see the ones mounted just under the hard roof. Is that to keep the water and mud off of them, or because there isn't room anywhere else? What happens when you need to pressure wash it, are they waterproof and maybe mud proof? Do the speakers come with the stereo? Plus I'm looking for the usual other reasons why you bought what you did and was it worth it or was is so carpy you had to get another, or are there any stereos out there I should avoid that suck turds through sweaters made of unwashed camel hair?
Thanks.

Last edited:
J

Jshell3

In general terms... There are some really good "ready made" systems that don't require much more than connecting 3 wires. Lab tested and tuned. $500 would get you more than enough.

What's the fun in that?
I thought I'd get it done better and cheaper by building a system... but, at best, I'd call it a tie.

One thing about the "ready mades" is that you can remove them as 1 piece should you sell or upgrade.
Now that mines built in, it stays (or goes) with the Pioneer.

Good luck.

Aim for wireless when available and mount high if you wanna hear more with less effort. (Plus, I do think it's safer for the equipment... maybe not ideal for riding steep hills - COG)

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
I'm interested in this as well. Looking forward to hearing some options as well. I know little to nothing about radio stuff.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm interested in this as well. Looking forward to hearing some options as well. I know little to nothing about radio stuff.
Me too, I'm like where's the on/off button and volume?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Used my old motorcycle system from Shark, waterproof speakers. Mounted speakers under hood for better bass. 600 watt but never need that much volume. around $100. The supplied brackets also can be mounted using the roll bar bolts above the door latches. Here's a link to mine, but check out their other models,
shark SHKAMP5800BT6800 600 watt Bluetooth motorcycle boat marine audio system w/ 3.5 speakers + wired / wireless remote+antenna . Used a double 12v power plug socket (Wally world) to mount the wired remote and zip tied it so I still have an open power socket. Mostly use the USB or SD card. Here's the original post. P500 - What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today? with a pic of the speakers mounted at the door latches.
PS, use their Make an Offer button or call to negotiate a lower price.

IMG 3739 View attachment 45930

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm looking for opinions on a decent quality Stereo system for the P5. I see many folks have them and music over the white noise of the engine seems like a good idea to me. Typically I don't listen to anything but my thoughts and my dog's whining while driving through the forest. Occasionally I like having tunes and maybe it'll drown out the drone of the engine or the Bluegrass of someone else's engine I'm so desperately trying to escape?.... I wonder what Bigfoot would like, is he a Metalhead or Deadhead? I see the ones mounted just under the hard roof. Is that to keep the water and mud off of them, or because there isn't room anywhere else? What happens when you need to pressure wash it, are they waterproof and maybe mud proof? Do the speakers come with the stereo? Plus I'm looking for the usual other reasons why you bought what you did and was it worth it or was is so carpy you had to get another, or are there any stereos out there I should avoid that suck turds through sweaters made of unwashed camel hair?
Thanks.

Okay, this is one area that I have a good bit of knowledge on. A lot depends on what quality of sound system you hope to achieve.
I have the SSV Works overhead system that does come with two 6" speakers mounted in it already. It also has two more powered channels to add two more speakers without the need of another amp. It also came with RCA's to hook up a subwoofer, not powered, just a signal, so you would need a powered sub or amp and sub. I put a powered tube sub in the toolbox but you could go with a shallow mount sub like @rocmar did. It's totally waterproof and has big buttons for gloves, IPOD or MP3 locks inside so it can't get wet. Also has a dome light. It is built specifically for the P5, fits in between the front and rear bars. Frees up some room but it was very expensive, like $600. Add on speakers and sub even more yet but it cranks.

Then there are the boom box type, MTX, Pro Armor, Wet Sounds, which are overhead sound bars that most mount to the front bar. They are waterproof as well. I didn't care for it encroaching on the headroom in the P5 but can't really say as I've never been in one that had it. Several guys on here run them and are satisfied with the sound. You can add on to them as well, depending on how far you want to take your sound system, sub, extra speakers, etc. Believe you would need another amp though.

You can also take the route of a simple bluetooth speaker or two mounted somewhere and use your phone to send it a signal. Some guys like that route just for the wireless simplicity and no hard wiring. Probably won't sound great but it is an option.

If I were doing it again though, I would go with the SSV receiver that goes in the dash. It's like 3" round and bluetooth. You will need to buy an amp or two and speakers and hard wire them in but IMO is the most versatile to build on. I think it's like $200 and then it just depends on what quality of components you want beyond that, amps and speakers and such. It wasn't available when I was shopping for mine but with that receiver you could stack amps, add speakers and subs until you ran out of room. Check out @Eltobgi Beast thread, he has the room to do what I wish I could.

Like I said, just depends on how far you want to go and quality of sound you're looking to achieve. A $69 battery operated boom box will give you tunes and you wouldn't have to wire anything, just strap it in. Comes down to personal preference but you usually get what you pay for. Hope this helps guys.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay, this is one area that I have a good bit of knowledge on. A lot depends on what quality of sound system you hope to achieve.
I have the SSV Works overhead system that does come with two 6" speakers mounted in it already. It also has two more powered channels to add two more speakers without the need of another amp. It also came with RCA's to hook up a subwoofer, not powered, just a signal, so you would need a powered sub or amp and sub. I put a powered tube sub in the toolbox but you could go with a shallow mount sub like @rocmar did. It's totally waterproof and has big buttons for gloves, IPOD or MP3 locks inside so it can't get wet. Also has a dome light. It is built specifically for the P5, fits in between the front and rear bars. Frees up some room but it was very expensive, like $600. Add on speakers and sub even more yet but it cranks.

Then there are the boom box type, MTX, Pro Armor, Wet Sounds, which are overhead sound bars that most mount to the front bar. They are waterproof as well. I didn't care for it encroaching on the headroom in the P5 but can't really say as I've never been in one that had it. Several guys on here run them and are satisfied with the sound. You can add on to them as well, depending on how far you want to take your sound system, sub, extra speakers, etc. Believe you would need another amp though.

You can also take the route of a simple bluetooth speaker or two mounted somewhere and use your phone to send it a signal. Some guys like that route just for the wireless simplicity and no hard wiring. Probably won't sound great but it is an option.

If I were doing it again though, I would go with the SSV receiver that goes in the dash. It's like 3" round and bluetooth. You will need to buy an amp or two and speakers and hard wire them in but IMO is the most versatile to build on. I think it's like $200 and then it just depends on what quality of components you want beyond that, amps and speakers and such. It wasn't available when I was shopping for mine but with that receiver you could stack amps, add speakers and subs until you ran out of room. Check out @Eltobgi Beast thread, he has the room to do what I wish I could.

Like I said, just depends on how far you want to go and quality of sound you're looking to achieve. A $69 battery operated boom box will give you tunes and you wouldn't have to wire anything, just strap it in. Comes down to personal preference but you usually get what you pay for. Hope this helps guys.
Very informative and thanks

Reactions: sharp and trigger
D

Deleted member 3748

I tried using my JBL Charge speakers. I have two... the original Charge and the Charge 3. Both are great speakers but just not enough volume to get over the engine. I currently have the Boss Audio ATV25B. I was disappointed with this purchase, however, I recently learned if we used my wife's Galaxy instead of my Lumia it gets a lot louder. Would I purchase it again??? Nope. I think I'd go with blue tooth wake tower speakers instead. They easily mount to the rollbar and are waterproof.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I made this for my 700, I went over head just to keep it up out of the way as my dogs like to have their feet on the dash some time while riding and I didn't want them messing with it. Its covered with fiberglass resin then bed liner and the speakers and stereo are marine grade so no worries while washing. I wouldn't pressure wash it, but I have hit it with the hose before.
20160722 143754 zps9ifbtfrh

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
20170209 101812

I also went overhead/ rear bar...& center amp
pro armor 4 speaker...sounded like a AM radio..
so added sound stream bass/amp...gave it..
some bottom end..was to enhance wat I had...
$500...not a thumper by no means...but I'm happy
With. It..
amp mounted with spacers..to allow air
flow...
alot to pick from...now..than when
I purchased. .

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Well said...
Totally agree

Reactions: sharp and trigger
N

Nipper

May 11, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mounted these up last night will try to take some pics tomorrow when im back. Mounted the reciever in a switch plate from @justin.beatty. Took the clamps off of the speakers and drilled out the holes so I could turn them 90 degrees. Mounted high on the middle crossbar of the cage. One pointed out on each respective side. Loud enough to hear on the paved road running wot, but not loud enough when full blast sitting still that it will kill your ears. Step away from the rig and they seem lounder. Bought these from past experince with Boss....not Kicker but dont come with the price either. The sound reall surprises me. Reciever puts out 60 watts x 4 channels so I wired to put 120 to each 200 watt speaker. Figure an average ready built system would run 500. I figure I figure i have 250 in these if you dont include the beer my buddy and i drank while installing. Really happy with them....i think if i went with a more powerful player or an amp the speakers would sound distorted....seems to be a good pairing and now i have 250 left to put towards a bumper... that being said, my experience with boss audio is from a homemade ice chest radio. Used to strap it to the back of the cage of a 2013 Teryx two seater and away we go. Still love that radio...cost 150 to build and had fun doing it. Dosent have to be fancy just has to suit you....7dc93a2a201f7400db286ae54d0777451077db6d7a2e5786cce9d6d7f34e6cfd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I made this for my 700, I went over head just to keep it up out of the way as my dogs like to have their feet on the dash some time while riding and I didn't want them messing with it. Its covered with fiberglass resin then bed liner and the speakers and stereo are marine grade so no worries while washing. I wouldn't pressure wash it, but I have hit it with the hose before.
View attachment 45994
Looks like a creature from Star Wars!
MomawNadon

Reactions: sharp and Jshell3
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Mounted these up last night will try to take some pics tomorrow when im back. Mounted the reciever in a switch plate from @justin.beatty. Took the clamps off of the speakers and drilled out the holes so I could turn them 90 degrees. Mounted high on the middle crossbar of the cage. One pointed out on each respective side. Loud enough to hear on the paved road running wot, but not loud enough when full blast sitting still that it will kill your ears. Step away from the rig and they seem lounder. Bought these from past experince with Boss....not Kicker but dont come with the price either. The sound reall surprises me. Reciever puts out 60 watts x 4 channels so I wired to put 120 to each 200 watt speaker. Figure an average ready built system would run 500. I figure I figure i have 250 in these if you dont include the beer my buddy and i drank while installing. Really happy with them....i think if i went with a more powerful player or an amp the speakers would sound distorted....seems to be a good pairing and now i have 250 left to put towards a bumper... that being said, my experience with boss audio is from a homemade ice chest radio. Used to strap it to the back of the cage of a 2013 Teryx two seater and away we go. Still love that radio...cost 150 to build and had fun doing it. Dosent have to be fancy just has to suit you....View attachment 45996View attachment 45997

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Your correct. .avg sound system...about 5 bills
....also stated to @trigger. .how mine sounds way
....better...40 ft away...the amp I got..which I believe
is the same for most..is fine tune it..at 3/4....volume
....good post

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Don't spray mine with water..it gets splashed..
but another perk..mounting up high...just wipe
down with damp cloth.....music on video...don't
Give my 5 Bennie, s ...alot of justice...

Reactions: trigger
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Or just get a good set of ear buds for the cell phone. LOL. Wish I still had the 6x9 Mindblower all-in-one amped speakers from my FJ40 in the 70s.

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Or just get a good set of ear buds for the cell phone. LOL. Wish I still had the 6x9 Mindblower all-in-one amped speakers from my FJ40 in the 70s.
HaHa....70's
8 Track......

Dean1K3

Dean1K3

May 24, 2017
Osteen Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks.
Try ProBox.com , they are pricey-but great quality.

Reactions: sharp and 100Acre
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Plus I'm looking for the usual other reasons why you bought what you did and was it worth it or was is so carpy you had to get another, or are there any stereos out there I should avoid that suck turds through sweaters made of unwashed camel hair?
Thanks.

Quite the imagination there, are you a prior Polaris owner?

Here is what I used in my P500, worked great weather proof just wash it like normal.

MTX 6 Speaker Universal Sound Bar | UTV | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!