P1000 What would you do?

M

Mtnhunter

Dec 30, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, first post here. First of all I need to say I love this forum. I have been reading and learning a ton. I wouldn’t have purchased my 2018 p1000-3 without reading many positive things on here. I bought it brand new at a dealer. I bought the extended warranty and bought the dealer maintenance package. Yes, I probably paid too much but I wanted the ease of being able to hop in and ride. when it breaks or needs service I call the dealer. I have always maintained my dirt bikes. I can rebuild forks,shocks, engine, the entire machine. I’m sure I could learn this one as well. I wanted to be lazy I guess.

Which brings me to my problem. I took it in to the dealer a month ago for the 100 mile service. It was easy. Dropped off and four hours later I picked it up. I put it away and didn’t touch it until two weeks later. When I first started it I smelled engine oil. Looked under and not a drop on the floor. So I took it riding. When I put it back inside I again smelled oil. Let it sit overnight but not drop of oil. Not being satisfied I took a look. I found the PCV hose not on the elbow. It had been spraying oil mist onto the plastic/rubber baffle that separates the bed and engine. I also found the spark plug wires just sitting in the holes. I had to press them about half an inch onto the spark plug to seat them properly. I am surprised I never felt a misfire. I have no doubt they checked my valves at least.

I was extremely mad at this point. I started checking EVERYTHING. I found the sub trans to be half a quart low. Luckily I have left over oil from my dirt bikes. Couldn’t see anything else that needed my attention.

So what would you do? I haven’t told my dealer. I know better than to make a call when I’m that mad. I have done that in the past and it creates friction. So I’m cooled off now. Problem is I don’t trust them but have an expensive service contract that isn’t refundable. Every time I take it in I’ll have to check everything. I may as well do it myself at that point.

WOT-Outdoors

WOT-Outdoors

Supporting Member
Mar 26, 2019
Rochester NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, first post here. First of all I need to say I love this forum. I have been reading and learning a ton. I wouldn’t have purchased my 2018 p1000-3 without reading many positive things on here. I bought it brand new at a dealer. I bought the extended warranty and bought the dealer maintenance package. Yes, I probably paid too much but I wanted the ease of being able to hop in and ride. when it breaks or needs service I call the dealer. I have always maintained my dirt bikes. I can rebuild forks,shocks, engine, the entire machine. I’m sure I could learn this one as well. I wanted to be lazy I guess.

Which brings me to my problem. I took it in to the dealer a month ago for the 100 mile service. It was easy. Dropped off and four hours later I picked it up. I put it away and didn’t touch it until two weeks later. When I first started it I smelled engine oil. Looked under and not a drop on the floor. So I took it riding. When I put it back inside I again smelled oil. Let it sit overnight but not drop of oil. Not being satisfied I took a look. I found the PCV hose not on the elbow. It had been spraying oil mist onto the plastic/rubber baffle that separates the bed and engine. I also found the spark plug wires just sitting in the holes. I had to press them about half an inch onto the spark plug to seat them properly. I am surprised I never felt a misfire. I have no doubt they checked my valves at least.

I was extremely mad at this point. I started checking EVERYTHING. I found the sub trans to be half a quart low. Luckily I have left over oil from my dirt bikes. Couldn’t see anything else that needed my attention.

So what would you do? I haven’t told my dealer. I know better than to make a call when I’m that mad. I have done that in the past and it creates friction. So I’m cooled off now. Problem is I don’t trust them but have an expensive service contract that isn’t refundable. Every time I take it in I’ll have to check everything. I may as well do it myself at that point.
I would contact the service manger and speak with him quick. It could have the set up kid. The young guy who doesn't know much or is forgetful. I've worked in shops every place has one. If anything he can speak with the tech who worked on your machine

I'm surprised you picked up your machine that day. Most dealers I Know of are always booked up a week or two.

Next time request one of there top techs and be willing to wait a few days before picking it up.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Reactions: TripleB
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Cooler heads are a much better idea. Now that you've calmed down, I would call and ask to go in and speak face to face with the service manager or dealership owner/manager directly in their office. Tell them exactly what you found and tell them your concerns about your experience and the money that you have spent.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

M

Mtnhunter

Dec 30, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would contact the service manger and speak with him quick. It could have the set up kid. The young guy who doesn't know much or is forgetful. I've worked in shops every place has one. If anything he can speak with the tech who worked on your machine

I'm surprised you picked up your machine that day. Most dealers I Know of are always booked up a week or two.

Next time request one of there top techs and be willing to wait a few days before picking it up.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
That’s a good idea. I am taking the pioneer to the rifle range this weekend. It gets old walking to and from the 1000 yard berm. I can swing by the dealer on my way home.

Hopefully they take me serious. I corrected the issues I found. The only proof I have is the slight oil film in that area and the rubber baffle is slightly deformed from the oil.

I was surprised by the quick turn around too. I did call them a week ahead, maybe that was why.

Reactions: Mopower58
dirtsquirter

dirtsquirter

Feb 17, 2019
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hope you get some satisfaction, but this scenario is a perfect example of why I try never to bring my machines back to the dealer. It's been 5 years for my pickup and I still haven't had any recalls done yet. I did have the clutch update done, and reflash the brain for overheating issue on the Honda, but as soon as I got it back home I immediately checked everything before riding it. Sometimes there is just no avoiding the dealer visit. Buy the repair manual, best 70 bucks I have spent on this toy.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yea a bad experience can definitely change your behavior. I would talk to the manager first and see what their response is. Mistakes are going to happen and hopefully their response is a good one.

last oil change I had with my dealer I got my machine home (Friday) and later in the evening I noticed oil on the garage floor - mind you I was going riding the next day... I looked and saw that It appeared to be leaking from around the filter so I thought pinched seal. I was at the dealers sat morning when they opened- told them what I saw and they said lets get it in here and we will get you fixed up.

Turned out to be a pinched o ring - they cleaned up the ride, gave me a bottle of Honda brite and a T shirt and apologized and thanked me fore giving them the opportunity to fix their mistake..... should not have happened but they took care of it and continued to impress me.

So give them a chance and ultimately judge them on how they respond.

M

Mtnhunter

Dec 30, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I will give them another shot, i already paid for the services after all. I do regret buying the maintenance package now. I should have just realized if you want something done right you do it yourself. I'm not expecting any type of compensation for this mistake. I'm human, too. I've made far worse mistakes myself. I hope they believe me and take me serious is all.

I think it's a two year service package. I'm trying to make it a worthwhile purchase. I plan on riding everyday, maybe I'll put enough miles on it to get a few more services done before summer is over. checking fences and keeping an eye out for the poachers on 500 acres, the miles add up pretty quick.

I really love this machine. My father-in-law has a couple kawasaki mules that i used to operate. This pioneer walks all over a mule. No looking back now, I am hooked.

Reactions: Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I will give them another shot, i already paid for the services after all. I do regret buying the maintenance package now. I should have just realized if you want something done right you do it yourself. I'm not expecting any type of compensation for this mistake. I'm human, too. I've made far worse mistakes myself. I hope they believe me and take me serious is all.

I think it's a two year service package. I'm trying to make it a worthwhile purchase. I plan on riding everyday, maybe I'll put enough miles on it to get a few more services done before summer is over. checking fences and keeping an eye out for the poachers on 500 acres, the miles add up pretty quick.

I really love this machine. My father-in-law has a couple kawasaki mules that i used to operate. This pioneer walks all over a mule. No looking back now, I am hooked.
I hope the make it right

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!